JamPacked II

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
frumble frumblefrumble ... works in his setup, doesn't work in mine ... frumble frumble ...

How do other people assembling a modpack deal with "This works on his machine, but not on mine"?

(Amazing chickens is properly modifying the twilight forest labyrinths to replace some of the TNT traps with command blocks to summon a chicken, and it works fine for him. But for me, the redstone/command blocks are triggering as soon as the worldgen happens, and even a long-lived chicken has died of old-age before I can get to it.)
idki.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
frumble frumblefrumble ... works in his setup, doesn't work in mine ... frumble frumble ...

How do other people assembling a modpack deal with "This works on his machine, but not on mine"?

(Amazing chickens is properly modifying the twilight forest labyrinths to replace some of the TNT traps with command blocks to summon a chicken, and it works fine for him. But for me, the redstone/command blocks are triggering as soon as the worldgen happens, and even a long-lived chicken has died of old-age before I can get to it.)
Usually with much swearing. Occasionally, when nothing else helps, drinking until I stop caring works.

Seriously, there are more than a few mechanics that would have been awesome in both Crash Landing and Atonement that had to be abandoned because I couldn't get them stabilized enough to work reliably.

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
I've managed to get my mobs to spawn wearing specific armour with the mob properties mod but the item ids seem to have already changed from one world to another. It might have just been because the first world I used to look up the ids was really old. Is there a way to stop item ids from changing? Its not a big part of the pack, just a fun thing I wanted to add but it does help sell the theme.

Ar13mis

Jul 29, 2019
Well I just played through my map for the first time. And it stinks. Hope I can fix it before the 15th.

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
I've been adding and removing mods like crazy. Its been a bit of a mess but its getting there slowly. I've also changed the story a few times.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
We _FINALLY_ -- two of us working on it -- got the chicken summoning trap to work properly. Will that trip wire set off an explosion, or summon a chicken so you can get an egg for the cake?

... but they are dying instantly. The NBT tags to give them long life are not taking hold.

And if I disable all natural chickens, so I can get rid of the aging factor, then there's no feather supply for arrows.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
We _FINALLY_ -- two of us working on it -- got the chicken summoning trap to work properly. Will that trip wire set off an explosion, or summon a chicken so you can get an egg for the cake?

... but they are dying instantly. The NBT tags to give them long life are not taking hold.

And if I disable all natural chickens, so I can get rid of the aging factor, then there's no feather supply for arrows.
Tell you what, why not have a dispenser filled randomly with eggs, arrows, and TNT? Set it off instead of cutting the string, and you could lose your chance at a chicken! But I guess the whole idea was to have the player make a cake, so there's that.

Honestly, I think I should set up a challenge map with "feed the kekimurus" being the means by which you can fill a mana pool -- and only when the mana pool is full will you get the prize! So you can't just use one egg for one cake, you have to make a number of cakes to win. And making and dispensing them automatically is a good idea. Block placer, anyone? ;)

HeroGabe

Jul 29, 2019
I will try it... and see if I even can get it up, I know it is very late into the competition.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
10 days to go... Well, (most) of the map is finished, still got a few areas to make - I'm mainly concerned about how much time I have to balance it. I was hoping to get it done in time to have a few beta testers run through it, but it's probably a bit late for that now (if anyone would like to play through it though, send me a message and I'll send you a copy). This is probably going to be worked on right up until the last few hours - I wonder if I'll be up til 4pm on the closing date getting it finished, like last year.

Reactions: Watchful11

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Is it down to 10? ... Sheesh. Yea, I've got a similar issue -- I have to manually fix up some areas of "vanilla" worldgen (falling rocks ... is there any problem they can't both cause and solve? :0), _THEN_ make a copy (just in case), add in the gas (requiring repopulating old chunks), turn on the flowing lava oceans, and test ... and repeat every time I miss too big of a section of leaking oceans.

(I don't mind a little leak, but it needs to be small enough that you can actually make it to the stronghold before it gets buried by lava.)

... nether ... I could not find any nether fortress in reasonable range of the starting zone. The whole "nether fortress is the alternative to the stronghold" is ... more problematic than I thought. But there's still the twilight forest.

I've already had to give up on the idea of rare, scattered, aging natural chickens -- I could not get that balanced. So the chickens you get in the twilight forest are going to be "normal" (for some concept of normal).

... hmm ...
transformation powder on penguins might just be the easiest way after all.

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
10 days to go... Well, (most) of the map is finished, still got a few areas to make - I'm mainly concerned about how much time I have to balance it. I was hoping to get it done in time to have a few beta testers run through it, but it's probably a bit late for that now (if anyone would like to play through it though, send me a message and I'll send you a copy). This is probably going to be worked on right up until the last few hours - I wonder if I'll be up til 4pm on the closing date getting it finished, like last year.
ill play it when its done. dont have time now

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
One week.

Mods are fixed at what they are now.
... Bleeping incompatible forge change around 1350, can't upgrade only some.

No time to wait for bug X or Y to be fixed, have to implement work-arounds.
No time to work around other issues.

... and the map has to be fixed, now.