How to start RotaryCraft?

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
There is no way that a Gasoline Engine can run a extractor non stop at 2M speed. No matter how many gearboxes you have, there is no way to achieve 512 T / 2M Rad/s with just one. For example 32 Hydros connected to a gearbox can only make 512 T / 32K Rad/s.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There is no way that a Gasoline Engine can run a extractor non stop at 2M speed. No matter how many gearboxes you have, there is no way to achieve 512 T / 2M Rad/s with just one.
You are correct; I was thinking one engine to make 65536 rad/s.

For example 32 Hydros connected to a gearbox can only make 512 T / 32K Rad/s.
...No...
You only need 4 hydrokinetics, then a 65536x gearbox (rather, 4 16x or 2 256x).

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
All fair points, but I made bold what I felt might be a bit unneeded. Like, almost an attack at me level unneeded.
I enjoy RoC. It's just that early game is not that different then any other tech mod I've used(except Mek but that's another story). It adds some automated farming and a bit of defense/utility to early game. Yawn. Lets get into the fun and useful stuff. Do I use machines in RoC? Yes. Do I use early tier machines? Yes. Do I use the automated farming bits? No. I go straight for mid-tier(where I place the minimum power level for the extractor stages 2/3), and enjoy the later stuff.
My point in saying that wasn't to be crappy to you. My point is we don't need everyone on the forums going all gregtech on every mod people disagree on. Think how those threads turn out. I could pick apart several mods I am not a fan of, but I'd rather find and share good info on the ones I use.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
My point in saying that wasn't to be crappy to you. My point is we don't need everyone on the forums going all gregtech on every mod people disagree on. Think how those threads turn out. I could pick apart several mods I am not a fan of, but I'd rather find and share good info on the ones I use.
And my point was that early game RoC is automated farming and I have no need for another choice for that. I'm hardly picking it apart.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, a quick question: am I doing this wrong?

By the time I can make and power the early game stuff, I've already got a farm (at least wheat) and my base lit up -- so early automated farms or defenses aren't of much value.

So for the beginning game, what is supposed to be of value before the ore multipliers or mining machines?

(another look at that list)
  • Autobreeder (Automated animal breeding) @ 16kW
  • Mob Radar @ 8kW
  • Scaleable Chest (large storage chest) @ 4kW
  • Woodcutter (Automated tree farming) @ 16kW
  • Friction Heater (Fuel-free and often accelerated smelting) @ 8 kW
  • Arrow Gun (Automatic Arrow Dispenser + additional damage) @ 1kW
  • Fertilizer (Plant growth acceleration) @ 1kW
  • Water Aggregator (Out-of-thin-air water production) @ 8kW
  • Lava Smeltery (Smelting 18 items at once) @ 2kW + some lava
  • Fluid Crystallizer (Making stone, ender pearls, ice, et cetera from their molten forms) @2kW
  • Grindstone (tool repair) @ 16kW
  • Pneumatic Item Pump (high speed item transport) @ 1kW
Lava access early game isn't really viable as a fuel source. (Or, wait -- did I misunderstand -- the lava smeltery does use up the lava, right?), and wood/coal/charcoal hasn't really been a factor for me. But the crystallizer to make ice before I can get silk touch ... that is certainly useful.

Beyond that? What am I missing/misunderstanding for the usefulness of the early game stuff?

(Maybe I need to take another look at the friction heater? ... nothing else even looks viable.)

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, a quick question: am I doing this wrong?

By the time I can make and power the early game stuff, I've already got a farm (at least wheat) and my base lit up -- so early automated farms or defenses aren't of much value.

So for the beginning game, what is supposed to be of value before the ore multipliers or mining machines?

(another look at that list)
  • Autobreeder (Automated animal breeding) @ 16kW
  • Mob Radar @ 8kW
  • Scaleable Chest (large storage chest) @ 4kW
  • Woodcutter (Automated tree farming) @ 16kW
  • Friction Heater (Fuel-free and often accelerated smelting) @ 8 kW
  • Arrow Gun (Automatic Arrow Dispenser + additional damage) @ 1kW
  • Fertilizer (Plant growth acceleration) @ 1kW
  • Water Aggregator (Out-of-thin-air water production) @ 8kW
  • Lava Smeltery (Smelting 18 items at once) @ 2kW + some lava
  • Fluid Crystallizer (Making stone, ender pearls, ice, et cetera from their molten forms) @2kW
  • Grindstone (tool repair) @ 16kW
  • Pneumatic Item Pump (high speed item transport) @ 1kW
Lava access early game isn't really viable as a fuel source. (Or, wait -- did I misunderstand -- the lava smeltery does use up the lava, right?), and wood/coal/charcoal hasn't really been a factor for me. But the crystallizer to make ice before I can get silk touch ... that is certainly useful.

