If you can help me, i will <3 you forever.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I am dire need of help. Me and my sister have been playing modded minecraft together. Problem is, she can only allocate 1 GB of ram, so we can only play 3 different mods at once. (Content mods, not essentials like NEI and WAILA). Our computer has 3GB of ram and I was wondering if it is any way possible to manully add a little more ram to ftb. Its hard to play with so little mods after your used to infinity and direwolf20.

Any way you guys can help would be awesome.
Cheers!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If you have a 64-bit computer, install 64-bit Java instead of the 32-bit version. Otherwise, nope, you can't allocate more RAM.

Reactions: rhn

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a 64-bit computer, install 64-bit Java instead of the 32-bit version. Otherwise, nope, you can't allocate more RAM.
Not even manually? Is there any way possible? If I have to I will dive into the depths of my computer for a solution if necessary. And the computer is 32-bit :(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not even manually? Is there any way possible? If I have to I will dive into the depths of my computer for a solution if necessary. And the computer is 32-bit :(
The Launcher is capped at 1GB at 32bit because allocating more ram would be bad for performance. Your OS needs 1GB+ to run and it is common for JAVA to use double of what you allocate in the launcher. So as you can see you don't have anything else to work with.

If your memory needs ends up going over what RAM you have installed, your computer ends up having to use your harddrive as RAM instead. This is hopelessly slow and will cause serious "lag" in the game.

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
The Launcher is capped at 1GB at 32bit because allocating more ram would be bad for performance. Your OS needs 1GB+ to run and it is common for JAVA to use double of what you allocate in the launcher. So as you can see you don't have anything else to work with.
Well my computer does have 3gigs of ram. My laptop has 4 and using 2 works fine. So if I could atleast get 1.5gigs that would be helpful.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

If you have a 32-bit CPU and use Windows you are limited to 3GB total system ram due the way Windows is written. 32-bit Java cannot be configured to use more than 1GB because up to 2GB is required for Windows to run smoothly. If Windows is ram-starved you will see even worse performance.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Windows 7(No clue about other versions though) have a "Readyboost" option in the properties menu of most removable memory devices. Slap in an empty flash drive or SD card, set up how much ram to add using the readyboost and done. It is highly advised not to add more ram with readyboost than what your computer already has( Windows gives an advisory amount trying to help).

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
...because up to 2GB is required for Windows to run smoothly.

This just struck me as comical tonight for some reason. I have a win7 lappy for work that is a bloated sloth and a clean boot has it using 2.5ish GB of RAM but I play MMC on a Lubuntu 14.04 LTS machine and it boots up using only 268 MB of the 8GB available. Pathetic the difference in use of resources and attitude towards resources in general. Windows seems sure it is the only thing running on a computer of any value and so naturally all your RAM are belong to us.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
This just struck me as comical tonight for some reason. I have a win7 lappy for work that is a bloated sloth and a clean boot has it using 2.5ish GB of RAM but I play MMC on a Lubuntu 14.04 LTS machine and it boots up using only 268 MB of the 8GB available. Pathetic the difference in use of resources and attitude towards resources in general. Windows seems sure it is the only thing running on a computer of any value and so naturally all your RAM are belong to us.

Also I keep finding windows functions using up the harddrive and ram (I'm talking like 100% on harddrive and over 75% of ram on one fuction) on both my family's computer and my laptop, with my best guess as to what it is doing is defraging the drive, but that still doesn't make sense to me. One day I will learn linux and at most use windows for non-compatible stuff, but that day has not come yet for me...:(

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly it took me a few akward weeks to get good enough at Lubuntu to get Java 7 installed get everything patched up and get the FTB launcher installed (not nearly as easy as Windows) but since that time it has been an absolute treat.

This is what I built in case you are interested: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcJfCJ . Sub $500, 150+ fps, cold boots in 8 seconds, and uses 40 watts running MCC at 150+ fps.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly it took me a few akward weeks to get good enough at Lubuntu to get Java 7 installed get everything patched up and get the FTB launcher installed (not nearly as easy as Windows) but since that time it has been an absolute treat.

This is what I built in case you are interested: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcJfCJ . Sub $500, 150+ fps, cold boots in 8 seconds, and uses 40 watts running MCC at 150+ fps.

If nothing else I would like to use linux as it is free and opensource, not even mentioning that it could be a chance to learn about it for a future IT job, learning more about how all the things work (Windows, while not as bad as Mac, hides alot of this from the user), and I really think it is the future of computing as EVERYTHING uses it but desktops. Routers, most servers, anything android, google's oses, etc., etc. Only down side is programs not being compatible, but with steam os coming around that could be changing for games quite a bit

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Windows 7(No clue about other versions though) have a "Readyboost" option in the properties menu of most removable memory devices. Slap in an empty flash drive or SD card, set up how much ram to add using the readyboost and done. It is highly advised not to add more ram with readyboost than what your computer already has( Windows gives an advisory amount trying to help).
Despite how adamant Microsoft is at trying to sell ReadyBoost as such, ReadyBoost has NOTHING to do with RAM! The removable memory devises will merely serve as an extended memory cache for conventional style harddrives. So if you have older conventional harddrives(Not SSDs) without any significant inbuilt memory cache, you can see a benefit from using ReadyBoost.

The only place where ReadyBoost can even remotely be related to RAM is when you run out of RAM and you start using the Pagefile(Harddrive) instead. And if you REALLY interpret the meaning of Microsofts descriptions of ReadyBoost, with the knowledge of what ReadyBoost really is, then you can read between the lines that it is just boosting your harddrive which also helps in the occurrence of running out of RAM :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jikuja

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Pfff, I ran Win 3.0 as my first GUI-based OS. Strangely enough, my old 3.1 box boots up faster than Win 7 on my regular computer.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
You serious? How old are you? Windows XP was predominantly 32-bit. They released a 64-bit version much later.

I'm over 30 though, so maybe my age is showing.

Highschool age here, got into computers right when 64-bit was a standard thing with vista. Funnily enough, didn't run into a 32-bit computer until I had to deal with the ones at school running XP (which, btw, are still in use:(.) Although if I was about 2-3 years older 32-bit would have been first, so I don't think your age is showing too much

Pfff, I ran Win 3.0 as my first GUI-based OS. Strangely enough, my old 3.1 box boots up faster than Win 7 on my regular computer.

Da freak?!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You serious? How old are you? Windows XP was predominantly 32-bit. They released a 64-bit version much later.

I'm over 30 though, so maybe my age is showing.

Old enough to be out of high school and working towards a degree. I didn't start messing with computers until the one at home was running 64-bit Windows.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Strangely enough, my old 3.1 box boots up faster than Win 7 on my regular computer.
Not strange at all if you compare the quantity of content that have to be loaded. Even if you take modern advanced of tech into account.

Specially if you take into account that our present tech is stagnating in advancement(the the present way of making computers is really approaching its limits on certain aspects. Future computers may rely on revolutionary advancements instead of evolutionary changes to the same old concepts) while we can still think up all kinds of new things that we want to stuff into our OS/programs.

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I kinda we aren't approaching Moore's Law too soon.