How to taint and control tainted areas?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
How to taint?
How to control taint areas?
  • Taint jump blocks?
  • It spread block to block or its have a big area of influence?
How aesthetically use taint and move his features?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well I know you can use shimmerleaf(the upgraded version, forgot what its called) and silverwoods to stop it from spreading. Though silverwood may clean up more than you like. Also, a feature is taint is a magic biome, so... Magic bean farming?
Oh, and tainted chickens are cute.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Well I know you can use shimmerleaf(the upgraded version, forgot what its called) and silverwoods to stop it from spreading. Though silverwood may clean up more than you like. Also, a feature is taint is a magic biome, so... Magic bean farming?
Oh, and tainted chickens are cute.

... cute and evil... Watching a devil chicken attacking everything in sight can be fun though.

You can use Etherial Blooms and Silverwood trees to contain and/or control taint. The only way I can think of to create taint in a new area would be to silktouch some and move it.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
... cute and evil... Watching a devil chicken attacking everything in sight can be fun though.

You can use Etherial Blooms and Silverwood trees to contain and/or control taint. The only way I can think of to create taint in a new area would be to silktouch some and move it.
ETHERAL BLOOMS!!!
Thats what I was talking about...

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Taint spread in another biomes?
Taint will transform the atribute "biome" ?
Does silverwood stop taint like a wall or a aura?
Have shimmerleaf any effect on taint?
Will tainted node spread taint, and what area size?

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Taint will spread across any biome unless stopped.
Taint will change the biome.
Silverwoods stop taint with an area like an aura.
Shimmerleaf does nothing to taint, you want the Etherial Bloom through thaumcraft research.
I havent found any tainted nodes yet so I'm not sure, but I imagine that yes it will spread taint and as much as it can until it gets stopped.

Reactions: Infallible83

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe so. Since the taint changes the biome, I have read that it can jump gaps. I think you would need a sizeable gap to prevent the taint from spreading. And that gap would probably have to go to bedrock because the taint could just spread across the bottom, even across the sea.[DOUBLEPOST=1390927336][/DOUBLEPOST]Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I have far more experience with Thaumcraft 3 taint than Thaumcraft 4.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe so. Since the taint changes the biome, I have read that it can jump gaps. I think you would need a sizeable gap to prevent the taint from spreading. And that gap would probably have to go to bedrock because the taint could just spread across the bottom, even across the sea.[DOUBLEPOST=1390927336][/DOUBLEPOST]Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I have far more experience with Thaumcraft 3 taint than Thaumcraft 4.
Across the sea?
I have a new project...

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Can a tainted biome spawn naturally tain even it dont have any tainted blocks?
Ethereal bloom area is 8 to each side? affect a circle or a cylinder?
Etheral bloom clean the blocks or clean too the biome atribute?
I think if it spawn naturally in a tainted biome, i will need build a barrier with blooms ?x? (bloom in center) with a minimum of 8 blooms.
If not, i can simply mine a huge hole with a quarry and build a garden in center isolated 4 to 8 of all other blocks.
What do u think?

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
What I've heard, taint can't "jump" blocks. so you should be able to surround the area with a line of cobblestone and it shouldn't spread.
Ethereal bloom does effect heights other than the level it is planted on, and I do think it's cylindrical but it could be spherical.
They do convert the biome back to what i was previously.
Whatever you do though, do not taint a biome that can spawn sheep, or anywhere near one.
Tainted sheep spawn near tainted land, and they randomly spew up single blocks of taint enabling more sheep to spawn. All those single blocks are very annoying to pin down.
I have had extensive problems with cleaning a couple of naturally spawned taint chunks near spawn on my server, because even when they are long gone (cheated in some ethereal bloom) the few single taint blocks spawn new tainted sheep within a huge area around it that keeps the circle going.

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Tankh, i have towers with turrets, sheep will be knocked back or die.
I will continue my proejct with a simple stone+dirt plataform and 8 blooms

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
By default in monster taint biome spread is disabled in the configs so that it cannot convert other biomes to tainted ones. However the surface taint can spread out side said biomes and spawn all the taint creatures.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the ethereal blooms affect an 8-block radius circle, not a square. I tried placing one in the center of a naturally-spawned tainted chunk, and it did not clean the corners of that chunk. I ended up placing 4 of them; one in the center of each side of the chunk. That did the trick, but it takes a lot of blooms.

After creating six new worlds and finding tainted biomes visible from spawn on all six of them (MW2), I just disabled naturally-spawned taint biomes in the config. I can still taint the land if I'm not careful, but starting out with a significant portion of the "spawn chunk" as tainted just sucks. I wonder if I can re-enable them after I load the spawn area?

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the ethereal blooms affect an 8-block radius circle, not a square. I tried placing one in the center of a naturally-spawned tainted chunk, and it did not clean the corners of that chunk. I ended up placing 4 of them; one in the center of each side of the chunk. That did the trick, but it takes a lot of blooms.

After creating six new worlds and finding tainted biomes visible from spawn on all six of them (MW2), I just disabled naturally-spawned taint biomes in the config. I can still taint the land if I'm not careful, but starting out with a significant portion of the "spawn chunk" as tainted just sucks. I wonder if I can re-enable them after I load the spawn area?

Yes. When you then explore the world with taint gen re-enabled, worldgen may generate new chunks with taint.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. When you then explore the world with taint gen re-enabled, worldgen may generate new chunks with taint.
Ah, that would be exactly what I want. I just don't want any tainted land within say, 20 chunks of spawn.

I got lucky with the server I've been running, but who knows when a world reset will come with a beta modpack?

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
Ethereal blooms will protect a sphere or a cylinder?
if a tainted biome spawn tainted vines, it can spread in underground and can spread with taint blocks by passing the biome spheric protection of the ethereal bloom, but a cylinder protection will protect 100% of underground

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Easy enough to test by placing an Ethereal Bloom and plopping some taint bits above or below at a range of 9-10 blocks.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
If, by some reason, you didn't have taint disabled when creating a new world and there was taint within chunk-loading (server-wise or player view distance-wise) of spawn, you can also always (re)set spawn to a different location.

If I like a map (world), but the spawn is in a crappy location, I'll wander around until I find a decent spot and then move spawn there.

This time, I got lucky and my spawn was in a forest less than 200m from plains, desert, jungle, and a snow biome, and no taint within ~300m.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
A way to artificially create taint, apparently if you get a tainted node, and stick it down near an obsidian totem, the totem will start spreading taint tendrils.