JamPacked II

Jackcat136

Jul 29, 2019
NOOOoooo...

Sigh. A "last minute" change, this morning, to actually put in the extra coal veins that I was planning on doing but never got around to.

Except, as I'm plugging the lava leaks, I discover that ores are not considered "supporting stone" by reasonable realism ... Most of the extra holes are easy enough to plug, but I got over to the stronghold library, one of your quest points basically ... and it's completely gutted by fire from a lava leak where coal didn't support stone and the roof collapsed.

Ayye.

Fixable? Yes. Not in the remaining 25 minutes. To ship something now, I have to ship my debugging map.
Bad luck. Maybe next time? :p

Ar13mis

Jul 29, 2019
Is there somewhere we can go to play the packs that were posted now? Or do we have to wait until after judging is closed.

Sadly I wasn't able to get a map done that I was proud of. Maybe next year.

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
Is there somewhere we can go to play the packs that were posted now? Or do we have to wait until after judging is closed.

I was cutting it really close on the deadline, I'm only now getting the chance to do a full play test so mine won't be public till I fix a few balance issues. There are probably others in the same boat so more packs may pop up over time.
Hunger overhaul on default is a really mean mod. I'm mainly tweaking that since I only wanted it to add a little challenge not make the game super agonizing to play lol.

On a side note, do the entries have to be judged based on the zip submitted or will the judges be able to play the public versions?

Last edited:

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I was cutting it really close on the deadline, I'm only now getting the chance to do a full play test so mine won't be public till I fix a few balance issues. There are probably others in the same boat so more packs may pop up over time.
Hunger overhaul on default is a really mean mod. I'm mainly tweaking that since I only wanted it to add a little challenge not make the game super agonizing to play lol.

On a side note, do the entries have to be judged based on the zip submitted or will the judges be able to play the public versions?
Packs will be judged based on the zip submitted.

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
There were a few broken quests in the one I submitted and some annoying hunger overhaul restrictions that I only caught the next day. I apologize in advance to the people having to play that version. :(

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I know the feeling.

I'm going to redo the map for the public version. I love both Draco's unstable stones, and flowing fluids that fill caves, but the combination of the two is ... too much "fun".

Remember, a creeper's Ka-Boom may be followed by a Ka-Lapse.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
I had an early quest to craft a wooden hoe and was unaware the recipe had been removed by hunger overhaul also the crop growth nerf it adds is brutal. The poor testers might starve to death waiting for those crops to grow even with a watering can.
Thaumic expansion's analyzer also kept turning to bedrock in the quest book every time I loaded a new world. Next time I'll be better with my time management and leave room for extensive survival mode testing.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I had an early quest to craft a wooden hoe and was unaware the recipe had been removed by hunger overhaul also the crop growth nerf it adds is brutal. The poor testers might starve to death waiting for those crops to grow even with a watering can.
Thaumic expansion's analyzer also kept turning to bedrock in the quest book every time I loaded a new world. Next time I'll be better with my time management and leave room for extensive survival mode testing.
There is a VERY good reason I did not even ATTEMPT HQM for this competition. 2 months is not NEARLY enough time to right a good set of quests and get them thoroughly bug tested.

Reactions: psp

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed.

I have one sign, and a README text file.
The one sign has sufficient quests to count (bake a cake :) ), and the text file goes into what would have made the primary HQM line, ignoring side quests and step-by-step pieces.

Last edited:

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting... Good to know... Interesting...

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy HQM packs and even though there are some hiccups I had a lot of fun writing quests and making reward bag loot. I spent hours just making lots of silly and fun rewards.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy HQM packs and even though there are some hiccups I had a lot of fun writing quests and making reward bag loot. I spent hours just making lots of silly and fun rewards.
When I play around, things don't end well.
It usually ends up with my computer crashing and/or something like this.
[20:45:47] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 12216ms behind, skipping 244 tick(s)

I don't really understand why I can't have a modpack with 300+ mods... After all, by 2049 a supercomputer will have been created that will have a computational ability greater than every human, combined, that existed up to that point.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
[20:45:47] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 12216ms behind, skipping 244 tick(s)

I don't really understand why I can't have a modpack with 300+ mods... After all, by 2049 a supercomputer will have been created that will have a computational ability greater than every human, combined, that existed up to that point.
Blame Notch and Mojang who have no idea how to optimize anything. And then toss a few hundred modders who ALSO have no idea how to optimize anything, and I'm honestly surprised modded Minecraft actually runs AT ALL.

Reactions: Lethosos and psp

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, modded (jvm: size++) Minecraft runs (jvm: size++) just fine.
(jvm: size ++)
Just realize that (jvm: size++) the memory needed (full GC) will go (full GC) up (full GC) a (full GC) s (full GC) y(full GC)o(full GC)
Out of memory failure

Reactions: Hambeau

karmarcharger

Jul 29, 2019

Blame Notch and Mojang who have no idea how to optimize anything. And then toss a few hundred modders who ALSO have no idea how to optimize anything, and I'm honestly surprised modded Minecraft actually runs AT ALL.
It means a mod is having issues... try removing mods to find out the mod that is causing it...

Do note, modders are mainly hobbyist they are not professional coders from #microsoft.... Then again do remember Notch wasnt the best either....

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

the crop growth nerf it adds is brutal. The poor testers might starve to death waiting for those crops to grow even with a watering can.

You're not kidding! I added HO and Pam's into FTB Lite 2, just for kicks. I have starved to death a dozen times; not been killed by a mob once!

On topic: are there any official channels that will be streaming or doing videos of the entries, and/or the winner when they're announced? It would be great to see the best the contest had to offer all in one place :)

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like less people are covering minecraft in general these days. Some of the youtubers I watched play modded minecraft in the past are moving on to new games. I was hoping something like this contest was going to bring people back but its still early days so we'll have to wait and see.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

You forgot to mention Java, a programming language nearly impossible to optimize, with a "clean-up" system (AKA Garbage Collection) that chokes on it's own vomit... :D

Ar13mis

Jul 29, 2019
On topic: are there any official channels that will be streaming or doing videos of the entries, and/or the winner when they're announced? It would be great to see the best the contest had to offer all in one place :)

I may play them but I'm not an official FTB channel, or even related to FTB in any way, shape, or form. I just like a good mudpack :)