Is the pattern for Obsidian from EE3 intended

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
That wasn't at all what I was saying. I was specifically talking about "convenience". I have never made a diamond out of a stack of coal, but I think it costs time and energy, and you need machines.

Trivial restrictions that can be met mere minutes after first logging in (if speed is your goal), while EE3 uses a manually mob farmed consumable.

EE3 is less convienent than IC2 diamond manufactory

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
Trivial restrictions that can be met mere minutes after first logging in (if speed is your goal), while EE3 uses a manually mob farmed consumable.

EE3 is less convienent than IC2 diamond manufactory

Yeah, collect eight mob drops and be good for stacks and stacks of items, that's really inconvenient and time consuming.

Regarding the IC2 way, I'll let others be the judge of that... but I've not seen many people creating diamonds that way (which ofc doesn't necessarily mean anything).

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
Eight rare drops, it can take hours.

Okay, see, I like that. ;)
Although I'd be interested in what the drop rate really is and how long it takes to get eight on average if you go hunting in a cave or at night.

What about the standard 1500 charges on it? Too much? Too little?

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
I had about 2 stacks of shards after a couple hours in Twilight Forest clearing out a lich tower and a hollow hill :D

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, see, I like that. ;)
Although I'd be interested in what the drop rate really is and how long it takes to get eight on average if you go hunting in a cave or at night.

What about the standard 1500 charges on it? Too much? Too little?
On average I can get 8 shards with about 2 minecraft nights worth of dedicated hunting. You can not automate shard gathering in anyway as they require player kills like I mentioned earlier.

The 1520 charges is good for ~23 stacks of materials, using it on things you have to cycle through like dyes or dirt can use several charges. Such as going from dirt to sand in the crafting menu means going through cobble, grass, and then sand. You will have already used a lot of charge just for that. In world transmutes you can select what you want by pressing 'G' but that is no good for large scale transmutations. A lot of the balance is around the minium stone not being permanent, obviously if you could setup a tree farm to get any material you needed by transmutes into iron/gold and using thaumcraft to transmute into the other metals it would be very bad, but the minium stone is limited. With misc peripherals there is actually the ability to create a alchemist turtle for automating the use of the stone, but it still uses charge.

Of the transmutes that EE3's minium stone can currently do the only one that is really unbalanced is that 4 iron to 1 ender pearl transmute. This one has become an issue now because it allows very easy access to the new TE tesseracts along with anything else you could need an ender pearl for.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Obsidian is worthless. People have this idea that since it takes a diamond pickaxe to harvest in vanilla, it must be awesome.

It's not. Find me a natural lava pool and at least two buckets of water and I'll get you a portal to the Nether before you get a house built.
Two buckets? You're using the second one to sit on? One is enough for the portal ;)
You don't even need a flint and steel, though that's probably faster than waiting for lava to light it.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You can make a whopping 9 diamonds before your stone breaks and you have to go hunt shards again. Doesn't sound really game breaking. You could, of course, just disable it if you don't like it. Just a thought.

I'm surry but what? I was talking about turning iron into diamonds. A single stone can do about 1500 transmutations. That's enough for close to 100 diamonds. From simple abundant iron.

And it's not like the shards are a rare drop or anything. I got loads of them just from the mobs that bother me around my base.

If you like EE3, fine. But it should not be enable in a serverpack by default in my opinion because it simply removes the need to put an effort into finding your first gold and diamonds.[DOUBLEPOST=1359662057][/DOUBLEPOST]
Indeed, EE3 is still currently using the EE2 value system. No doubt that will change, but it's got to start somewhere with it's values.

IF it's goign to change, fine. But we should not have some half assed beta in the packs. It really REALLY sucks that we still not have a proper FTB server pack.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Two buckets? You're using the second one to sit on? One is enough for the portal ;)
You don't even need a flint and steel, though that's probably faster than waiting for lava to light it.

Agreed but 2 buckets makes it go twice as fast.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
But it should not be enable in a serverpack by default in my opinion because it simply removes the need to put an effort into finding your first gold and diamonds.

So .. you are going to burn a whole stack of processed iron for your first 2 lousy diamonds? I'm not seeing that as terribly unbalanced, since it would take less time to dig straight down and find twice as many.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
So .. you are going to burn a whole stack of processed iron for your first 2 lousy diamonds? I'm not seeing that as terribly unbalanced, since it would take less time to dig straight down and find twice as many.

Plus the fact that you need gold to make the stone anyway.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'm surry but what? I was talking about turning iron into diamonds. A single stone can do about 1500 transmutations. That's enough for close to 100 diamonds. From simple abundant iron.

And it's not like the shards are a rare drop or anything. I got loads of them just from the mobs that bother me around my base.

If you like EE3, fine. But it should not be enable in a serverpack by default in my opinion because it simply removes the need to put an effort into finding your first gold and diamonds.[DOUBLEPOST=1359662057][/DOUBLEPOST]

IF it's goign to change, fine. But we should not have some half assed beta in the packs. It really REALLY sucks that we still not have a proper FTB server pack.
I was unclear. I meant 9 diamonds if you're going all the way from wood to diamond. Also, a diamond takes 1/2 stack of iron, if I recall. While iron is abundant, that doesn't seem exactly 'cheap'. On my SSP world, I don't think I've ever made a diamond with EE3, because it's cheaper to use coal and IC2 Regardless, the point remains: SSP or SMP, it's easy to disable. Most decent servers disabled or severely nerfed EE2 back in the day, I'm sure if your opinion is commonplace, the same will be true of EE3.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO that is a much bigger issue. It shows that the author of EE has no understanding how different rarities of items are used and how his 'convenient' methods throw the balance of modpacks of whack. Not even to mention the 'infinite blazerods' issue.
Technically, the extra blazerods come from the MJ or EU to put in to run your pulverizer or macerator.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO that is a much bigger issue. It shows that the author of EE has no understanding how different rarities of items are used and how his 'convenient' methods throw the balance of modpacks of whack. Not even to mention the 'infinite blazerods' issue.

