hungry node location?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
i read a post about the deaths in hungry nodes and it said that jungle biomes have the highest probablity of having a hungry node[note i am looking for a hungry node]
is it true? how rare are hungry nodes? ive been looking for ages in 2 diffrent dimensions and cant find one

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I've only ever spotted them in the overworld.

Have you taken a look in Thaumcraft's configs to see if there is anything there about frequency?

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I heard they can also be found in the Twilight Forest, and what's more, if you find one in either dimension, there will be another at the exact same coordinates in the other dimension.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
i read a post about the deaths in hungry nodes and it said that jungle biomes have the highest probablity of having a hungry node[note i am looking for a hungry node]
is it true? how rare are hungry nodes? ive been looking for ages in 2 diffrent dimensions and cant find one

Your thaumcraft.cfg contains two lines of interest here:

# How rare nodes are in the world. The number means there will be (on average) one node per N chunks.
I:node_rarity=36
# The chance of a node being special (pure, dark, unstable, etc.). The number means roughly 1 in N nodes will be special, so setting the number to 5 will mean 1 in 5 nodes may be special.
I:special_node_rarity=18

Now, the question is, how many special nodes are there. Pure, Bright, Pale, Fading, Unstable, Sinister, Tainted and Hungry at least.

So, just for reference. If you create a vanilla map, and zoom it out to cover the max area it shows a 2048x2048 area. Which is 128x128 chunks.

So, 16384 chunks in a 4km² area.
1 in 36 of those chunks should contain a node on average, so there should be ~455 nodes in that area.
1 in 18 of those will be special, so there are 25 special nodes.
We know of 8 special nodes if we assume that the weighting is about equal, so ~3 nodes in the 4km² area covered by the 1:16 scale vanilla map (which is also the scale of a Twilight Forest map) should be hungry.

I don't know if thaumcrafts worldgen structures (Obelisks, Eldritch Obelisks, Barrow Dens and Sinister Henges) that incorporate sinister nodes are generated by the node placement algorithm or are extra.
But given the above my personal experience is that of the special nodes, Sinister is most common, then Bright,Pale and Fading. Then pure, unstable and hungry. And I never see tainted nodes outside their biome.

With that in mind, I think that you are closer to expecting 1 hungry node per 4km² area.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Easiest way to find a hungry node is to create a void age and fly around at y=10, this layer has the greatest concentration of nodes, plus it's easier to see them

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
yay
i have a void dimension i had to scout for about an hour now on y10 with draconic armour
found a hungry node
.. did not get time to analyse it it just started pushing me around so i flew away
thanks to everyone who helped

Reactions: Type1Ninja

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I found a hungry node in Aroma's mining world. As it's a flat open space, its pretty easy to find nodes in general, so your sample size is likely bigger than the overworld.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I hear if you get too close you start seeing images of Sam Neill with his eyes gouged out.
... We all know that the real hungry node is the last phrase of your signiature. :p

They flew out of the cloud. They saw the staggering jewels of the night in their infinite dust and their minds sang with fear. For a while they flew on, motionless against the starry sweep of the Galaxy, itself motionless against the infinite sweep of the Universe. And then they turned round.

"It'll have to go," the men of Krikkit said as they headed back for home.

On the way back they sang a number of tuneful and reflective songs on the subjects of peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life and the obliteration of all other life forms.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

natirs

Oct 12, 2013
israel
im using a charm of dislocation
and its so infuriating that thing that its so hard to get away X D
and i start seeing the light in the tunnel when im too close

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I spent a few hours searching for a hungry node yesterday. Even if I missed a few nodes in the areas I searched, I would guess that I should have stumbled upon one by now. How likely are they to generate above ground? Should I run around the Overworld staring straight down trying to find these damn things? I started a world a few months ago as just a throw away world and there was a hungry node 100 blocks from spawn. I didn't know what it was at the time and I was like ... "whoa, this is cool." but now that I actually want to find one, I can't. For some reason, heading to another dimension built specifically to make it easier to find a hungry node feels cheaty... It kind of makes me want to built a TC addon w/ a system that makes it easier to find desirable nodes...like AE2's meteor locator or something: put your wand in a compass and watch it spin then point to the nearest node. Maybe put a 'focus' on it that's matched towards a node type (bright, pure, unstable, tainted, hungry, etc.) and if there's no 'focus', it points to the node w/ the greatest amount of vis of the lowest value vis in the current wand so you can steadily use the tool to refill your wand quickly...as if the wand itself is 'hungry' for vis and is pointing you towards what it wants.

Last edited: