How to taint and control tainted areas?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
TC4 taint is far more similar to TC2's method. You wouldn't be terribly far off to think of it as evolved in concept.

TC4 as a whole is still developing though, so a lot remains to be seen in taint management tools beyond the 2 main options currently.
..There are two options now? Unless one was new map... Do tell.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
..There are two options now? Unless one was new map... Do tell.
Ethereal Blooms and Silverwood trees.

The blooms clean taint within an 8-block circle (maybe sphere, I dunno).

The Silverwood saplings need to be placed just outside the area so they can grow before they become tainted. Once grown, if they have a pure node in the trunk they create a magical forest and start to override the taint.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ethereal Blooms and Silverwood trees.

The blooms clean taint within an 8-block circle (maybe sphere, I dunno).

The Silverwood saplings need to be placed just outside the area so they can grow before they become tainted. Once grown, if they have a pure node in the trunk they create a magical forest and start to override the taint.
Huh. My old as hell tests included Silverwood Saplings and trying to get nodes. Do we have to wait for them to grow naturally?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So...
  • Taint will spread only by 1 after block vines
  • A tainted node can too taint a biome area
  • Tainted biome spawn vines
Tainted land biomes do NOT spawn fiber, at least in magic farm.

If you have the biome free of fiber, it will stay free.

People have indicated that if the biome can spread, then when it spreads it may generate fiber; as far as I know, this requires an infected node (based on what I've heard from others, value at two gains of salt).

We need now research how :
  • We can restrain with ethereal blooms three-dimensionally
A bloom changes the biome. Taint-blocks -- fiber, grass, plants, spores, soil, and tainticles -- all die / change to normal when in non-tainted land biomes.

So a bloom will result in, assuming nothing changes the biome back, elimination of the taint objects at all height.

• Triggers for tainted mobs
  • Aesthetically and other uses
Trigger ... my current working hypothesis is either: 1, very low chance at any time, or 2, chance dependent on total active taint activity.

Aesthetics: Some people like purple grass and sky.

Sorry for my low contribution because my game since the new version of Direwolf20 only runs at 3 ~ 14 fps, I only play this pack and have little time to spend testing otherwise

Well, some good news, I may have some improvements for launch arguments for you soon. I'm focusing on testing magic farm, and tossing out problem ideas that fail in testing.

How many cores, and how much memory is available for java, on your machine?

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. My old as hell tests included Silverwood Saplings and trying to get nodes. Do we have to wait for them to grow naturally?
I usually let them grow naturally, but I think I got one using a hoe of growth once.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Is "Core 2 duo" a 2+2 core, or a pure 2 core?

Is your game (I'm assuming single player, please tell me if I'm wrong) subject to "Stuttering" where it just has pauses that are noticeable? If so, do they ever get to be over a second?

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
its 2 cores, the last intel tech before i3.
I play single player
My game is "Stuttering" 2~5 seconds, i tried optifine but never helped me even disabling anything, i only kept the animations, so i dont use optifine anymore.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Alright. 2 real cores, and no hyperthreading virtual cores, with lots of stuttering.

Try the following startup arguments:

-Xincgc
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses
-XX:-CMSPrecleaningEnabled -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=0
-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=82 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=21
-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=25 -XX:SurvivorRatio=4
-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:GC.log

EDIT: If you don't use the FTB launcher, add this flag as well:
-XX:MaxPermSize=250m

It should give an improvement; consider it a work-in-progress. I'm assuming Java 7 (I'm no longer testing java 6)

I have Intel 3000 HD graphics on my system, and it can handle the graphical load even in the jungle on fancy. But I have an 8 core system that doesn't even get to 50%, so I'm not sure how much of that is just CPU overkill. Start with this, try fast and/or short render distance, and if it's still giving stutters, let me see that GC.log file please.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I just confirmed that the taint vines will regrow/reappear in tainted biomes even after destroying them all with creative. Which means that the only way to stop taint is to change the biome and it also means that nuking it has no effect. Since it will just regrow over time until the biome is corrected via the methods already disused.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I just confirmed that the taint vines will regrow/reappear in tainted biomes even after destroying them all with creative. Which means that the only way to stop taint is to change the biome and it also means that nuking it has no effect. Since it will just regrow over time until the biome is corrected via the methods already disused.
Did you make sure to eliminate ALL the tendrils, including all of them that could have spawned in underground tunnels? Or did you test on a superflat with no tunnels?

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
Since taint doesn't go through half slabs, could you create a wall (one slab per block space ) around the taint with them from bedrock?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure that it was not "hiding", invisible, in the air?

Watch on YouTube

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
keybounce
No changes, its your log, so big to copy and paste here or pastebin site
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SA6hp0dRXIcFF2R0VxMDFHZGs/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting.

You're stable at about 820 MB of needed tenure space until about an hour and a half into the log (about 6,000 seconds).

Then it starts to go up.

Nothing that I'm seeing in that log shows any problem from garbage collection, and you've said that you have lots of memory available, so it wouldn't be swap space fighting.

Hmm.

Eyamaz is working on the compilation control flags; maybe he can help you.
All I can say is that your memory behavior is just fine, and it's not garbage collection.

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Its my tainted test area, a msytcraft world with low light lvls
The up and sides torches are markers of the initial taint color at max tainted node range
2014_02_06_21_00_10.png