In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
We also have Modular Powersuits which on the next DW20 pack update will not only have flight equal to a gravity suit (it's already nearly as good, it just needs the Flight Control) but a MJ-compatible power system and TE-based recipes.

Woah, woah, woah, am I missing something here? I thought the recipes options were vanilla, IC2, UE, or GregTech and the power options were IC2 or UE...

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Oddly enough, GT had the opposite effect for me. The more difficult macerator and solar panel recipes forced me to look for alternatives for early-game ore processing. After starting to use TE for ore processing, I discovered how little I really needed any other IC2 machines, to the point where the only IC2 items I use now are the rechargeable tools like the drill and jetpack. I don't even have a generator. I just swipe EU from my neighbor's base when my tools need to be recharged.
27 Solar panels + Mystcraft, Void, Stationary Sun (The new Eternal Day) World + Bluelectric Engine + Tesseract + 3/4 Energy Cell = Tons of energy.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Props if you can build that stable age now. It used to be easy.
Toss in a Chunk Loader and as long as there are no explosions, decay, or meteor showers, it doesn't really matter since you'll never have to come back.

Also you can build an infinite villager breeding cell pretty easy and set up a trading thing similar to what Zeldo did in DW's vids.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Toss in a Chunk Loader and as long as there are no explosions, decay, or meteor showers, it doesn't really matter since you'll never have to come back.

Also you can build an infinite villager breeding cell pretty easy and set up a trading thing similar to what Zeldo did in DW's vids.

You need to get the infinite sun without those decay effects though. It can be challenging.

Reactions: Symmetryc

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
27 Solar panels + Mystcraft, Void, Stationary Sun (The new Eternal Day) World + Bluelectric Engine + Tesseract + 3/4 Energy Cell = Tons of energy.
Except we don't have Mystcraft on our server (we use the Mindcrack pack).

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
You need to get the infinite sun without those decay effects though. It can be challenging.
Are you sure it causes that much instability? If so then I need to rethink my base plans.
Except we don't have Mystcraft on our server (we use the Mindcrack pack).
You can still set it up with a couple of wind turbines if you wish although at that point I would opt out of it and just use electrical power.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I really really hope they stay away from Thaumcraft... I HATE Thaumcraft because of those darn wisps that are so annoying. I should not be forced to make a part of my base 50 miles away from my house that I apparently will need often. Also vis charging on wands needs to be fixed I believe still, haven't tried in my new ssp world.

I like IC2 over the stuff with the pulverizer and stuff like that (buildcraft? dunno this stuff really yet) but it's the early game stuff that I use. I automatically make a macerator instead of a pulv. Why? Easier to make a batbox and generator rather than an engine to power a pulv. IC2 has recyclers. I hope they don't remove the mod because I feel a lot of people are still using IC2 that just don't happen to post on this forum.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I really really hope they stay away from Thaumcraft... I HATE Thaumcraft because of those darn wisps that are so annoying. I should not be forced to make a part of my base 50 miles away from my house that I apparently will need often. Also vis charging on wands needs to be fixed I believe still, haven't tried in my new ssp world.

I like IC2 over the stuff with the pulverizer and stuff like that (buildcraft? dunno this stuff really yet) but it's the early game stuff that I use. I automatically make a macerator instead of a pulv. Why? Easier to make a batbox and generator rather than an engine to power a pulv. IC2 has recyclers. I hope they don't remove the mod because I feel a lot of people are still using IC2 that just don't happen to post on this forum.
I doubt they'll ever remove it, even if people use it less. Partly because it adds several useful things that still don't have alternatives, and partly because it has so many good addons.

Mostly I just like Thermal Expansion (that's the mod with the pulverizer, if you were wondering) because of its easy automation. You can set up an ore processing chain from pulverizer to furnace to chest without needing anything extra like pipes or tubes. I also like it just because it's not IC2. I've built the exact same beginning IC2 setup many times since I first started playing modded Minecraft over a year ago. It's gotten rather boring always playing every world more or less the same way, so TE is a very welcome breath of fresh air. Plus, with the various bonuses from Pulverizers and Induction Smelters, you end up getting a few extra ingots here and there.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt they'll ever remove it, even if people use it less. Partly because it adds several useful things that still don't have alternatives, and partly because it has so many good addons.

