JamPacked II

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Let's put this discussion aside and see at the end what everyone will come up with. Fact is that this is about being creative :)

Reactions: psp

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Packs that have been publicly worked on before this announcement are not eligible.

I just found out about this (yea, almost a week late).

So last year I worked on "The Plundered Land" (yea, I finally gave it a name), and did not get anywhere near finishing.

This year, I'm almost on time, and I wanted to finish it, and write the rest of the quests. It does deal with an apocalyptic theme (there's a reason for the massive resource shortage).

But this restriction -- is a sequel/continuation/"the rest of the story" a "not eligible" thing? There has been no 1.7.10 work on it -- deliberately, because I was waiting for this contest.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I just found out about this (yea, almost a week late).

So last year I worked on "The Plundered Land" (yea, I finally gave it a name), and did not get anywhere near finishing.

This year, I'm almost on time, and I wanted to finish it, and write the rest of the quests. It does deal with an apocalyptic theme (there's a reason for the massive resource shortage).

But this restriction -- is a sequel/continuation/"the rest of the story" a "not eligible" thing? There has been no 1.7.10 work on it -- deliberately, because I was waiting for this contest.
No, that's fine. I'm more aiming to exclude packs that have an obvious advantage from work done before the announcement.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Good.

Meanwhile, I still need to work on a new ending. Old pack was going to end with using rotarycraft hydro engines to power a bedrock breaker (back in 164 you could skip almost the entire tech tree there). Now ... hmm, are there mods that let you create a custom boss mob and AI?

EDIT:
I'm more aiming to exclude packs that have an obvious advantage from work done before the announcement.
Then why not exclude packs that had been developed before the announcement, as opposed to those that had been publicly worked on? Someone could have been working in private.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Good.

Meanwhile, I still need to work on a new ending. Old pack was going to end with using rotarycraft hydro engines to power a bedrock breaker (back in 164 you could skip almost the entire tech tree there). Now ... hmm, are there mods that let you create a custom boss mob and AI?

EDIT:
Then why not exclude packs that had been developed before the announcement, as opposed to those that had been publicly worked on? Someone could have been working in private.
It would be impossible to figure out if someone worked on a pack before jampacked 2 was announced. (my theory)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
It would be impossible to figure out if someone worked on a pack before jampacked 2 was announced. (my theory)
Exactly this. I'm not up to playing cop on packs.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Could I make a video and use it as an intro to the map?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
I would guess so, I don't think there are any restrictions besides those in the original post. As long as the majority of play is in the modpack then whatever is fine.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, I'm actually tired of post-apoc. The results of this competition may be awesome modpacks, but... eh. Agrarian Skies (world ended, everything's gone, build the whole thing again from scratch), Crash Landing (world's a desert, cities are dead and full of monsters), Regrowth (something happened and the world is a dead wreck), and many others all illustrate that it's been done. Time to move on, find a new theme. I really don't understand why all these packs have to focus on "manifesto ex nihilo" (Ex Nihilo mod notwithstanding) when there is an unlimited selection of worthwhile, specific themes (and mechanics) that could have been chosen.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So ... you want to make a new thread for people to propose themes for contest #3?

Vanilla minecraft is, arguably, a post-apocalyptic setting. Steve knows how to make all sorts of stuff, even diamond-tipped record player needles are within his ability. Minecarts can be coal/steam powered, or electric powered. Something horrible caused the undead to rise, and most of the population to go poof (just look at how few people are found even in villages). And, no one said that your goal has to be to rebuilt society; maybe your goal is just to chew gum and kick ... you know.

Really, the only clue to the disaster that destroyed society has to do with those obsidian portals and the land of firey weak stone on the other side of it. Clearly, something happened that man was not meant to know.

Reactions: pndragon65 and ljfa

knoxz

Jul 29, 2019
I have written a small mod where you can specify custome ore gen really easy. It's really good if you have dimensional progression.
We have used it on a private pack with "space" progression from galacticraft.
You can specify which ore you want to generate in which dimension and which block you want to replace. Let me give you an example from our configs.
We disabeled Uran and Yellorite generation and added a custom spawn to only spawn it on mars. So people have to progress through galacticraft to build their reactors.
Code:
{"name":"Yellorite","dimension":-29,"chanceToSpawn":5,"oreid":"BigReactors:YelloriteOre","meta":0,"replaceid":"GalacticraftMars:tile.mars","minY":5,"maxY":60}
{"name":"Uranium","dimension":-29,"chanceToSpawn":5,"oreid":"IC2:blockOreUran","meta":0,"replaceid":"GalacticraftMars:tile.mars","minY":5,"maxY":60}

Or our Infinity Server had the problem with Draconium beeing really rare, because the end was stripped clean after 1-2 days after reset, so we added draconium ore gen in the Bedrock dimension.
Code:
{"name":"Draconium","dimension":-19,"chanceToSpawn":10,"oreid":"DraconicEvolution:draconiumOre","meta":0,"replaceid":"minecraft:bedrock","minY":10,"maxY":120}

you could also automaticly spawn every block you desire anywhere you want.
How about some noteblocks in the nether and disable the recipe. Let people go mining for them. No problem!

Would someone be interessted in a mod like this to customize ore generation? I also think this has a lot more potencial then just customizeable ore generation.
I might go public in a few days after my exams.

