How to start RotaryCraft?

RoyalCreeper12

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any suggestions or tips to start and begin RotaryCraft? It looks very interesting, but I haven't done too much with the mod. I know the basics of RC and I know to make a blast furnace, but I'm sorta puzzled about how do you proceed from there. For example, what engine is best for early game? What is a useful machine to use? etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone have any suggestions or tips to start and begin RotaryCraft? It looks very interesting, but I haven't done too much with the mod. I know the basics of RC and I know to make a blast furnace, but I'm sorta puzzled about how do you proceed from there. For example, what engine is best for early game? What is a useful machine to use? etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I recomend to start producing lubricant. You're going to need it later, and a nice bit of it too.

Else, just start working towards bedrock equipment. Bedrock shafts are fantstic as they have no durability therefore need no lubricant. Of course, you need lubricant to get them.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Step 1 is make a grinder and power it. You have a few options here, depending on what you prefer:

A Gasoline engine can power it perfectly, and is the cheapest route to take metal-wise, even if you include the required fermenter and DC engine. This does, however, have the disadvantage of requiring you create and input fuel every once in awhile, requiring a decently large sugar cane farm. (You could also use leaves, which are more efficient, but of course those require shears. HSLA steel shears are best if you want to go that route.)

Alternatively, you can also use 3 shaft junctions to combine the outputs of 4 steam engines, which will provide the same amount of power as a gasoline engine but is more expensive and requires more set-up. This requires a pump on top of a 3x3 of water and powered by a DC engine, some liquid pipes, and either burning netherrack or a lava source block and a cooling fin per steam engine. This option has the advantage of being completely free and infinite power, so all you have to do is leave everything running, plop in whatever you need ground and it will get ground as long as the chunk is loaded.
This route also has the disadvantage of being very loud...

Once you've made this, then step 2 is to make and power an extractor, which isn't easy...

EDIT: I forgot to mention, placing ores in a grinder allows you to triple your ore yield, which is why it's step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

Sgat8516

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I always jumped into Rotary after getting a good resource system in place. I typically just start off with 4 Pneumatic/Magneto static engines (spelling? lol) and use 3 shaft junctions to power my first bedrock breaker. Then spend those first few dusts on bedrock gears for 4:1's and build many more breakers. This setup will not require lubricant initially, and can help simplify the initial progression.
This method works very well late game as well since the Pneumatic/Magneto can put out 2Mw~ of power? (I'm currently running a fusion reactor solely off Pneumatics, several and turned up quite high lol).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yea, I always jumped into Rotary after getting a good resource system in place. I typically just start off with 4 Pneumatic/Magneto static engines (spelling? lol) and use 3 shaft junctions to power my first bedrock breaker. Then spend those first few dusts on bedrock gears for 4:1's and build many more breakers. This setup will not require lubricant initially, and can help simplify the initial progression.
This method works very well late game as well since the Pneumatic/Magneto can put out 2Mw~ of power? (I'm currently running a fusion reactor solely off Pneumatics, several and turned up quite high lol).
This thread and others like it show a worrying trend - the first machine people often try to run is either the bedrock breaker, the extractor, or the gas turbine. All three of these are further into the techtree than the combustion engine is into BC or the tesseract is into TE3.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
This thread and others like it show a worrying trend - the first machine people often try to run is either the bedrock breaker, the extractor, or the gas turbine. All three of these are further into the techtree than the combustion engine is into BC or the tesseract is into TE3.

I think the only way to stop said trend would be to go the route of thaumcraft and artificially gate advancement, but that opens a whole new can of worms.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
that's because you made the conversion engines accessible early on :p

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I started by creating a grinder that I powered with a magnetostatic engine (runs on RF) to get lubricant. Then I created a hydrokinetic engine and a bedrock breaker. You don't need (or didn't need at least) any gear boxes with them, only shafts and bevel gears. If the waterfall is 64 blocks high, you can use a 1:2 gear box to gain some speed, but it's not required. Once you have some bedrock dust, you can create indestructible gearboxes that doesn't require lubricant.

