If you can help me, i will <3 you forever.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, I kinda we aren't approaching Moore's Law too soon.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah we have been following Moorse Law pretty well for decades, but recently we have started falling behind afaik. Believe it is partly(if not mostly) due to the big limitation of not being able to make smaller transistors for CPUs any more. The transistors have simply become so small that the electrons probability of staying on its circuitry is too small and too much power it getting lost in terms of heat. It is why there is so comparable little difference between for example my 6 year old i7 860 @2.8GHz and brand new comparable ones at around 4GHz.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Youngsters, all of ya!

My first graphical OS was GEOS back in the mid-late 80's. I'd done command line way before that, learning on (gasp!) teletype machines. I juggled between Windows 3.0 and Amiga Workbench for a while (did early video post-production work on the Amiga using a Genlock device). I started leaning more toward PCs into the 90s until Win95 came out and Commodore USA blew itself apart.

From there I migrated through the Windows OS ecosystem as well as the X-Window system on various *nix systems. I briefly dabbled with the NeXTSTEP OS but that pizza-box was pretty expensive back then so I only got to use it at work. Since then it's been about a 60/40 split between Windows and Linux (SCO ruined any taste I had for Xenix a long time ago).

Now you can all feel good about how young most of you are compared to that. :) I know I'm not the oldest here, but I'm old enough to remember ... now what was I saying?

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah we have been following Moorse Law pretty well for decades, but recently we have started falling behind afaik. Believe it is partly(if not mostly) due to the big limitation of not being able to make smaller transistors for CPUs any more. The transistors have simply become so small that the electrons probability of staying on its circuitry is too small and too much power it getting lost in terms of heat. It is why there is so comparable little difference between for example my 6 year old i7 860 @2.8GHz and brand new comparable ones at around 4GHz.

Don't know how many years(or decades for that matter) it will until quantum computing is from even usable for basic tasks, but just hope to see it take a major role someday due to this.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Don't know how many years(or decades for that matter) it will until quantum computing is from even usable for basic tasks, but just hope to see it take a major role someday due to this.
I believe it is still on the "if" it will be on a usable stage. So far it is just a really good idea with some small scale successful experiments afaik. If it will ever be a practical concept for normal consumers is rather unknown.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it is still on the "if" it will be on a usable stage. So far it is just a really good idea with some small scale successful experiments afaik. If it will ever be a practical concept for normal consumers is rather unknown.

All true, just I really don't know what else to "latch" onto for future computing, even though I am no expert in anything that would be involved with quantum computing and I already am wondering how they will get around stuff like needing the super low temps without extremely impractical methods. That and the idea of spinning elections just sounds cool to me I guess, even though what we already do with the things is impressive enough

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Getting back on topic, I've noticed that ME^4 with fastcraft is remarkably RAM efficient. I give it 2GB but it almost never uses more than 1GB. You might give it a try. It isn't a kitchen sink pack but it a very fun map and the mod list is pretty darn good for so little RAM usage.

Siigari

Aug 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Youngsters, all of ya!

My first graphical OS was GEOS back in the mid-late 80's. I'd done command line way before that, learning on (gasp!) teletype machines. I juggled between Windows 3.0 and Amiga Workbench for a while (did early video post-production work on the Amiga using a Genlock device). I started leaning more toward PCs into the 90s until Win95 came out and Commodore USA blew itself apart.

From there I migrated through the Windows OS ecosystem as well as the X-Window system on various *nix systems. I briefly dabbled with the NeXTSTEP OS but that pizza-box was pretty expensive back then so I only got to use it at work. Since then it's been about a 60/40 split between Windows and Linux (SCO ruined any taste I had for Xenix a long time ago).

Now you can all feel good about how young most of you are compared to that. :) I know I'm not the oldest here, but I'm old enough to remember ... now what was I saying?
Lol GEOS. My first OS was DOS. I still have all the diskettes laying around somewhere. My Dad made a pretty cool menu system, was 1 to load windows and 9 to park heads. In the middle of all that were a mix of games, Word and more. All on diskette! :d And Windows on monochrome! Paintbrush was like, patterns ROFL :d

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I actually started computing on an Apple IIe, then a little on MS-DOS. Still have the original disks for SAMMA Word 5.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I actually started computing on an Apple IIe, then a little on MS-DOS. Still have the original disks for SAMMA Word 5.