Beyond that? What am I missing/misunderstanding for the usefulness of the early game stuff?

(Maybe I need to take another look at the friction heater? ... nothing else even looks viable.)
The lava smeltery uses some lava, yes, but not a lot. IIRC anyway.

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly see no reason why you would view any of things as not viable in the early game. They actually look like they would be incredibly useful when you'e starting out!

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Lava Smeltery is more for bulk processing, once you're doing a lot of quarrying or something similar. It consumes both power and lava (especially while warming up) but does the most parallel cooking you'll see outside Mekanism. Note that the rock melter provides lava without taking too much material to build. For earlier work, you'd want the Friction Heater, which is /very/ good : a single steam engine will power it so that the furnace cooks faster and for free. It's in Accessories in the handbook, which is a bit confusing.

If your pack doesn't have other sources of passive power generation, you can also support a small Applied Energistics system through Steam Engines without needing a fuel loop, but the iron costs are pretty significant (at least 8 steam engines, multiple joins). I'm... not really happy with how that's balanced.

Much of the early-game stuff depends on what other mods are in your pack. RotaryCraft + BuildCraft + Forestry, for example, RotaryCraft's farming options are pretty good starting choices while you're still building up the Tin, Apatite, and energy storage for a Foresty MultiFarm. RotaryCraft + MineFactoryReloaded, you're probably better off using MineFactoryReloaded. A Grinder and the Friction Heater handily beat Thaumcraft 4's Infernal Furnace for supported ores much earlier and at lower research cost (though the Grinder does some odd stuff), but there's little reason to mess with a RotaryCraft arrow launcher when you could be working toward defense golems or a wand focus. The Grindstone isn't of much use if you're running Tinker's Construct, and can't quite be as good as Repair II enchantments, but it's /vastly/ less expensive.

Last edited:

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
after reading quite alot of threads about RC. im ending up here..
with 1 simple question..

is it possible to move the RC machines, WITHOUT breaking them, and thereby have to make them again??

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Mod pack? It looks like the entire set of tech mods will be Steve's Carts (primarily for the better rails/minecarts more than for automation), forestry+extra bees (one player is a genetics student, another is an ex-beekeeper in real life, and I want the pretty wood), and rotarycraft (It's called the overkill server, and nothing is more overkill than end-game RoC.). No Buildcraft or MFR. The game for me is far more about what you build/decorate than what you automate; automation for building supplies (imagine a giant sandcastle build out of sandstone, with automation just to supply the sandstone. That kind of thing.)

Rock melter for lava, and friction heater.

I honestly see no reason why you would view any of things as not viable in the early game. They actually look like they would be incredibly useful when you're starting out!

Because unless I'm missing something, by the time I can make and power them, I don't need them. Cobble is cheap; a furnace wall is cheap; coal/charcoal/fuel saplings are cheap. Lava smeltery as a mid to late automation furnace, yes; as early game?

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
is it possible to move the RC machines, WITHOUT breaking them, and thereby have to make them again??
At least all the ones I've made so far drop if hit with a stone mining pick, although you have to be somewhat careful with the ones that run over lava.

Thomas Junker

Jul 29, 2019
At least all the ones I've made so far drop if hit with a stone mining pick, although you have to be somewhat careful with the ones that run over lava.

I've tried with stone, iron, HSLA, Diamond pickaxes even Diamond with silktouch.
mining drill and diamond drill, the machines break every time, and i have to make a new one.

playing FTB monster pack btw

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
The machines not dropping anything if broken with an MPS power fist or drill is intentional.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I've tried with stone, iron, HSLA, Diamond pickaxes even Diamond with silktouch.
mining drill and diamond drill, the machines break every time, and i have to make a new one.

playing FTB monster pack btw
I use a tinkers construct pickaxe, that works in the Monster 1.0.9 version of RC at least.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Because unless I'm missing something, by the time I can make and power them, I don't need them. Cobble is cheap; a furnace wall is cheap; coal/charcoal/fuel saplings are cheap. Lava smeltery as a mid to late automation furnace, yes; as early game?
If you consider lava "Late game", I think that says volumes both about why you seem to think a lot of RC stuff is overpowered and why your play style is so different.

The machines not dropping anything if broken with an MPS power fist or drill is intentional.
Drill. yes, but the fist is more about a bug in MPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
after reading quite alot of threads about RC. im ending up here..
with 1 simple question..

You have to use a pickaxe. Do not use a IC2 drill, mining laser, or Tinkers Construct hammer, or they WILL break permanently. This is intentional.