JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Try what keybouce said below. I believe I was thinking about the no right click part of older Mac mice. :oops: I should have known that there was a Control button on the Mac keyboard.

Have you tried Option button+V, or what ever paste button is for Mac, while being able to type in the box? I know that on windows you can press control+V and this will paste them in. Simply right clicking does not work.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
On the mac, try using ctrl-v instead of command-v. This is especially true if you are using java 7.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
It should yes.

just tried it, and indeed my FPS went up. it's not as high as when I use the vanilla launcher, because then I get a FPS around the 120-150FPS but now I do get a good 35-40FPS through the FTB launcher, and that's usually the FPS I play at
it does still sometimes plummet down to about 15-20FPS, but not as often as it used to

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Java, for it's "infinite" wisdom, decided that letting the OS control things was a bad idea.

In fairness, this happened because the old AWT system did this. All java apps would behave like native apps. But, java never spelled out exactly what was expected from a given widget, and it turned out that at the time, there was a wide variety in widget behavior across OS's. (This was when there were a dozen different GUI/Os's. Not two or three.)

To fix this, and make the behavior "write once, run anywhere", java was changed with swing, so that behavior was now controlled by java, and identical everywhere. The "look-and-feel" that sun wrote for java was similar, but not identical, to microsoft windows. (If you were used to doing keyboard control of MS windows, you found the differences right away; if you were used to mouse control, you might never notice the differences.)

But in doing so, "copy"/"paste" was changed from OS controlled behavior, to java controlled behavior. And they used the MS windows "ctrl-c/ctrl-v".

So, on any system, copy/paste will use that behavior.

Now, Apple shipped a special version of java for at least 1.4, if not 1.3 through 1.6; this made an attempt to make java programs behave like mac native apps instead of windows-native apps. It was not a 100% perfect re-implementation of the look and feel (could not be; java had specified some required behaviors that broke the mac gui), and caused some other issues (forge's installer does not work in mac java 6; the gui fails to appear).

With java 7, there is no apple, only oracle.

brail

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone please explain to me how I would go about using jvm arguments on a server that is hosted by prominecrafthost? I have no idea what I am doing. Is this something I can do somehow, or do I need to contact the hosting company and have them do it or what? I've tried googling and searching this thread but I couldnt find anything that explained it suitably. I am just completely lost, and my server is stuck offline over out of memory errors :[

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Can someone please explain to me how I would go about using jvm arguments on a server that is hosted by prominecrafthost? I have no idea what I am doing. Is this something I can do somehow, or do I need to contact the hosting company and have them do it or what? I've tried googling and searching this thread but I couldnt find anything that explained it suitably. I am just completely lost, and my server is stuck offline over out of memory errors :[

That would depend on the OS the server is running and the type of access you have to it. If you have root access you should be able to locate and edit the script that is used to launch minecraft. From what I see on their site they don't give that type of access. So I guess it depends on what you can set in their panel.

Matakor

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance we could get an update with the Java 8 beta arguments? For those of us that use them?

Currently I'm using this set for MultiMC5/Java8, and it's worked out great for now, but I'm curious to see if there's an update or a better option:

Code:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance we could get an update with the Java 8 beta arguments? For those of us that use them?

Currently I'm using this set for MultiMC5/Java8, and it's worked out great for now, but I'm curious to see if there's an update or a better option:

Code:
-Xmn2G -Xss4M -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:+UseLargePages -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:+UseBiasedLocking -Xincgc -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:ParallelGCThreads=10 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
I'm guessing @Eyamaz will update the arguments once java 8 is fully released.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing @Eyamaz will update the arguments once java 8 is fully released.

That appears to be his plan.

WAAAAAY Back on the second page he said (and has re-stated once or twice since then)
I will NEVER recommend an early release build for java. I've said this more than a few times in various threads. They lack proper security patches. If you use one, you do so at your own risk.

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Curious, I used the FTB launcher args and my Minecraft seems to stop and start. Take them out and run with just PermSize=256m it all runs fine. Anyone have any idea why, because it's got me stumped.

Edit: I should clarify the starting and stopping. It runs fine for about 15-20 secs then stops for about 1 sec and repeats every about 20 secs.

Last edited:

Yosomith

Jul 29, 2019
Stops for a second, and then resumes? Regular, or semi-regular stutters?

Can you post your garbage collection log? http://gist.github.com

Just tested with the Direwolf 20 pack and it's not as bad there. Timing it as best I can it's regular stutters every 4 secs for less then 1 sec but still a visible stutter. Since the main pack I play uses almost (but not quite) twice as many mods it was worse (the pack has a crash issue I need to work out before I can test it at the moment, it's an easy fix though). As for the GC log, I don't know enough about java to know where to find or how to get the log.

l0uch3

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I have been trying to get FTB Unleashed to run in a somewhat playable manner with the settings recommended in this thread, I use the standard FTB launcher and just followed the instructions to paste the commands and set allocated mem to 2Gb. First thing that happens when I do that: http://pastebin.com/GXdbNkeY It simply runs out of memory, I allocate any more then 2Gb (aka 4Gb and up), it starts off fine but as the world loads it starts to stutter up to a point where it becomes unplayable, adding on to that, it decides to eat trough 10+Gigs of RAM. For reference, here's a pastebin from when I used 4Gb RAM with the same JVM commands: http://pastebin.com/CywpdStW

I also tried running Unleashed with the MultiMC Manager, followed all the steps but the same things happen.

My specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V DELUXE (LGA1155)
Graphics
ASUS PA238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Hard Drives
119GB M4-CT128M4SSD2 (SSD)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 (SATA)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00ER1A0 (SATA)
466GB Seagate ST9500325AS (SATA)
466GB Seagate ST950032 5AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I downgraded my Java 7 form u45 to u25 because I read this in another post from Eyamaz about stutter removal, fyi things were just as bad before the downgrade.

