Is "Blood Magic" Overpowered?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, folks! As you may or may not know, I am the mod developer of the mod Blood Magic, and am a regular contributor to this forum. I tend to look at many threads to guage how my mod is being received from the community, and there has been a few threads/discussions about the mod and a few mechanics in it that I would like to discuss openly. Whether the mod is overpowered for the cost involved, how it fares against other mods of the same tech level, and the general difficulty that is required to attain the items. It’s my hope that this thread will help to talk about things that the user may not like.

If you do not know already, Blood Magic is based on sacrificing your life force and other mob’s energy to perform powerful effects. Things such as rituals to create lava sources to summoning meteors from space, and items that allow flight and potions to strengthen yourself. All of this comes at a large cost, since you start by sacrificing your health bar and progress by making a bigger and bigger altar. Because of the time it takes, and the unique balancing point of the mod (health, i.e. damage you incrue), I take liberty to add a few powerful items to help you along.

My balancing system? Make sure it is fun for the user, while stopping the stuff from being “the very best.” It is my hope that all “systems” in the mod can be competed against by other means – such as the Air Sigil. Sure, it allows a quick form of flight, however it also is hard to control and is dangerous as all hell.

This brings me to a thread/discussion I saw. A user pointed out that in his opinion, the Blood Magic potions and almost everything in the mod is waaaaaay too powerful compared to everything else. He reckons that a Str IV potion (that can only really be attained at T5, which needs an altar the size of a football field) is enough to 4-6 hit any form of boss monster. While this may be true, I figure that by the time you have managed to construct the 4 beacons needed for the altar, you would have figured out other ways to decimate your foes (I think Rotary Craft adds a sword that does over 200 points of damage).

I don’t want to limit this thread to one things, so I’ll ask this: Is Blood Magic OP? If so, how would you rather see it constructed? If not, what is the reason? I don’t want this to become a thread that rips apart other “OP mods,” so please keep the chat civil, and I will make sure to answer any questions or queries if people ask me.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
The only part that I feel is "overpowered" is the ability to use a handful of witches with the Well of Suffering to have infinite LP generation. I feel like it gives players a cheap way out of making some sort of mob trap to fuel the altar instead.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
OP? I haven't really played it yet, but to me it looks like anything Ultra-God-Powerful is far too end game to actually get.

I'm just sad that from the spotlights I've seen so far that there's no screaming when you stab yourself. That would make the mod 10x better.
I'm thinking that if I added screams into the mod, some people might not be too happy! :3

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
A qoute from Spiteful fox after seeing this topic...

I think Blood Magic is Just Right. :)
Only feature I feel is slightly unbalanced is the Well of Suffering.
People who use it were telling me to increase the costs on the Blood Staff because Well of Suffering, when set up in a power gamey way, is practically unlimited LP.
People who don't use the Well of Suffering felt the costs on the blood staff were kinda high and asked me not to raise it.
Left the price as-is. Balancing against the Well of Suffering is like balancing IC2 against a max-power quarry.
Or balancing bees against Jadedcat.
It doesn't deter the powergamers and just punishes normal people.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I agree with @Padfoote
The only part that I think feels a bit "OP" is the ability to use witches to provide an infinite source. But, on that point some things that I would like to do with this would also be incredibly hard to do with self-sacrifice only.

I don't think using mobs to power the altar are over powered, just witches which the set-up is getting a jailer's safari net underneath or a witch spawner and volia. done.

Reactions: Padfoote

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a cursed earth farm can also provide "Infinite power," and I think it's slightly faster. I'm not a fan of the witches myself, that and also Zerg rushing (excuse me while I shiver - I am planning ways to curb that), but I suppose I could find a way to stop the witches as well.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking that if I added screams into the mod, some people might not be too happy! :3
Doesn't vanilla change the sound system to be more configurable in 1.7? Which bracket would it go under if it did?

oh and at the post above, what do you mean by zerg rushing? I'm kinda new to blood magic and my only claim to progress is the altar of kfc.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Oh, and if you haven't, you should consider adding achievements, so little mods do that. I feel like any mod that adds achievements is better then any mod that doesn't.

Reactions: Staxed

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
But but but... :(
Don't be lazy, it's not that hard, if I can do them you can do them :p[DOUBLEPOST=1398040681][/DOUBLEPOST]
Achievements get reset so easily it's not even worth it as a player to try to get them.
I've never tried to get Achievements, it just seems cool when I get one, it makes me feel like I'm doing something right (Until something blows up but yeah)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've never tried to get Achievements, it just seems cool when I get one, it makes me feel like I'm doing something right (Until something blows up but yeah)

I don't know, I'm in the boat where I'd rather have a mod dev adding something new or fixing bugs over adding achievements that don't do anything and don't survive any updates.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a cursed earth farm can also provide "Infinite power," and I think it's slightly faster. I'm not a fan of the witches myself, that and also Zerg rushing (excuse me while I shiver - I am planning ways to curb that), but I suppose I could find a way to stop the witches as well.
mmm, but the thing is for me, a cursed earth farm takes a little more infrastructure to do it right (just having one underneath the altar doesn't give you a good return.. I've tried it.)