Apple IIe here too. I remember learning a little BASIC in 3rd grade at a public school in Texas of all places and I've loved programming ever since...even though I'm a chemical engineer and not in comp sci.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
BBC Microcomputer for me, then a 386 with Windows 3.1 :D

My laptop (the only computer I have) is 32bit, and FTB Lite 2 works pretty well for me, even with a few mods added!

- GwnG

Reactions: Senseidragon

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I feel like a nursery room attendant... I ran Windows286 (16-bit) back in the day. I also had Digital Research GEM as an alternate GUI.

This was after 10 years of CP/m and transitioning to DOS (both 8-bit) :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Youngsters, all of ya!

Did you use a model 35 or a model 28 (see sig, bring hearing protection!)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I used to drool for a Silent700... I just had a good surplus shop nearby and already had the model 28 handy from my Ham Radio setup.

N

N0B0DY-1MP0R7AN7

Here's to reviving a super old thread! :D

Here's the issue:
-Yes i know that ReadyBoost is just a small effort to make HDD based virtual memory faster on computers without SSDs
-Yes i know that using virtual memory in place of actual RAM is hopelessly slow on non-SSD HDDs, even with Ready boost enabled devices

However:
-I currently have no way of adding more actual RAM to my laptop.
-I am used to and fine with playing with incredible amounts of lag and with low FPS counts.

So the question is: Is it possible to make Java actually use the virtual memory as well instead of erroring out once it exceeds the size of physical RAM? 4GBs of the 9GB virtual memory my system automatically allocates come from a built in SDcard reader, which allows for R/W speeds orders of magnitudes higher than on the HDD. As such it wouldn't be *too* bad, and definitely a lot better than not being able to play with my desired modpacks at all.

So, yes i'm aware of the limitations of virtual memory, and regardless, i ask: Is there a way to make java actually use that?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Here's to reviving a super old thread! :D

Here's the issue:
-Yes i know that ReadyBoost is just a small effort to make HDD based virtual memory faster on computers without SSDs
-Yes i know that using virtual memory in place of actual RAM is hopelessly slow on non-SSD HDDs, even with Ready boost enabled devices

However:
-I currently have no way of adding more actual RAM to my laptop.
-I am used to and fine with playing with incredible amounts of lag and with low FPS counts.

So the question is: Is it possible to make Java actually use the virtual memory as well instead of erroring out once it exceeds the size of physical RAM? 4GBs of the 9GB virtual memory my system automatically allocates come from a built in SDcard reader, which allows for R/W speeds orders of magnitudes higher than on the HDD. As such it wouldn't be *too* bad, and definitely a lot better than not being able to play with my desired modpacks at all.

So, yes i'm aware of the limitations of virtual memory, and regardless, i ask: Is there a way to make java actually use that?
1) Just make a new thread instead of necroing a three year old post
2) No, there isn't any way to make Java use the virtual memory, because of how Java works.
3) Minecraft is no longer suitable for playing on small computers. Basic minecraft itself requires 2GB-ish RAM, before you start tossing mods into the equation. If you can't allocate at least 4GB, you are almost certain to not be able to play Modded Minecraft, even Lite packs, because Minecraft has become bloatware ever since M$ took over.

N

N0B0DY-1MP0R7AN7

I mean...i tried doing what someone else said and simply bumped the xmx up to 6G even though i only have 4GB. And it worked.
Now i just have to figure out which mod that i added is causing it to play at 0.2fps, because with the simple direwolf20 pack the game ran relatively smoothly above 10fps.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I mean...i tried doing what someone else said and simply bumped the xmx up to 6G even though i only have 4GB. And it worked.
Now i just have to figure out which mod that i added is causing it to play at 0.2fps, because with the simple direwolf20 pack the game ran relatively smoothly above 10fps.
Almost 100% certain that is is not a mod that is causing it to run at 0.2fps. It is the fact that you are using your HD, or even worse a SD card reader as memory...

If you want to play modded minecraft with an older system, then I would recommend some of the older and smaller packs.

N

N0B0DY-1MP0R7AN7

well again: the direwolf pack runs at normal speeds
the only thing i changed was adding a couple things
plus since it's an integrated SD card reader it actually runs a *lot* faster than the HDD