JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
hmm, I used the old JVM code for the FTB launcher in the vanilla launcher without a problem, but if I now use the new JVM code for the FTB launcher for the vanilla launcher I crash with this code

Code:
[11:10:59 INFO]: Client> 2013-12-31 11:10:58 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] The following problems were captured during this phase
[11:11:03 INFO]: Client> 2013-12-31 11:11:03 [INFO] [STDERR] Exception in thread "Minecraft main thread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
[11:11:06 ERROR]: Game ended with bad state (exit code 1)
[11:11:06 INFO]: Deleting .minecraft\versions\1.6.4-Forge9.11.1.965\1.6.4-Forge9.11.1.965-natives-6382925887407
[11:11:06 INFO]: Ignoring visibility rule and showing launcher due to a game crash

it's not that much of a problem, as I can just keep using the old code. but I just thought of posting this code here just in case it might be of any use

The launcher is SUPPOSED to be setting -XX:permSize=256m now. I guess I'll have to add that back in to my arguments till I have time to slap someone...

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher is SUPPOSED to be setting -XX:permSize=256m now. I guess I'll have to add that back in to my arguments till I have time to slap someone...

do please note that this error comes from the vanilla launcher, as I took the JVM arguments for the FTB launcher, and used it on the vanilla launcher
so if you'd need to slap someone I guess it should be someone at Mojang you need to slap :p

I do have to say though, now that I used your updated JVM code for the FTB launcher which you posted about half an hour ago, and use it on the vanilla launcher, minecraft launches without a problem and the FPS actually improved quite a bit, so much thanks for that :)

Reactions: Eyamaz

TheWhiteTyger

Jul 29, 2019
Used the previous arguments and was able to turn old 800MHz DDR2 memory PCs into functioning FTB server and client. I noticed the new updated arguments which require Oracle Java 7 update 45 or higher, can I assume that these arguments will not work on a server with OpenJava running instead?

(Believe me, I have tried to switch OpenJava with Oracle Java with little to no success, still newb with Leenux. Clients do run Oracle Java on Leenux but server runs MineOS Turnkey Leenux.)

For those that don't know, Leenux = Linux

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Do we need to have the slider set at 2 gigs for these to be beneficial? I have 8 gigs, so would it be better for me to have the slider at 4 along with these arguments?

Arton123

Jul 29, 2019
And how do i work this into remotetoolkit? i would like to see if this fixes some of the lagg on my serveres. :)

This is my config for now:

Code:
#Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
#Mon Jan 06 16:28:39 UTC 2014
forced-restart-delay=5m
maximum-heap-size=30G
toolkit-autoshutdown-alerts=10m,5m,1m
disable-heartbeats-on-missing-plugin=true
restart-on-severe-exception=false
server-saveall-period=0
extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal,-XX\:PermSize\=256M,-XX\:NewRatio\=3,-XX\:SurvivorRatio\=3,-XX\:TargetSurvivorRatio=\80,-XX\:MaxTenuringThreshold=\8,-XX\:+UseParNewGC,-XX\:+UseConcMarkSweepGC,-XX\:MaxGCPauseMillis=\10,-XX\:GCPauseIntervalMillis=\50,-XX\:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=\7,-XX\:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent,-XX\:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly,-XX\:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=\60,-XX\:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs,-Xnoclassgc
force-save-on-restart=true
server-heartbeat-threshold=1m
server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,1m
minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
initial-heap-size=4G
overridden-process-arguments=
failed-heartbeat-restart-count=5
filter-ansi-escape-codes=auto
severe-exception-detection-level=1
enable-jline=true
server-arguments=--nojline,nogui
toolkit-autoshutdown-delay=0
server-restart-delay=5h
import-properties=false

Last edited:

Netboygold

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running FTB Monsterpack 1.0.3 on MineOS Turnkey Linux (Debian) Adding these arguments made a major difference. The severe block lag we had was gone and it even seems to use less memory. My server hasn't lagged at all since I added these. BIG thank you.

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
Cool I'll try this. Right now I'm just using the default settings but I did add -Xincgc which lowered memory use a lot, but how come you're not using it?
Are you using -Xnoclassgc instead maybe?

Edit: Talking about server settings.

Jerzerak

Jul 29, 2019
Java 7 Update 51 just came out will you be updating these to run with it or sticking to Update 45?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'll look at what changed over the weekend, but they should run fine. The only reason they require u45 is for certain updates that are not present pre-u45 to the CMS collector. Those changes should not have been removed from u51.

SneakySpriggs

Jul 29, 2019
I assume these arguments don't work in correlation with Optifine? I seem to be fine with one or the other, but when both are on the game crashes during loading.

edit: Nope never mind, it crashes whenever I use arguments now :/ Not sure why, just want to run with less stuttering!

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I assume these arguments don't work in correlation with Optifine? I seem to be fine with one or the other, but when both are on the game crashes during loading.

edit: Nope never mind, it crashes whenever I use arguments now :/ Not sure why, just want to run with less stuttering!

Optifine breaks things in several mods due to those mods using custom rendering that optifine interferes with.

The arguments shouldn't prevent you from running minecraft at all. Log please.

Arton123

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine breaks things in several mods due to those mods using custom rendering that optifine interferes with.

The arguments shouldn't prevent you from running minecraft at all. Log please.

Hey Eyamaz, could you check my post please i need your help. :)

Croaganey

Mar 8, 2013
Are the settings in the OP optimal for single player offline use? (related: is that SSP?) I thought maybe I'm applying these settings incorrectly and it might be adding to my troubles with my game.

I am overwhelmed with "Memory overburdened" errors in the console with Permgen set to 256 instead of 512 in either FTB or MultiMC5 launcher.

I am also seeing lots of " Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" messages and a weird skipping lagginess. Punching a tree will get the wood, then pop back into place and need punched again, animals will freeze then jump 10 blocks when I try to punch them. It can be as frequent as every two minutes.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
12GB RAM
Win 7 64-bit
Java 7u45
MultiMC5 (preferred, FTB launcher sames issues)
Horizons 1.0.10

Thanks!