JamPacked II

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Things like this are making me less sure about the "open to interpretation" line in the first post, so I should probably ask for clarification.

So the traditional post-apocalyptic setup in this context would be "catastrophe befalls the denizens of the overworld, which you then have to rebuild". Does the crisis have to have happened to the overworld, specifically? I ask because I'm working on a pack where instead of "the forces of <hell/aliens/natural disasters> have screwed up the overworld", you have something like "the forces of the overworld have screwed up the other planes". The player is basically a minion of the Nether trying to restore his home to its former glory.

Would something like that be eligible? Thanks in advance.
The idea is to have the "safety net" of civilization gone. Whether civilization got blown up by nukes, or civilization was a race of zombie squids and most of them died when the oceans boiled away, it's about surviving and thriving by yourself, or with a small group, after the event. As long as there's no sense of, "all we have to do is survive until help arrives".

So yeah, alien invasion, even one by "normal people" on your home of "nether people" is fine.

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
As long as there's no sense of, "all we have to do is survive until help arrives".

I'm really glad you posted this. I like the idea of trying to make a home in a shattered world rather than just escaping it or returning it to what it used to be. I'm working on making the whole world affected by an event in different ways so there will still be a lot of variation in the environment. I don't have any experience modding minecraft or putting packs together so progress is really slow right now. :(

I've been using biome tweaker, climate control and extra biomes xl to remove and alter biomes. I plan to use something like ruins to add all the flavor and major features for each biome. I'd prefer to make new biomes from scratch but my progress is already at a snail's pace and there isn't a lot of time to complete the pack.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
The idea is to have the "safety net" of civilization gone. Whether civilization got blown up by nukes, or civilization was a race of zombie squids and most of them died when the oceans boiled away, it's about surviving and thriving by yourself, or with a small group, after the event. As long as there's no sense of, "all we have to do is survive until help arrives".

So yeah, alien invasion, even one by "normal people" on your home of "nether people" is fine.

So, I'm a reasonable way into my modpack and with all these clarifications I thought I should check what I'm doing is still within the boundaries:

Essentially the map is set in a ruined overworld in which the player must survive, however many resources, along with objective blocks are found in other 'worlds' that have been untouched by humans for long periods of time, and are unaffected by the disaster. Would this style of map, where the overworld is ruined, but other areas of the map are unaffected and uninhabited still fit into the theme of post-apocalypse?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Sounds fine to me. It might be stretching the theme a bit, but it would be valid to have the apocalypse, escape by teleporting into a brand new world and never looking back. Course that wouldn't be all that interesting, as the best bit of the apocalypse is scavenging from the ruined civilization, but it would work.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using biome tweaker, climate control and extra biomes xl to remove and alter biomes. I plan to use something like ruins to add all the flavor and major features for each biome. I'd prefer to make new biomes from scratch but my progress is already at a snail's pace and there isn't a lot of time to complete the pack.

Yea, I'm using Biome Tweaker for almost the same purpose. Again, no time to completely redo it (BT does allow adding new biomes from scratch, I just don't have the time to play with it).

Essentially the map is set in a ruined overworld in which the player must survive, however many resources, along with objective blocks are found in other 'worlds' that have been untouched by humans for long periods of time, and are unaffected by the disaster. Would this style of map, where the overworld is ruined, but other areas of the map are unaffected and uninhabited still fit into the theme of post-apocalypse?

Stop stealing my brain! :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds fine to me. It might be stretching the theme a bit, but it would be valid to have the apocalypse, escape by teleporting into a brand new world and never looking back. Course that wouldn't be all that interesting, as the best bit of the apocalypse is scavenging from the ruined civilization, but it would work.

But that requires an AgSkies-like rebuild stuff.

Maybe rebuild isn't an option. Maybe you don't have saplings to ores (aka Ex Nihilo).

... maybe saplings are just too rare in the overword ... :0)

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019

I used the term "world" very loosely there - they're more highly enclosed areas accessible through enhanced portals 3 portals, used mainly to add more variety in the terrain for the map, and give me a place to put dungeons. It won't be a sense of "travel to the world, stay there", it'll be a case of "find resources in world, make base in overworld". I suppose it would be possible to make a base in one of them, but it's not really the objective.

Stop stealing my brain! :)
Sorry... :p Hopefully if you're using biome tweaker though, it isn't too similar - I haven't used any random generation mechanics.

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Is it bad that I change my idea every 3 days?
Well, at this stage, yes.

I'd say just pick the idea you like most and go with it. If you're just starting now you're pushed for time no matter what, so you really need to pick something and create it to the best of your ability :)

Good luck making your pack!

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
Is it bad that I change my idea every 3 days?

Depends how fast you work. :p You could find ways to implement your new ideas into your original one. Just make sure you make the foundations first then see if you have time for the extras.

I'm currently trying to reign in my ideas, its easy to get over eager and plan all sorts of ambitious things. Just gotta write everything down then prioritize your ideas.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
ARggghhh ... 98% reliability on something I need 100% ... aarrrggghhh.

... must ... stop ... the trees ...

Velor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to keep the player bound to the overworld as it will have all the resources needed to finish the pack and I want to avoid the standard nether trip for resources. I wonder if there's a way to make nether portals explode instead of activating, perhaps the obsidian frame will turn into lit TNT.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
... you're giving the player everything they need in the overworld?

... well, technically, ... I suppose I am also. I'm expecting them to leave the overworld, but they could stay ...

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I'm planning to keep the player bound to the overworld as it will have all the resources needed to finish the pack and I want to avoid the standard nether trip for resources. I wonder if there's a way to make nether portals explode instead of activating, perhaps the obsidian frame will turn into lit TNT.
No but Sprinkles for Vanilla can disable Nether portals.

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
So I have a quick question... When I make a superflat world and try to add ore gen, (I have added different layers of blocks) The ore only generates in the stone layer. Is there a way past this?

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
Another issue, it also is not generating caves to my knowledge. Know a fix for this too?

Ryanasaurus

Jul 29, 2019
Another issue, it also is not generating caves to my knowledge. Know a fix for this too?
This is because you are generating a superflat world. I think there is an option when generating the world for caves (in the preset when you enter your own values) but I don't know it off the top of my head. Look on the Superflat page on the minecraft wiki

Reactions: Flipz

Kel_Co

Jul 29, 2019
This is because you are generating a superflat world. I think there is an option when generating the world for caves (in the preset when you enter your own values) but I don't know it off the top of my head. Look on the Superflat page on the minecraft wiki
There is only the option to generate decoration, which includes ores and stuff, but not caves. It is not an option in superflats, I was wondering if there was a mod that added it.