Is the pattern for Obsidian from EE3 intended

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
You can then use the obsidian to make iron and the iron to make gold and the gold to make diamonds. It takes 4 stacks of logs to make a single diamond. And a ton of your minium stones charge (around 165 of 1520 uses).

Ghostgummy

Jul 29, 2019
Wow that is kinda overpowered i mean you have a Steve's Carts tree farm its like unlimited Obsidian

Aliek

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you have a nether lava pump and one of those nifty TE machines that create cobble/stone/obsidian, it's also like unlimited obsidian, so yeah, not exactly overpowered I'd say.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Obsidian isn't exactly valuable for it to be OP anyway. Aside from that you need a constant supply of minium shards, which can't be automated. Turtles and golem kills do not trigger mobs to drop the shards (and neither does environmental damage), so you have to either go hunt yourself or stand in front of a mob spawner swinging your sword. It isn't exactly OP when you factor in the fact that your minium stone is not infinite.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
As I learned, making and using obsidian before you have a way to break it can be bad. It ranges from embarrassing to show stopping.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
As I learned, making and using obsidian before you have a way to break it can be bad. It ranges from embarrassing to show stopping.
RP2 Block Breakers. Sure, not the most convenient method, but it's been around since the dawn of time.

Reactions: Dravarden

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
When I get around to it, my plan is:
giant fir trees -> forestry logger -> stacks and stacks of wood -> sawmill -> autocraft to chests -> sawmill again (to make into vanilla planks) -> autocrafting chain with minium stones to make it back into logs, then obsidian, eventually up to diamonds.
The main thing I'm missing is a lot of minium shards. Currently I just have magma -> obsidian -> iron. I have turned a bit of obsidian into wood but that was accidental when fiddling with the recipe while the autocrafter was running. (I also ended up with half a stack of obsidian slabs by mistake, and I don't have any use for them :()

bwillb: Since you can melt cobble into lava, and MJ is infinite, lava is also infinite.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
You'll eventually be able to create a philosopher's stone, which will have infinite charges unlike the minium stone, so I suppose at that point it can be considered... "OP". Or people could just be reasonable, but that's not possible of course.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Easily fixed: the philosopher's stone is made of an item dropped by unreasonable people. Thus you have to kill unreasonable people in order to get the philosopher's stone, thus killing two birds for one stone.

Disclaimer: human life is sacred, even unreasonable humans.

Honza8D

Jul 29, 2019
Easily fixed: the philosopher's stone is made of an item dropped by unreasonable people. Thus you have to kill unreasonable people in order to get the philosopher's stone, thus killing two birds for one stone.

Disclaimer: human life is sacred, even unreasonable humans.
Easy solution, place lava under unreasonable peoples feet, since that counts as enviromental damage its not a murder :D

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You can then use the obsidian to make iron and the iron to make gold and the gold to make diamonds. It takes 4 stacks of logs to make a single diamond. And a ton of your minium stones charge (around 165 of 1520 uses).

IMHO that is a much bigger issue. It shows that the author of EE has no understanding how different rarities of items are used and how his 'convenient' methods throw the balance of modpacks of whack. Not even to mention the 'infinite blazerods' issue.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO that is a much bigger issue. It shows that the author of EE has no understanding how different rarities of items are used and how his 'convenient' methods throw the balance of modpacks of whack. Not even to mention the 'infinite blazerods' issue.
You can make a whopping 9 diamonds before your stone breaks and you have to go hunt shards again. Doesn't sound really game breaking. You could, of course, just disable it if you don't like it. Just a thought.

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019

I don't like i either. EE3 was specifically supposed to be more "balanced"... imo (!) it's still much too convenient, especially in the context of the other mods in the pack.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Indeed, EE3 is still currently using the EE2 value system. No doubt that will change, but it's got to start somewhere with it's values. I know I can use it to make other items from other items, but I've used it just the once for waterproofing. Having a shortage of a type of material means thinking of ways to get around it, either adjusting my build, or heading out for some old fashioned resource gathering.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like i either. EE3 was specifically supposed to be more "balanced"... imo (!) it's still much too convenient, especially in the context of the other mods in the pack.

"Other mods in the pack", like the one that let's you take any random stack of coal or output of a blaze soul shard and presto-chango, a diamond.

EE3 seems balanced in this regard. 4 stacks of tree wood is about as rare as a stack of coal.

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
"Other mods in the pack", like the one that let's you take any random stack of coal or output of a blaze soul shard and presto-chango, a diamond.

EE3 seems balanced in this regard. 4 stacks of tree wood is about as rare as a stack of coal.

That wasn't at all what I was saying. I was specifically talking about "convenience". I have never made a diamond out of a stack of coal, but I think it costs time and energy, and you need machines. Now, I'm not really familiar with EE in detail, but from what I've seen for example in DW's Let's Plays, transmuting with EE3 ist just too easy, convenience-wise. Just put something in your crafting table with your magical stone (which additionally has a ridiculous number of charges; and I heard the upgraded version doesn't have charges at all) and you are done. For me, even transmuting dirt to sand like that seems cheap.

And, as I said, this is all IMO - this is very much a personal choice. I'll also gladly listen if soneone can tell me that not everything in this mod is as easy and cheap as I imagine it to be.
I'm not against being able to transmute stuff in general, after all we have those awesome machines - but it sould not be possible with a single click and no additional cost.