How to taint and control tainted areas?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A way to artificially create taint, apparently if you get a tainted node, and stick it down near an obsidian totem, the totem will start spreading taint tendrils.
Technically the Tainted Node itself should be doing that, as the Totem is really just a fancy way of holding a Sinister Node.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Technically the Tainted Node itself should be doing that, as the Totem is really just a fancy way of holding a Sinister Node.
mm, but I saw a little bit of a DW20 episode where another person was reporting on their findings, and apparently you needed the totem as well as the tainted node to start the thing off, and then the tainted node was all that was required to keep it going

EDIT: Just going to put a disclaimer here, it is hear-say and I haven't tested this myself in any way shape or form.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
it seems minimaps have issues with taint/biome changes.

reis decided not to update biome changes at all unless I unloaded/reloaded the chunks.
opis has no biome overlay, so harder to tell if I got all the taint before I set the nuke off.
opis then refused to update to reflect either the ethereal blooms cleansing, or the nuke going off. it would flicker, then go back to the old, pre-bloom shots.

don't use silverwood/pure node unless you want/don't mind magical forest biome.
[REDACTED]
thanks slowking.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
it seems minimaps have issues with taint/biome changes.

reis decided not to update biome changes at all unless I unloaded/reloaded the chunks.
opis has no biome overlay, so harder to tell if I got all the taint before I set the nuke off.
opis then refused to update to reflect either the ethereal blooms cleansing, or the nuke going off. it would flicker, then go back to the old, pre-bloom shots.

don't use silverwood/pure node unless you want/don't mind magical forest biome.
also, that node can be eaten if too small*

*someone fact check this, I have no idea how that works in the new TC.
Nodes can only be eaten if they are fading and you drain all aspects
Nodes are no longer eatem

Reactions: RedBoss

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
My experience, in Magic Farm:

Tainted Lands (the biome) has spread turned off, but can still spread if a node is affected or tainted sheep graze on grass.

Fibrous Taint (the surface cover block) spreads "like" grass, but will only spread to blocks in Tainted Lands. It will spread to cover any solid block.

Be aware that "Fibrous Taint" is actually in the NEXT block -- while it may appear to be on top of, or on the side of, or underneath block X, it is actually in the air next to it -- so it may seem to spread one block farther than you think grass should spread.

Finally, "Invisible" fiber can exist in the air, typically at an inside corner, one block too high. It can still spread from there, so even if you think you have all the fiber out of an area, it might come back. If you see this happen, take another look around.

If you rely on ground color to tell you where the edge of the tainted lands are, be aware that fiber can live one block farther away from "purple" than you might think ... yeah.

Fiber can be spread from (at least): Fiber, tainted soil, tainted grass, tainted plants. Crusted Fiber, spores, taintacles, I don't know for certain.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any blocks taint -cant -spread to? And will silverwood/blossoms save the underground as well?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any blocks taint -cant -spread to? And will silverwood/blossoms save the underground as well?
taint wont spread to partial blocks IE slabs stairs fences.
noticed this when terrain gen stuck a village in a tainted region.

silverwoods and blooms change the biome. they may not stop the spread in already infected underground areas (need to test), but they will stop the area from becoming infected, as taint spreads through converting the biome into taint.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The way taint works is that it randomly spawns with in the special purple taint biomes as a creeping vine. Which slowly spreads over the biome and into the caves/underground. Now once it spreads out side of the biome there is a percent change per block update to convert the biome to a tainted one. In addition to the taint vines the biomes also spawn other taint creatures like the tentacles and spider pods. As well as converting the blocks with in the biome to solid taint and applying a poison like debuff to any thing that enters said biome. Which also has a random chance to convert any creature it kills into a tainted version that spreads the taint even further.

Be aware however that the chance of converting a chunk to a tainted one is set to 0 in the monster config and this basically limits/disables taint spread.

Now to stop the taint you will need to not only convert the biome to something else with silverwoods/blossoms/blood magic rituals/twilight's tree of transformation but also need to kill all the vines. As they are the real taint and what spreads it. However it is pointless to kill them until the biome is converted as it will just spawn more.

Now to contain the taint, simply walling it off with cobble will have no effect as it will just grow over the wall. However if you use blocks that vines cannot grow on such as half slabs and other similar blocks it can be contained.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Is the debuff disabled in magic farm? I have not found any such problem, and I'm actually looking to set up shop in a purple zone in this current world.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Is the debuff disabled in magic farm? I have not found any such problem, and I'm actually looking to set up shop in a purple zone in this current world.
I don't think there's a setting to turn the debuff off. It is somewhat random, though... I've run straight through a large taint area without getting the debuff, but the more time you spend in there the more likely it will pop up.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Theoretically, you could build roads everywhere and just never step on tainted land... but the blitzkrieg chickens and vomiting sheep will be a problem :p

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
So...
  • Taint will spread only by 1 after block vines
  • A tainted node can too taint a biome area
  • Tainted biome spawn vines
We need now research how :
  • We can restrain with ethereal blooms three-dimensionally
  • Triggers for tainted mobs
  • Aesthetically and other uses
Sorry for my low contribution because my game since the new version of Direwolf20 only runs at 3 ~ 14 fps, I only play this pack and have little time to spend testing otherwise

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Taint and methods of dealing with it are still developing too. Ethereal Blooms were not available right away and we had only the silverwood and shimmerleaf to work with.

I have seen some hints that there is plenty more to come in handling taint and I'm sure Azanor will come up with more evil goodies coming out of the taint itself. :D

Saberwulfy

Jul 29, 2019
I've tested a silverwood log and and planks, the vines engulfed the log and the plank have invisible vines engulfing

Last edited:

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
TC3 had taint, but it was handled differently and it wasn't as visible.

EDIT: Sorry, it was called Flux, but it was essentially taint.

I know TC3 high-flux areas could spawn wisps and such but TC2 Taint.... That was a nightmare. I had an entire, beautiful base completely destroyed.

Like I said, I only dabbled in TC3 a bit right after it came out so maybe later updates made it worse but for me id didn't compare to TC2 and I'm not really sure how either compares to TC4 as I am waiting until I die in my hardcore Ars Magica 2 playthrough before diving in.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
TC4 taint is far more similar to TC2's method. You wouldn't be terribly far off to think of it as evolved in concept.

TC4 as a whole is still developing though, so a lot remains to be seen in taint management tools beyond the 2 main options currently.