Jampacked: We have a winner | Material Energy^3

Ogreboy

Jul 29, 2019
Well done too all who participate! My fav was Crashlanding, and well done Iskandar.[DOUBLEPOST=1412518092][/DOUBLEPOST]
kJgEYEN.jpg

This
It looks like a stove.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
No and the requirements for JamPacked 2 are undecided as of yet

Just wondering, can we know if HQM is likely to be essential this time round? I've been doing some looking around, and I think mods like customNPCs are just as good if not better than HQM for certain types of map. I've been planning my idea for my map, and kind of got to the point where I realised I didn't really need HQM any more, and it would just get in the way with what I want to do.

I think if some kind of questing/storyline mod is essential, we should at least have a choice of a few quest mods like HQM, customNPCs, etc.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Just wondering, can we know if HQM is likely to be essential this time round? I've been doing some looking around, and I think mods like customNPCs are just as good if not better than HQM for certain types of map. I've been planning my idea for my map, and kind of got to the point where I realised I didn't really need HQM any more, and it would just get in the way with what I want to do.

I think if some kind of questing/storyline mod is essential, we should at least have a choice of a few quest mods like HQM, customNPCs, etc.
Lore Expansion would work too

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I'm guessing we're not being told anything until the official announcement, but will the competition be specific to 1.7.10, or open for 1.7.X? Some 1.7.2 mods are incompatible or only partially compatible with 1.7.10.

I hope this starts soon, I'm kinda excited about trying this again!

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna be a bit, I posted this here for anyone who wants to look. Jampacked 2 sometime early next year.

Dammit. Are we allowed to start work on our packs before, or do we have to wait until announcements? If not, I'll probably make my entry and release it outside of the contest as I kind of want to start soon, and it'll take me a while anyway.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Dammit. Are we allowed to start work on our packs before, or do we have to wait until announcements? If not, I'll probably make my entry and release it outside of the contest as I kind of want to start soon, and it'll take me a while anyway.
I have no idea. We haven't really discussed it. But 3 or 4 months would be a long time to wait to get started. I would suggest doing your pack now, then see where you are when it starts. You'll probably get a lot of experience and have an even better idea to work on then.

ManicJamie

Jul 29, 2019
All the better to play your epic modpack with!
But seriously, I find major issues with lag, due to my computer's extremely low RAM :(
But still a good pack![DOUBLEPOST=1413974668][/DOUBLEPOST]
CONGRATS but its so hard where the hell Is the oak wood... ...where the hell Is the compost OMG I was/am SO confused, but its an amazing pack cant wait to see what you do next :)
If you go downstairs in the Inclusion Chamber, and follow the path, there's a huge pile of dirt. Just dig through that until you find a chestwith an oak sapling in!

Easier said than done, even with the adormarine shovel it took me at LEAST 10 mins :( Perhaps room for improvement?

Talonos

Jul 29, 2019
As to the team event. Our current plan is to relaunch this competition for 1.7. All the entries from the original competition have been contacted and notified and we are waiting to here feedback from them all before confirming this 100%. However as long as everything goes OK, I am currently thinking of running this through 2nd half October and first half of November.

Any word on this? It's been quite some time.

Reactions: Yulife

Talonos

Jul 29, 2019
So, the official word on the team event was midway through a different thread, written by somebody other than the OP of the contest thread. No wonder I didn't see it.

What does "The current up and coming packs won't have to worry about being eligible" mean? Does that imply that teams currently working on packs (since, say, a week before last contest ended) will be eligible, or are so ineligible it would be unreasonable to worry about whether you qualify? Because I can see that line going both ways.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Yup. We're not exactly a professional organization here.

For the original jampacked, there was a fair amount of trouble with packs that were started before the announcement of the contest. Because of that, some people were holding off on making packs so they would be eligible for the second jampacked. Since said contest wasn't happening any time soon, I was saying they shouldn't worry about waiting for it and go ahead with their packs.

