Is Modded Minecraft going to stay in 1.7 forever?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
I hate to ask what I feel like is such a silly question but I'm very curious what people who have been following the scene think.

When I first found FTB it was back in 1.4 When I came back a year or so later things had moved on to 1.5 or 6, and I figured this would be the way things continued. I like to play with a mod, get bored, and come back in a year or two, see if there are no mods for the new patch. But lately that hasn't been the case, things have been stuck on 1.7 for a LONG time. Sure, some people make mods for 1.8, 9, and 1.10, but the vast majority of mod content seems to continue to be on 1.7

I think sticking to 1.7 makes a LOT of sense. It's not really worth breaking hundreds of mods just for a couple of new mobs and a so-so feature like dual wielding, but still, it seems odd that the version counter keeps trending up while everyone stays on 1.7. So, do you think Minecraft is going to stay in version 1.7 from now on, as it keeps being updated?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
As I understand it, the base code that MC runs on was substantially rewritten between 1.6 & 1.9 in ways that should make it run better and might make it easier to write new mods and build modpacks. 1.7 & 1.8 were transitional stages between the old code and the new code. This has made porting older, larger mods a lot more work than usual, but should be worth it in the long run. With forge dev in full swing for 1.10, mod dev and pack dev for 1.7.10 has all but stopped. We just need to sit back and give the big mod devs with several mods going the time they need to do what we all hope they still love doing. Once the right mods have made the jump, we will start seeing modpacks for 1.10.2.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I agree to a certain extent. One of the things I love about 1.7.10 is the dev cycle was so long that we have a TONNE of stable mods to play with. I'm glad that dev has skipped over 1.8 and I sort of wish that forge would just elect to skip every other version of minecraft. That way it lengthens the dev time and gives us more stable usable mods.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I agree to a certain extent. One of the things I love about 1.7.10 is the dev cycle was so long that we have a TONNE of stable mods to play with. I'm glad that dev has skipped over 1.8 and I sort of wish that forge would just elect to skip every other version of minecraft. That way it lengthens the dev time and gives us more stable usable mods.

They haven't really "skipped" 1.8... All of the people I've seen streaming development have generally worked through 1.8 before moving to 1.9 and 1.10, to familiarize themselves with the new/changed Vanilla subsystems... the Forge 1.8 version was more stable than 1.9 at that time.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Mostly what was skipped was pack development. Mods jumped on as soon as there was forge available, but after they reached 1.8, it was simple to jump to 1.9, and then to 1.10. Now it seems things have stabilized with 1.10.2. Slowpoke was talking about it on one of Direwolf's videos recently, that they're going to let the game stabilize there for a while. It helps that the rapid update pace of MC itself has slowed down.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I hate to ask what I feel like is such a silly question but I'm very curious what people who have been following the scene think.

When I first found FTB it was back in 1.4 When I came back a year or so later things had moved on to 1.5 or 6, and I figured this would be the way things continued. I like to play with a mod, get bored, and come back in a year or two, see if there are no mods for the new patch. But lately that hasn't been the case, things have been stuck on 1.7 for a LONG time. Sure, some people make mods for 1.8, 9, and 1.10, but the vast majority of mod content seems to continue to be on 1.7

I think sticking to 1.7 makes a LOT of sense. It's not really worth breaking hundreds of mods just for a couple of new mobs and a so-so feature like dual wielding, but still, it seems odd that the version counter keeps trending up while everyone stays on 1.7. So, do you think Minecraft is going to stay in version 1.7 from now on, as it keeps being updated?

There are more advantages to moving to a new version then just what players experience in the game itself. The code base of Minecraft 1.10 itself has MUCH improved. It is a lot nicer for modders to do things now and mods like Chisel & Bits are not realistically possible. This kind of mod would be extremely hard in 1.7.10 for example.

So please don't only look at what players can see. There is also the modder perspective IMHO

Reactions: Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Having been on the modding side, though not for MC, I understand the modder's dilemma of wanting to get things out, but not wanting to do so while the mod is still so buggy that people will abandon it.

As a player on the other hand, I look and the mod lists for 1.10 feel more than a little barren. Even a few mods that seem to have gone silent about updates. If you're not updating, fine, say that and I'll look for alternatives. If you need more time to do an update, fine, say that and I'll wait. Just don't leave your users completely out of the loop, or you look like a dead mod.

Reactions: GreenZombie

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I'm finding 1.10 to have more than enough content. The mod pack "All the Mods" while it has a lot of questionable mod choices it has enough content for me.

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
I always(well almost) customize the modpack I'm playing anyway so "All the Mods" seems to be a good starting point.
At least for me.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Sure, some people make mods for 1.8, 9, and 1.10, but the vast majority of mod content seems to continue to be on 1.7

Looking it at it purely from the perspective of how many mods are available for each version doesn't really tell the whole picture. Instead, look at how much new content is being released for each version. Do that and you will see that the majority of mod authors have left 1.7.10 behind and are now working on newer versions, mostly 1.10.x. Sticking to 1.7 makes no sense at all, the mods, while stable, are stagnating. Moving to a new version gives those authors a chance to overhaul their own codebase and do things better and more efficiently. This opens up the possibility, along with Minecraft changes, for new features that wouldn't have been possible before.

