In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty crazy. I'm strictly doing the mining by hand (Almost. I have a turtle making the 1x2 tunnel for me to mine off of lol) simply because I think having a quarry basically hand you the mats free of charge takes a lot of the challenge out of the game.
I find myself getting bored of worlds a lot faster when there is no challenge.
After I get my railroad setup and my boilers are all setup and running I'll only be getting mats through bees that can be gotten through them.
Yeah, I'm mostly an aesthetic builder, so i shoot for the lazy (but aesthetic!) solutions. So yeah, no quarries for me either. I also like to mine from time to time. But the neatest things require a good deal of basic mats soooo...

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Industrialcraft is far from useless, however certain features have slowly become less useful overtime, like with many mods, however they don't seem to really be adding anything new. However IC2 is still one of the major core mods that IMO holds this pack together. When you think of tech mods its probably one of the first ones you can think of, as it adds an entire electricity system to the game. I mean batteries, solar panels, reactors, jetpacks, QSuits. Even if you can use substitutes, they still don't have that same feeling really. Not to mention other useful things like Industrial TNT and crops. And of course the plugins add even more like charge pads. I personally continue to use them and many others as well, including direwolf20 himself.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Mm, what would be the low-tier replacement for the electrical jetpack? The jetpack is now one of the first things I aim to make (macerator--- Damn it, I need to remember to go TE first!, then jetpack).

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
BTW why would someone want to get rid of a mod entirely? Did the dev piss some people off?
I've noticed an attitude around the FTB community that does not favor IC2. It seems irrational to me. I blame gregtech.[DOUBLEPOST=1361690753][/DOUBLEPOST]It's like people want to find excuses not to use it.

Reactions: tyler f and Jyzarc

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed an attitude around the FTB community that does not favor IC2. It seems irrational to me. I blame gregtech.

That is amusing, as I really like GregTech. I just wish that the other mods were set to use hard difficulty in the MindCrack pack, as it would have been a lot more interesting. And GregTech has a config option for most difficulty-related changes.

But without nukes and a low-tier jetpack, well, IC2 is here to stay (for me at least).

Reactions: Quesenek

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed an attitude around the FTB community that does not favor IC2. It seems irrational to me. I blame gregtech.
Most of the functionality it provides is easily obtained through Thermal Expansion and other mods that use MJ, as well as being used for other things it can't do. This means we have to add infrastructure for EU generation that is going to have a more limited selection of machines than MJ using machines. Aside from quantum armor and jetpacks some people don't really use IC2 machines that much. If you look at Direwolf20 he is now using also all Thermal Expansion machines, only using IC2 for recyclers, quantum armor, and diamond drill. And for blaming gregtech, that seems unwarranted. IC2 itself has seen very little in new content recently, gregtech is one of the few things that gives some people more reason to use the mod, myself included. Without having gregtech installed I would probably not being using IC2 as much as I do.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the nanosaber hasn't entered this conversation. Having taken down ol' W 4 times tonight, I'm pretty sure nothing does it as reliably and as quickly as that weapon.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed an attitude around the FTB community that does not favor IC2.

I don't favor IC2 simply because it doesn't really add anything for me. Sure the quantum armor and nanosaber stuff is nice, but all my 'factories' (the stuff I actually play FTB for) are all buildcraft based. The main problem with IC2 is that it's old and not a lot of new stuff was added while at the same time buildcraft now has a very nice power distribution model (thanks to TE), machines that simply work better (again TE) and have a great amount of stuff to automate (thanks to forestry).

Aside from that the mod contact doesn't really do much for me, I really like the attitude of the IC2 devs on their forums. They're incredibly arrogant. Compare that to people who post here like King Lemming and Sengir and to me it's obvious which mods have future and which don't.[DOUBLEPOST=1361699064][/DOUBLEPOST]
And for blaming gregtech, that seems unwarranted. IC2 itself has seen very little in new content recently, gregtech is one of the few things that gives some people more reason to use the mod, myself included. Without having gregtech installed I would probably not being using IC2 as much as I do.

Exactly. I don't like gregtech at all but if it weren't for gregtech IC2 would probably be completely dead.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
That is amusing, as I really like GregTech. I just wish that the other mods were set to use hard difficulty in the MindCrack pack, as it would have been a lot more interesting. And GregTech has a config option for most difficulty-related changes.