We haven't even begun to talk about rules, or even a timeline, for jampacked 2, so I have no idea which packs will be eligible and which won't.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Talonos

Jul 29, 2019
Then I am officially ticked.

Captainnana told us via PM that the team entries all had potential, but that all were either incomplete or had game breaking bugs. When I heard from captainanna that the contest would be "relaunched" for 1.7.10, I thought that the purpose was to improve the quality of the previously existing 1.6.4 packs that had errors (while updating them to 1.7.10). Because of that, I started immediately working on porting my pack to 1.7.10.

Worse yet, I've been PMing captainanna once a month since the contest started, and getting no reply. Figuring that the 1.7.10 version of my pack might be required at any point, I've been trying to keep it within 48 sleepless crunch-time hours of being shippable, while making small improvements the whole way. I've been refining it and working on it since receiving the initial PM from captainanna. Now, I hear that because I was excited enough about the "Upcoming team relaunch sometime early next month" to work on my entry, my work might be disqualified, depending on rules that haven't been written yet? How is this fair for the people who worked on team packs during the first mod-jam?

I guess, frustration aside, I want to ask: What concessions will be made to the pack authors who skipped class to work 12+ hours a day on their modpacks in the first mod-jam, only to have their division cancelled out from under them? (Because holding off the team division judging until the next contest, which requires new modpacks, and disallowing previous entries is cancelling the team division of the contest.)

(If it matters at all, the 1.7.10 version of my pack is not yet publicly released anywhere. I was worried something like this might happen, and have been holding onto my pack just in case.)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
When that mid-october deadline had passed with no indication of jampacked 2, I had a chat with slow and we determined that we couldn't manage to run the competition again so soon. So I posted it wasn't going to happen, with the intention, as I said, that packs would NOT have to be kept under wraps and people could go ahead and release.

I can't speak for nana, and I don't know what he told you that indicated it would be relaunched immediately. But I highly doubt it involved 48 hour deadlines. If you are skipping classes for a chance to win a thousand dollar computer, that's on you, not us. Any provisions we make in the rules for existing packs will apply to everyone equally.

While I am the first to admit communication can be one of our biggest problems, I did actually mention it just a few posts up. In a similar vein, I am hoping to help get jampacked 2 structured a bit better so things like this don't happen again.

Reactions: Nerixel

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Then I am officially ticked.

Captainnana told us via PM that the team entries all had potential, but that all were either incomplete or had game breaking bugs. When I heard from captainanna that the contest would be "relaunched" for 1.7.10, I thought that the purpose was to improve the quality of the previously existing 1.6.4 packs that had errors (while updating them to 1.7.10). Because of that, I started immediately working on porting my pack to 1.7.10.

Worse yet, I've been PMing captainanna once a month since the contest started, and getting no reply. Figuring that the 1.7.10 version of my pack might be required at any point, I've been trying to keep it within 48 sleepless crunch-time hours of being shippable, while making small improvements the whole way. I've been refining it and working on it since receiving the initial PM from captainanna. Now, I hear that because I was excited enough about the "Upcoming team relaunch sometime early next month" to work on my entry, my work might be disqualified, depending on rules that haven't been written yet? How is this fair for the people who worked on team packs during the first mod-jam?

I guess, frustration aside, I want to ask: What concessions will be made to the pack authors who skipped class to work 12+ hours a day on their modpacks in the first mod-jam, only to have their division cancelled out from under them? (Because holding off the team division judging until the next contest, which requires new modpacks, and disallowing previous entries is cancelling the team division of the contest.)

(If it matters at all, the 1.7.10 version of my pack is not yet publicly released anywhere. I was worried something like this might happen, and have been holding onto my pack just in case.)

Skipping real-world obligations trying to win a contest carries it's own consequences and is a personal choice.

You deserve "special concessions" no more than someone who skips work every lottery day deserves a paycheck, in my opinion.

Reactions: Nerixel