Or...and this might make you poop a little...maybe the author of EE realizes that modded Minecraft is not the same as vanilla Minecraft, and those things that were rare and hard to come by in vanilla MC are neither rare nor hard to come by in modded MC.

Alternately (or perhaps even in conjunction), maybe he realizes that the means of generating vast quantities of obsidian is already available in a variety of forms in modded MC (obsidian generators which, like cobble generators, can be extremely taxing on servers if abused). TE provides a machine that makes obsidian out of water and lava that you supply to the machine, no tool required to break the block in order to pick it up, and it also provides a machine to convert common materials into lava. I can essentially produce a limitless supply of lava and a limitless supply of water and all it takes for a unit of each is the byproduct of 1 piece of netherrack. Why does the EE author get singled out as the one who doesn't know what he's doing?

Modded MC is less about acquiring the resources and more what you do with them when you've got them. I wish more people understood that so they could stop squealing 'OP' every time they find out they don't have to sell their soul on bedrock for a sack full of gravel.

Toraxa

Jul 29, 2019

Gold and diamonds are not valuable. This is one of the biggest issues big, popular packs like these face. People are stuck in vanilla mindsets and think like they're still playing it.

I've put a good eighty hours into building my base in our current server using the DW20 pack. In that time I have used a grand total of 40ish diamonds, and three or four stacks of gold. I've used over two hundred stacks of iron, as well as probably half that in tin, and at least as much in copper. I've blown through half a dozen stacks of lead, at least a dozen of silver, and more smooth stone than I can count making the 200,000 or so xychorium bricks I will need to complete my new floating fortress base. Not to mention probably 50 stacks of redstone for all the various machines.

Diamonds are used in some higher end stuff. Particularly quarries, soul shards, tesseracts, IC2 power storage, and quantum armor to keep them from being available too early and trivializing the rest of the content that comes before them. They're not used very frequently at all though in these mods, because you're not really using diamond tools that break, and the items they make aren't often consumable. I value iron, tin, copper and redstone much more highly than diamonds or gold. Gold is more useful than diamonds due to thermal expansion, but it's still not nearly as heavily used as the three main ores.

It's fine if EE3 allows you to access some stuff via trades, because it's designed, as it's name implies, to make sure the trades are equal. By the time the philosopher's stone is added, it will be balanced. Those new to EE can rest assured that they do a lot of tweaking of EMC to ensure the trades themselves are balanced. The stuff that wasn't before, like collectors, relays, and condensers, are gone now.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Gold and diamonds are not valuable. This is one of the biggest issues big, popular packs like these face. People are stuck in vanilla mindsets and think like they're still playing it.
QFT!
If more people realised that, there might be less arguments about balance. Sure, diamonds aren't dirt or cobble, but expensive mod items are more based on complexity of assembly, assembly time, different machines and energy to run them, and so on. Being able to pump out a stack of diamonds will help a little towards making a galgadorian dril, but only a little. (disclaimer: I haven't actually tried yet so that's mostly speculation).

Anyhow, I used the wood->obsidian->iron crafting chain yesterday (using a logger and fir trees to get lots of wood, then sawmilling chests to get vanilla planks to turn to vanilla wood) and while it may have been a bit more convenient than mining for the iron needed to make tanks, I don't know if I saved much time (especially given the significant depletion of my minium stones)

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Very easy to limit yourself if you like. Minecraft is not a competitive game. We don't need to nerf everything to oblivion just so you can obtain some sense of 'balance' in your mind. If you don't like the fact that you can transmute to diamonds then don't do it. On the other hand if you nerf the game, the people who wanted full functionality and to have a good time instead of be the one to spend the most hours gathering resources are out of luck.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019

The proper FTB-Server-Pack will have EE3 in it. Well at least some off them. Not sure what you would call Magic, Technic and Lite, which are dedicated server-packs. Also you change Iron into Diamonds... but since the usage-ratio for iron to diamond is higher than 32:1 you actually do something bad with it. The only thing that the minium-stone is really useful for is creating Enderpearls before you have access to the end. Transmuting most things upwarts iron into diamond isn't that useful, since the most common used materials are copper, tin and iron anyway. So not sure why people want to turn 32 iron into a diamond, since 32 iron is more valuable than a diamond.

Considering that Pahimar already explained a lot of the ideas behind his conversations EE3 is very balanced and is fully configurable. The 1500 uses was just a setting he introduced, which might change later and is fully configurable for servers/players. Also the Philosopher-Stone is not even implemented, so although it is endless at this point it is also not avaible, so I guess it is only avaible yet to make for a easy tool to change maps and it might also be only in EE3 because the FTB-Map needs a Endless Minium-Stone to function, so you can hand one out to the player at the start, which does not mean that it will be a craftable item at this state.