But without nukes and a low-tier jetpack, well, IC2 is here to stay (for me at least).
+1 I wish there were something like GT for buildcraft simply to make it have things like high tier items and to make having 20+ boilers a necessity in order to keep things running lol.

I've noticed an attitude around the FTB community that does not favor IC2. It seems irrational to me. I blame gregtech.[DOUBLEPOST=1361690753][/DOUBLEPOST]It's like people want to find excuses not to use it.

Personally I think IC2 makes things too easy. With things like the quantum armor you are almost invincible. With the machines most IC2 things are blazing fast with upgrades but beside that there are much cooler things going on with the buildcraft compatible machines.

IC2 is far from useless in some areas it is lacking, in others it is the only way to go.

The Heresiarch

Jul 29, 2019
It's not "irrational", the simple fact is that IC2 is old by now and people who've been going through the same motions for months and months just want to try something new. The IC2 devs haven't added anything fresh and so it makes sense to turn to other mods like TE that are being expanded with interesting ideas on a regular basis.

Herrozerro

Jul 29, 2019
One of the first mods I added to my server was powerconverters. Makes having an EU grid much more easier.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why IC2 is really thought of as something that is replaceable. It's all a matter of preference of what you would prefer to use. And the entirety of the system is kept in check by it's own accords. When it comes to Mj and buildcraft, it's continually getting add on's. Thermal and Expansion, and Forestry intended to breath life into Buildcraft and give it the tlc it was missing for so long. However we are beginning to see a few additions to ic2 aswell. Chargepad's and Greg both add their spins and additions to the world, however Greg focuses on slowing down the progress of ic2 making it far more challenging and interesting. It add's a few new tools to mess around with aswell. Every has it's advantages and disadvantages. The mod's added merely made ic2 machinery easy to upgrade. Avoiding the need for mining lazers and drills with item's such as the wand of excavation or the pick axe of the core acting somewhat like a dowsing rod.

Most know the in's and out's of ic2 by now, and know what's realistic at the moment, and what's going to help them achieve those ic2, some even save ic2 as a last pet project after exploring the other mod's. As the group I have played with has done. But perhaps I may try using ic2 more in conjunction with the other mods.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
It's not "irrational", the simple fact is that IC2 is old by now and people who've been going through the same motions for months and months just want to try something new. The IC2 devs haven't added anything fresh and so it makes sense to turn to other mods like TE that are being expanded with interesting ideas on a regular basis.

That same logic doesn't seem to carry over to the other mods. Plus it's interesting how people say it's not because of gregtech yet say the only reason they use it now (by use it they mean use gregtech) is because of gregtech. In fact you don't want to use the non gregtech things because of gregtech changing it and shitting all over it and calling it too easymode. It's also blatantly obvious that the devs are slanted against IC2 as they make everything requiring buildcraft energy despite the fact that IC2 is a much better concept than using 50 different engines for every machine. There's a reason why people don't like IC2 and it's not because of the actual way the mod functions.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, buildcraft is not good like that. Why would someone use a whole pipe just to transfer energy? Wires would be much better for "realistic" energy transfer. Also, IC2 has many different ways to get energy, unlike Buildcraft. Thermal, Solar, Wind, Water, and even normal "fuel" stuffs.
Buildcraft: Sterling Engine, Combustion Engine, Bluletricity Engine, Magmatic Engine, Commercial Steam Engine, and Industrial Steam Engine. Can I get a "yawn"?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, buildcraft is not good like that. Why would someone use a whole pipe just to transfer energy? Wires would be much better for "realistic" energy transfer. Also, IC2 has many different ways to get energy, unlike Buildcraft. Thermal, Solar, Wind, Water, and even normal "fuel" stuffs.
Buildcraft: Sterling Engine, Combustion Engine, Bluletricity Engine, Magmatic Engine, Commercial Steam Engine, and Industrial Steam Engine. Can I get a "yawn"?
solar: yawn
water: yawn
wind: yawn

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
If you think about it, Buildcraft in itself hasn't really changed all that much either. Its mainly Thermal Expansion and other mods that makes it feel new and fresh again. In my opinion, gregtech is to IC as TE is to BC. So if your tired of vanilla IC2 why not install gregtech? I personally don't because I still enjoy IC2 as is and gregtech does change vanilla stuff. However its not just there to make the game harder it adds a crapton of content.