Last edited:

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I have been trying to get FTB Unleashed to run in a somewhat playable manner with the settings recommended in this thread, I use the standard FTB launcher and just followed the instructions to paste the commands and set allocated mem to 2Gb. First thing that happens when I do that: http://pastebin.com/GXdbNkeY It simply runs out of memory, I allocate any more then 2Gb (aka 4Gb and up), it starts off fine but as the world loads it starts to stutter up to a point where it becomes unplayable, adding on to that, it decides to eat trough 10+Gigs of RAM. For reference, here's a pastebin from when I used 4Gb RAM with the same JVM commands: http://pastebin.com/CywpdStW

I also tried running Unleashed with the MultiMC Manager, followed all the steps but the same things happen.

My specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V DELUXE (LGA1155)
Graphics
ASUS PA238 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Hard Drives
119GB M4-CT128M4SSD2 (SSD)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 (SATA)
932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00ER1A0 (SATA)
466GB Seagate ST9500325AS (SATA)
466GB Seagate ST950032 5AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Edit: Forgot to mention that I downgraded my Java 7 form u45 to u25 because I read this in another post from Eyamaz about stutter removal, fyi things were just as bad before the downgrade.

No, you need u45 (or above, if they ever push the build I've been waiting for) to utilize some of java newest performance increases.

As far as your memory error, it's an error with java's gpu memory buffer. Make sure you have to most up to date drivers for your card. If you're using a texture pack, try disabling it.

l0uch3

Jul 29, 2019
No, you need u45 (or above, if they ever push the build I've been waiting for) to utilize some of java newest performance increases.

As far as your memory error, it's an error with java's gpu memory buffer. Make sure you have to most up to date drivers for your card. If you're using a texture pack, try disabling it.
First of all, thank you for your reply. I'll reinstall u45 and see if that brings any change.

Edit: Just reinstalled u45, installed latest update for my GPU driver and rebooted. Ran FTB launcher with jvm commands @ 2Gb and got : http://pastebin.com/fy6TBYcp
Out of memory error.

Edit: Resolved by switching resolution of texturepack, you sir have my thanks.

Last edited:

Darkmega

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty then. So, I'm trying to use these to help mitigate "burst lag" as I call it. or in otherwords, those little frame stutters that happen every few seconds when java seems to clean some memory then immediately fill it back up and then clean it out again and so on.

I've notice that on my old pack played in the standard launcher which was a transposed "Moon quest" modpack with my own modifications when I had an older java version would allow me to use things like Xmx and xms and the permgen thing to set the ram (and actually have it show in the F3 menu) and that permgen space so I'd stop running out after a little while of playing was fine. But when I saw this stuff I updated to java 64 bit u45 (and I recently installed the 32 bit version too so the oracle pages java checker would stop chucking a wobbly at me saying there was no java and to make sure everything worked) and I saw all the shiny new modpacks in the FTB launcher. (and prior to this I did have both bit versions installed and the arguments WERE working)

So I went to play the direwolf pack... (with a hint of horizon, a pinch of imfamy and a handful of my "usual" mods) and despite having the slider set to 2 gig and the usual xmx xms and permgen space arguments in there the game lagged when the massive moonquest pack I had been playing nearly a month prior had worked like a charm (only stuttering up and lagging when the world was moved around too much, but that's common place to me since generation is kinda heavy usually), and it seemed that I wasn't getting the 2 gig I was meant to be getting but 1 gig (980 something megs in F3 menu) which puzzled me. So i tried your java arguments in there, set it to 2 gigs (where it had always been from the start of me ever using FTB) and loaded it up. nothing. still stuttering still on 980 something megs in the F3 menu.
I thought maybe the launcher was at fault (launcher 1.3.2 at this point) so I took the pack and chucked it in the standard minecraft launcher where moonquest had been and loaded it up with the standard issue arguments I had always loaded moonquest up with. nothing, it was also sitting on 980 gig constantly despite the arguments which had used to work (hadn't touched them. just renamed the old config and mods folder and threw in the mod and config folder from the direpack)

So in short the question is, do you have any possible reasons why suddenly after a java update my minecraft refuses to be augmented with arguments like it used to only a little less than a month prior. I've got a major itch to play minecraft but java and minecrafts non-compliance is figuretively driving me up the wall. >_> I had considered reinstalling just as a last try thing but I figured I'd ask here first.

Darkmega

Jul 29, 2019
It sounds like it's defaulting to a 32-bit Java version, which would explain the RAM cap.

actually, for a little while since I started trying to make it work I only had the 64 bit one and it still didn't work. i only recently re-did a 32 bit just to make the java site and anything else I might run into happy. it was the same back with the moonquest pack, I had both on and they were doin the right thing.

although, in the case that you're right, how does one check what it's defaulting to and if it is being defaulted to, how does one set it to the 64 bit version without having to reinstall one outright?

edit: I just noticed a "thing". In the snoopers menu i was trying to see if they pick up what bit version you're sitting on. it didn't, but I did notice in there my java arguments. However there were 2 there on the end. Namely after my xmx and xms to set the RAM usage, there was another Xmx and Xms setting it back to 1G again. it puzzles me also. Could that be doing it? Cause I have noticed that I can keep playing regardless even if the lag gets so bad without crashing cause of permgen space which probably means it's working it's just for some reason being reverse set back to 1G on me from somewhere... (probably some obscure location in the java control panel or something. i dunno... or maybe minecraft has gotten an upgrade to it's level of "Screw you" and it always automatically sets itself to that?)

Last edited: