I Derp, You Derp, We all Derp, What's your's?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
"Wow, I made a mistake and my base blew up. I feel properly punished!"
I saw that (paraphrased) quote about Gregtech once. That's why I stick with safe, simple (boring, to some) RF. :p
LOL. I am actually not a sucker for punishment. You can disable machine explosions in the GT config. I don't do that because then I wouldn't notice if I made a real mistake rather than being the victim of interface mechanics, but I wouldn't mind if the consequences were less drastic - such as only this one machine melting. In any case, machine explosions and burning cables don't influence gameplay very much and it's more of a trademark feature of the mod. The real difference between GT's and most other mod's power systems is power loss, because it imposes real restrictions on the way you can design your facilities and connect them.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
LOL. I am actually not a sucker for punishment. You can disable machine explosions in the GT config. I don't do that because then I wouldn't notice if I made a real mistake rather than being the victim of interface mechanics, but I wouldn't mind if the consequences were less drastic - such as only this one machine melting. In any case, machine explosions and burning cables don't influence gameplay very much and it's more of a trademark feature of the mod. The real difference between GT's and most other mod's power systems is power loss, because it imposes real restrictions on the way you can design your facilities and connect them.
Yeah. I prefer RF; it has good compatibility and it is extremely uncomplicated. :p To me, the challenge is in transportation networks, not energy networks. That's a difference of playstyle, though. :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Recently in GregTech:

I was in the process of upgrading my very compact cluster of machines to the MV tier. I placed another one and immediately wanted to configure it. Unfortunately, two mechanics conspired against me: GT machines take a few seconds after they've been placed before they can be interacted with, and I was too early - and Inventory Tweaks automatically pushes another item of the same id group (no idea where those are defined, but all GT machines share one group) into your hands if you place the last one of a stack. So, what I now did was not "interact with new machine" but "place another machine randomly selected from those in my inventory". As my luck would have it, that was one of the LV machines I had just dismantled, and an MV cable just happened to be next to the block space where I placed it....

...BOOM! The concentration of power around the wrongly-placed machine was high, and the explostion destroyed everything in a 6-block radius, including about 20 machines I had spent half a real-time day crafting.
Be glad you weren't messing around with EV transformers, voltage and machines :p

From what I hear those are VERY unforgiving.
(Varies with version though I think)

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
Fig 1: Spend 3 hrs getting to the point of silverwood wand + thaumium caps because I just HAD to rush it before i had a good setup. Fig 2: Decide that nitor would be good around the base Fig 3: get everything lined up and am tossing it in Fig 4: Throw my precious silverwood wand into crucible, getting a huge amount of flux all over the place and cleaning it up just to find that there is already taint all over the place.\

I have many bad experiences with thaumcraft, maybe i'll find the time to write all 17 of them someday...

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Oh my....so many bad experiences with the Thaumcraft crucible. I'm glad that I don't use it. As soon as possible, I do all alchemy with the Thaumatorium. It requires one additional step - distilling essentia, but I never have to worry about flux, and no valuable items will accidentally be destroyed. The only thing which is equally painful to make is balanced shards.

Last edited:

RJS

Jul 29, 2019

I trusted @RJS

Same, buddy. Same. ;-;

OK, so I feel I have to set the record straight here.

I made a book, and used a cauldron ritual from Witchery to curse it so that the next person to read it would be attacked by nightmares. I then warned everyone one the server that reading the book would get you attacked. Jedi read the book. Go figure whose fault that is :p

I then went and helped jedi get his stuff back from a grave in the middle of a lava lake. I gave him a fire resist potion, I fought my way through tons of mobs that had spawned near where he was waiting for me to arrive, and I brought a bucket of blood to help protect him from the lava. Jedi managed to drown while retrieving his stuff, despite me placing the blood down at his request.

With Eruantien, I offered him the opportunity to go on an adventure to a dimension with no hostile mobs, and chest loot. I admitted, when asked, that this was in fact the Plane of Torment. Eruantien agreed to go, and I sent him there, where he promptly got his hands on a portal gun.

Long story short: I'm honest with people and try to help, and yet it's somehow still my fault. My derp? Counting these two as my friends :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So I recently moved house IRL. Upon setting my PC back up, it wasn't powering on when I pushed the butan.

This is something I've had before with this machine, the PSU goes all rainman if it's left unplugged for too long. The capacitor light comes on and it flickers when one pushes the power button (so it's obviously connected to the mainboard OK), but it just wouldn't power on.

My workaround for this is to basically unplug it from both the mains and the motherboard, wait for the capacitor light to turn off then reconnect both. Don't ask me why but for some reason this works...

However, it seems to have caused a secondary problem.

Ever since I did this, I've been getting a silly "disk seek error" on startup. It evidently isn't a HDD failure since I can F1 through it and load my boot loader. I thought maybe something had gone funky in my drive partitioning or something. I've been scratching my head about this for a couple of weeks now.

Today I finally got fed up and googled it.

Apparently one little BIOS setting had changed and it was looking for a nonexistent floppy disk drive.

DERP.

If I'd read the error message properly or just looked it up sooner, it would have taken me 30 seconds to fix it XD

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
It is possible to replacing traditional piping with an arbitrary number of Automagy Thirsty Tanks. That does not necessarily make it a good idea, especially for providing Water to a Railcraft Boiler.

I'm not sure /how/ I managed to put a Glyph of the Bovine on that tank.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible to replacing traditional piping with an arbitrary number of Automagy Thirsty Tanks. That does not necessarily make it a good idea, especially for providing Water to a Railcraft Boiler.

I'm not sure /how/ I managed to put a Glyph of the Bovine on that tank.
Soooooo... I'm coding my mod, and I'm trying to get the amount of protection given be based on the amount of RF in the armor. I set up a method to get a double for the percent of energy left in the armor (so, say, .94 for 94% energy left). I set it up, but the armor acts weird; after taking a single hit, it no longer provides ANY protection. I look into my code, and add some calls to a logging thingy, and then take another look at the output. Current Energy: 9736. Total Energy: 10,000. Percent Energy Left: 0.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
As it turns out, the numbers I was dividing - 9736 and 10,000 - were integers, and for some wacky reason decided that division was too good for them. I set them to be doubles instead, and now the method returns the correct percentage.

On the other hand, the armor I'm trying to make is still borked - it provides 100% protection at any amount of charge and 0% at 0 charge. >.<
If you know anything about modding, please go to my post in the development section and give me some advice. I'm still fairly new to modding...