JVM Arguments for Modded Minecraft (Updated 12/30/13)

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
that is because you used the server one in the launcher...

There is no xmx arg in the launcher one.

Greg_

Jul 29, 2019
I wish that was the case. I just tested again using the launcher one and I still get that error. I have a feeling that something is wrong with my Java (I have fresh installed over 7 times now though...), because none of the troubleshooting tips on here are helping my problem.

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
  1. [15:50:28] [WARN] FileOutputStream.open:-2->LauncherStyle.load:92: Could not save style: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\djohn_000\AppData\Roaming\ftblauncher\launcher_styles\defaultStyle.cfg (The system cannot find the path specified)
Not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

You could also try removing the xms argument as it is reporting invalid xms/xmx at the end.

Greg_

Jul 29, 2019
I tried removing the xms part and that seemed to get rid of that problem. Although I still have the other problem :http://pastebin.com/X23qVFhj (which I think is a crash caused by running out of memory(but I really have no idea))

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
make sure you have the permgen set to 256. I find that if a launcher gets stuck at forgemultipart, as your did, it is a permgen error, or not enough total memory.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Greg, go to windows control panel > programs > java
and remove -Xmx512m from the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable

FoulCrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Greg, go to windows control panel > programs > java
and remove -Xmx512m from the _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable
I think the place to remove it is in the Windows Environment Variables, NOT in the Java control panel. Of course if it's in the Java control panel, it needs to be removed from there.

I've been having a similar error where "-Xmx512M" is being added to the end of the FTB launcher JVM options, thus overriding the RAM maximum slider setting. Based on Eyamaz's post, quoted above, I right-clicked my Computer icon (windows 7), selected Properties, then selected Advanced system settings, and then clicked the Environment Variables button. In the System variables I find, as the first entry, "_JAVA_OPTIONS" with a value of "-Xmx512M". Deleting that entry has resolved my out of heap memory issues and I can run the Horizons modpack with 6GB.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
It usually appears in both places, removing one or the other fixes it. In any event, he had PMed me prior and had already fixed it by doing what I said. No big.
The arguments in the OP will hopefully be being updated soon.

Reactions: lavarthan

Arthuras

Jul 29, 2019
Well I tried copying the server argument into my servers batch file and replacing what was already there and when I try to run the server batch file a command window flashes open then closes before I can read much :(
I checked for spaces at the end and beginning and there are none. I didn't even adjust the RAM to the desired amount yet. I just uninstalled my current java 7(64-bit)and installed the updated one for 64-bit and still the same problem.
Was hoping to help speed up the server a bit, but not getting very far yet.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Status update: my 16 GB chips died. I've re-installed the old 4 GB chips, and am testing them now.

Boy, this PPC is slow -- I used to think this speed was ok? What was I on?

Arthuras

Jul 29, 2019
So I added pause as you said and it held the window open and I got this http://pastebin.com/DTnr2NhH

The part that stood out to me was this
  1. '-Xms2048m' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
  2. operable program or batch file.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That is because these things are arguments, not commands. They are things that add onto a command. What you've been doing, to give you a comparison, is to try to hang your christmas tree ornaments without having a christmas tree. Of course they won't stay put in empty air and everything will "crash" ;)

The actual command you need to give your computer is "launch a program". Then you can add the arguments that say "...and launch it specifically like this".

Minecraft is a java program, so your command is "java" or "java.exe" (both are equal). It tells your computer to "launch a java program". Which one? That is specified with the first argument: "-jar minecraftforge-universal-1.6.4-9.11.1.953.jar". Depending on what version of forge you are running, that name might look different for you. So, now you are telling your computer: "launch a java program, specifically this one". And then you can copy the rest of the arguments you found in this thread after what you already have. Then you final command says: "launch a java program, specifically this one, and do it with this much memory and this garbage collector configured like so" and so on.

java.exe -jar minecraftforge-universal-1.6.4-9.11.1.953.jar -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m ...and so on and so forth

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The arguments listed were for the new launcher, not the old launcher. Some things need to be fixed for them to work correctly.