This question comes up every major version change, I honestly have no idea why. My personal opinion is that while the extended lifecycle of 1.7.10 gave us more mods than ever and in a more stable state. In terms of gameplay, things could have done with an overhaul 12 months ago. This next update is long overdue and when we can finally start pushing out new 1.10.x packs it will breathe new life into the game, something that is sorely needed at this point imo.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Looking it at it purely from the perspective of how many mods are available for each version doesn't really tell the whole picture. Instead, look at how much new content is being released for each version. Do that and you will see that the majority of mod authors have left 1.7.10 behind and are now working on newer versions, mostly 1.10.x. Sticking to 1.7 makes no sense at all, the mods, while stable, are stagnating. Moving to a new version gives those authors a chance to overhaul their own codebase and do things better and more efficiently. This opens up the possibility, along with Minecraft changes, for new features that wouldn't have been possible before.

This question comes up every major version change, I honestly have no idea why. My personal opinion is that while the extended lifecycle of 1.7.10 gave us more mods than ever and in a more stable state. In terms of gameplay, things could have done with an overhaul 12 months ago. This next update is long overdue and when we can finally start pushing out new 1.10.x packs it will breathe new life into the game, something that is sorely needed at this point imo.

Agree and disagree to some extent. The extended life-cycle of 1.7 allowed for enough content to be created and enhanced to keep me still trying new things there (note: my play time is extremely limited, so many have indeed plowed through all this before). That said, I'm very much looking forward to seeing 1.10 packs, as a few new things there look like a lot of fun. You're right in saying it's time for a breath of fresh air on the scene, and nothing like a major version update to push that forward. Hopefully the improvement behind the scenes can push the available limits to new heights.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
1.10.2 seems to be the next modding plateau. The only thing I miss about 1.8 is Thaumcraft. Everything else has already gone forward. Just waiting for a few things before releasing my mod pack for 1.10.2. For magic, there's Roots and Blood Magic. For tech, there's EnderIO. There's TiCo for tools. RF tools for more tech-related utility.

Waiting on Agricraft, since Pam's Harvestcraft is now out for 1.10.2. Also Hunger Overhall, if it will come out. Also hoping Thaumcraft5 will update to 1.10.2 since it is already on 1.8. And maybe the CoFH suite for various reasons. Actually, I'd be seriously tempted to NOT include EnderIO this time 'round if I could get the CoFH Suite. There's a couple of replacements for AE now, like Storage Network.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

I would say "Short answer: no."

I've been keeping up with DW20's most recent Forgecraft series, and it can clearly be seen that many mods are being worked on - often in entirely new iterations. We are absolutely on the cusp of a major shift, it's teetering on the brink and is about to hit once the stability is sorted out.

1.10.2 seems to be the next modding plateau. The only thing I miss about 1.8 is Thaumcraft.
A perfect example of what I mean - I think we are really quite close to getting Thaumcraft 5; it may be that Azanor has found that for his work, the shift between 1.8 and 1.9/1.10 was not trivial, which is why it's taking time - but I can guarantee it will be worth the wait! :)

There was a recent discussion on the series that really shines a good light on the whole thing, and it was basically a "where should we stop and lay our hat" in terms of versions - the consensus seemed to be that 1.10.2 was a good point for mod authors to pin their development around, as further changes to Minecraft itself were only going to be minor content ones. So we're basically there! :)

I think the upcoming versions of mods, such as ExtraUtilities2, Thaumcraft 5, and so on, are truly new mods; best not to pine for the old ones I think - let new ideas flow! And then there are entirely new ones such as Intangible, Psi, Roots, Chisel&Bits and so on, which bring in a whole new suite of fascinating mod mechanics.

Apart from the fact that I don't think my ancient laptop will run any of it, I'm extremely excited about the whole thing! I'm certainly looking forward to watching things come out.

Give it a couple of months, and I really do believe that we'll have reached a maturity in the new stuff that packs will start to blossom and appear.

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
I really think were not far removed from getting the main packs for 1.10.2 soon. Several big mods are now there (some still missing) but from a lot of chatter i've heard thru direwolf20's videos, the forums and the curse site, its close. I've been playing unstable 1.10 and the mod loadout actually is pretty decent already. Watching Dire's video's' of his forgecraft shows that a lot has been fleshed out and mostly ready to go. But 1.10 main packs are soon (id say by the end of the year).

I for one will be a bit spoiled though since I played Infinity:Evolved Expert and really enjoyed the progression that was involved and going back to the norm of being able to build everything from the start will be a bit overwhelming

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
It's apparently the nature of modded minecraft - for whatever reason - to have "major milestone" points in its history.

v1.4.7 was one such major milestone, with FTB Ultimate being the signature modpack.
v1.7.10 is just another such milestone point, with a similar signature modpack, FTB Infinity.

I have no idea what vanilla version will be the next major milestone point, or even if the next signature pack will be "FTB xxx" since the shift to Curse means the FTB naming convention will be symbolic or traditional at best. Just a meaningless label now.

Even tho I suspect the bulk of the FTB team is shifting over to Curse (what I like to speculate as their way of getting "real jobs" LOL), FTB seems to pretty much be fading into the Halls Of Memory. And a good memory it shall always be!

I suspect v1.10.x is headed towards being the next milestone point, since it will likely be the starting point for this Curse(d) journey we're all about to be on in the future. :)

Sidebar: They could have called it "Bless", but instead they chose "Curse". I would have much preferred the former (a positive) than the latter (a negative connotation). But I digress, as usual.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Eh, I don't think FTB is going anywhere. Not when they've worked so hard to build the brand. Developement seems easier on Curse, but I doubt they'll abandon FTB entirely.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
As long as people are willing to play ftb packs the brand won't go anywhere. As much as curse is maligned (even by myself) I would rather deal with it and continue to enjoy the product. Curse is a means to the end. Nothing says we have to like it. We just need to tolerate it.