Mostly I just like Thermal Expansion (that's the mod with the pulverizer, if you were wondering) because of its easy automation. You can set up an ore processing chain from pulverizer to furnace to chest without needing anything extra like pipes or tubes. I also like it just because it's not IC2. I've built the exact same beginning IC2 setup many times since I first started playing modded Minecraft over a year ago. It's gotten rather boring always playing every world more or less the same way, so TE is a very welcome breath of fresh air. Plus, with the various bonuses from Pulverizers and Induction Smelters, you end up getting a few extra ingots here and there.
How do you get bonus ingots from pulvs and induction smelters? Gregtech stuff or what? I don't really know a lot about the (thank you, now I know that stuff is from TE, Thermal Expansion right?) TE stuff so sorry if I'm dumb in that regard, my friend introduced me to IC2 stuff when we started our server so that's what I tend to use. I know of most of the TE machines because of DW20's videos though.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
They aren't that good. More hastle than they're worth.
Not much worth mentioning, beyond criticism.
I disagree. It's not something I've ever gotten into, but in the same regard I've never gotten into bees either. I do know of people that have though, and they seem to enjoy it. Don't be so quick to dismiss something just because you aren't yourself interested in it.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
How do you get bonus ingots from pulvs and induction smelters? Gregtech stuff or what? I don't really know a lot about the (thank you, now I know that stuff is from TE, Thermal Expansion right?) TE stuff so sorry if I'm dumb in that regard, my friend introduced me to IC2 stuff when we started our server so that's what I tend to use. I know of most of the TE machines because of DW20's videos though.
Well, for certain ores, the pulverizer has a chance of producing an extra dust. If you pulverize copper, for instance, there's a small chance that it'll also give you one gold dust. Same with tin producing one iron dust. Iron, silver, lead, and I think a few other less-common ores all have bonuses too. As for Induction smelters (NOT the induction furnace, which is from IC2), if you put ore in one slot and sand in the other, it'll give you two ingots just like pulverizing and then smelting in a normal furnace, but it has a small chance to produce something called "rich slag." If you swap out the sand for rich slag in the induction furnace, it'll produce three ingots from whatever ore you put in, instead of just two. The chances of getting bonus dusts or rich slag are pretty low, but every little bit helps.

You can see all of this in-game, by the way. The recipes for Thermal Expansion in NEI show what kinds of bonuses you get, and the chance of getting those bonuses.

But hey, use whatever works for you. IC2 has the advantage of being the easiest to power and having the fastest processing time, but you get two ingots per ore and that's it. Factorization has the highest yield, getting you an average of around 3 ingots per ore, but it's incredibly slow and kind of a pain to set up. Thermal Expansion sits somewhere in the middle, being slower than IC2 but faster than Factorization, and producing a little more than IC2 but not as much as Factorization.

I know there are people on the forums who have figured out all of the complicated math behind IC2, TE, and Factorization ore processing, and could tell you exactly how fast and efficient all the different methods are. I am unfortunately not one of those people.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree. It's not something I've ever gotten into, but in the same regard I've never gotten into bees either. I do know of people that have though, and they seem to enjoy it. Don't be so quick to dismiss something just because you aren't yourself interested in it.
It would be much improved by some semblance of worthwhile utility. As it stands it's a big ugly mess to automate and less time-efficient to do manually than mining/exploring, with a few unique products of dubious usefulness. And this is if you have ONLY IndustrialCraft installed. Well, except the automation part. That remains a big ugly mess even with other mods.
I tried my hand at it, and if you can find some enjoyment in it I congratulate you on having an additional avenue of funhaving. But I find it completely overshadowed by Vanilla, to say nothing of the other mods in this pack.