Reactions: psp

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, I'm actually tired of post-apoc. The results of this competition may be awesome modpacks, but... eh. Agrarian Skies (world ended, everything's gone, build the whole thing again from scratch), Crash Landing (world's a desert, cities are dead and full of monsters), Regrowth (something happened and the world is a dead wreck), and many others all illustrate that it's been done. Time to move on, find a new theme. I really don't understand why all these packs have to focus on "manifesto ex nihilo" (Ex Nihilo mod notwithstanding) when there is an unlimited selection of worthwhile, specific themes (and mechanics) that could have been chosen.

It is a familiar theme in minecraft for many reasons:
-Minecraft is about building, and a bit of exploration. Starting from nothing and building up resources, infrastructure, and food.
-Minecraft has, as one of its few basic mobs, the zombie.
-RPG's at their core are a building game. Start at level 1, work your way up, gaining power, and better items. No matter what anyone says, you are all still playing games influenced by Dungeons and Dragons. This influence is everywhere in modern gaming.
-A vast percentage of tech and magic mods available to use have progression and building at their core.
-Zombie apocalypse is a huge theme in other literature.
-End of the world and rebirth is a hugely popular theme in other literature.
-Other themes are more difficult to work with: Romance? Westerns? Space Operera? Crime? I'm not saying you don't have other themes to work with, or you can't work with them, or that you can't list several. Just that they are a bit more difficult to work with giving the restrictions and game elements we have available.

When you look at the core elemements of minecraft and many mods, we see again and again: gather resources, progess in mods to gain power, gain advantage over mobs and enviorment. These elements work extremely well for a post apocalypse theme.

That said, the theme can be very flexible depending on the imagination and storytelling skills of the writer. And, we've been told by the FTB staff that we CAN be flexible. Thinking on the storyline I'm working on as i write this, I'd have to say the Apocalypse that happens in to my main character isn't to the world. It's to his own personal life.

An apocalypse doesn't have to be some world ending theme in the most over used fashion. Think of some other stories that might apply:
-Noah's Ark,
-the settling of California by those who survived the western trip and disasters such as the Donner party.
-Swiss Family Robinson and Robinson Crusoe
-Soylent Green

psp

Jul 29, 2019
-Minecraft is about building, and a bit of exploration. Starting from nothing and building up resources, infrastructure, and food.
-RPG's at their core are a building game. Start at level 1, work your way up, gaining power, and better items. No matter what anyone says, you are all still playing games influenced by Dungeons and Dragons. This influence is everywhere in modern gaming.
-A vast percentage of tech and magic mods available to use have progression and building at their core.
-Other themes are more difficult to work with: Romance? Westerns? Space Operera? Crime? I'm not saying you don't have other themes to work with, or you can't work with them, or that you can't list several. Just that they are a bit more difficult to work with giving the restrictions and game elements we have available.

When you look at the core elemements of minecraft and many mods, we see again and again: gather resources, progess in mods to gain power, gain advantage over mobs and enviorment. These elements work extremely well for a post apocalypse theme.

That said, the theme can be very flexible depending on the imagination and storytelling skills of the writer. And, we've been told by the FTB staff that we CAN be flexible. Thinking on the storyline I'm working on as i write this, I'd have to say the Apocalypse that happens in to my main character isn't to the world. It's to his own personal life.

An apocalypse doesn't have to be some world ending theme in the most over used fashion. Think of some other stories that might apply:
-Noah's Ark,
-the settling of California by those who survived the western trip and disasters such as the Donner party.
-Soylent Green
Well said.
Although, it would be interesting to see more mods/modpacks based more on exploring. Such as you must explore and conquer dungeons, mazes, something (kinda like a twilight forest) to get materials for TiC tools, ect.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

-Noah's Ark,
-Soylent Green

You forgot the trials and tribulations of surviving being a "Disney Child Actor" in the late 20th century :D

Reactions: Flipz

Xolan

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking about starting a JamPacked 2 Preview series on my channel. (if I can get a hold of some packs in development that is..) If anyone wants a smallish channel to show off their progress, get a hold of me. I think this would be a cool way to showcase the work the pack makers do, show some of the development cycle, and also show some love to FTB for holding such an event. If this is spammy, let me know and I'll delete it. I'm not really trying to promote my channel as much as get pack authors to showcase their ideas, also to test the waters to see if this is something the pack authors would actually want.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm thinking about starting a JamPacked 2 Preview series on my channel. (if I can get a hold of some packs in development that is..) If anyone wants a smallish channel to show off their progress, get a hold of me. I think this would be a cool way to showcase the work the pack makers do, show some of the development cycle, and also show some love to FTB for holding such an event. If this is spammy, let me know and I'll delete it. I'm not really trying to promote my channel as much as get pack authors to showcase their ideas, also to test the waters to see if this is something the pack authors would actually want.

Why would anyone want their pack previewed and viewable by the competition?

Besides, wasn't releasing to the public before judging a disqualification last time? (I don't know but seem to recall that)

Xolan

Jul 29, 2019
Why would anyone want their pack previewed and viewable by the competition?

Why would they not? I didn't think there was such cutthroat competition that participants would steal ideas from their competitors. I guess it depends what the prizes are, but with so many possibilities for pack ideas, I don't really see it being an issue.