I think most people go for the bedrock breaker as soon as possible, to get the bedrock sword. While it's not ranged (obviously) and has a bit less damage than the powersuit railgun for instance unless you crit, the Sharpness V + Looting V without any durability is very valuable.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
that's because you made the conversion engines accessible early on :p
Time for scaled nerfing.

I started by creating a grinder that I powered with a magnetostatic engine (runs on RF) to get lubricant. Then I created a hydrokinetic engine and a bedrock breaker. You don't need (or didn't need at least) any gear boxes with them, only shafts and bevel gears. If the waterfall is 64 blocks high, you can use a 1:2 gear box to gain some speed, but it's not required. Once you have some bedrock dust, you can create indestructible gearboxes that doesn't require lubricant.

I think most people go for the bedrock breaker as soon as possible, to get the bedrock sword. While it's not ranged (obviously) and has a bit less damage than the powersuit railgun for instance unless you crit, the Sharpness V + Looting V without any durability is very valuable.
I will boost its power requirement.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Time for scaled nerfing.
THANK YOU!

One of the few things I hate about Rotarycraft is how easy it is to completely skip MASSIVE sections of the tech tree, because everything is so easily accessible and the current gate mechanisms (knowledge and power generation) are not very effective, especially after the first few playthroughs.

I will boost its power requirement.
That's a good start.

I also urge the addition of metal-working machines for HSLA steel, perhaps starting in the early-game with some kinda anvil-forge multiblock, then moving on to metal presses and lathes and other things once you have some power infrastructure?

Reactions: Tornado3019

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
THANK YOU!

One of the few things I hate about Rotarycraft is how easy it is to completely skip MASSIVE sections of the tech tree, because everything is so easily accessible and the current gate mechanisms (knowledge and power generation) are not very effective, especially after the first few playthroughs.

That's a good start.

I also urge the addition of metal-working machines for HSLA steel, perhaps starting in the early-game with some kinda anvil-forge multiblock, then moving on to metal presses and lathes and other things once you have some power infrastructure?
You are banging your head against a wall if you want to get Reika to do any multiblocks. Trust me.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
THANK YOU!

I will make it only emit 32kW at the lowest tier, and successively more powerful and expensive upgrades will allow it to be pushed to 16MW or so.

That's a good start.
2MW now.

That is the IC2 tedium route; I am not going to even go near that.

Reactions: Padfoote

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
The metal-working doesn't have to be slow... Actually, you could make it basically be a crafting table that checks if there is enough power input before you can take out items.
Might not realistic, but it provides an effective and interesting gate mechanism without the 'wait this amount of time for a metal plate'

And to discourage people from turning it off and on all the time, you could also add a warm-up time before it can craft anything.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The metal-working doesn't have to be slow... Actually, you could make it basically be a crafting table that checks if there is enough power input before you can take out items.
Might not realistic, but it provides an effective and interesting gate mechanism without the 'wait this amount of time for a metal plate'
But how would you get the power for it? All the engines need the worktable to be crafted. And making one not need the worktable, no matter how weak it is, would make the mod less realistic, which is against Reika's goal as far as I understand.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
But how would you get the power for it? All the engines need the worktable to be crafted. And making one not need the worktable, no matter how weak it is, would make the mod less realistic, which is against Reika's goal as far as I understand.
Well, ideally my suggestions would replace the worktable entirely.

Or, maybe you could make it so the worktable itself can accept power? And certain recipes are only accessable with specific amounts of power?
Actually, not sure if I like that one... unless you also added slots to place power tools.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds interesting...

The only problem is, what about the "Allow crafting table to craft RC machines" config? It means I could not rely on that as a techtree tool.

Remove the config option then. Or make a new powered worktable. (EDIT: Actually, that second one seems kinda pointless...)
Or, you could make it so only the machines that require power aren't craftable in the crafting table.