How to produce massive RF?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
What in the world do you need that much for? Not to mention that each network can, I believe, move a maximum of 2k per tick due to conduit restrictions.
Actually the restriction goes at 10k, from a single source, but the conduit can transfer much more than that. I tested with 3 resonant energy cells sending or receiving at 10k rate. 3 input cells connected to 1 line, which then connected to 3 output cells, and all of them were ticking at 10k.

I did same test again, cut the middle line and replaced it with 2 tesseracts. At first only 1 of the output energy cells were draining, meaning that using 1 face of tesseract has a 10k cap. Then i connected the same conduit chain to 2 other faces of tesseract aswell, but only on the input side, and all energy cells were now ticking at 10k again. So also tesseract in receive mode can take in more than 10k RF/t into a single conduit from 1 face. What the real limit is, i don't even know. (That is already more than i'd ever produce... 30k RF with 80 RF dynamos is alot.)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The 167k RF/t is approx. correct. But you would need around 4000 dynamos to convert it........:eek:
Thanks KiwiUSA. For some reason I thought I originally read 46k RF/T, not 46 RF/T. Significant difference.

So theoretically a ReactorCraft reactor generators tons and tons of RF/T...if you can be bothered to convert it to RF. Even at the ideal maximum of 11924rf/t that's pretty annoying :p
(167k / 12k == 14 dynamos or some such). Maybe ElectriCraft will provide a superior alternative :)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks KiwiUSA. For some reason I thought I originally read 46k RF/T, not 46 RF/T. Significant difference.

So theoretically a ReactorCraft reactor generators tons and tons of RF/T...if you can be bothered to convert it to RF. Even at the ideal maximum of 11924rf/t that's pretty annoying :p
(167k / 12k == 14 dynamos or some such). Maybe ElectriCraft will provide a superior alternative :)
*Cough* EnderIO *Cough*

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
EnderIO adds conduits that transfer 20.5k per tick for a connection.
I'm not sure which of us is confused; we're discussing converting power rather than transferring it. In this case, we're still stuck using a bunch of dynamos to get 160k RF/T out of a RotaryCraft fission reactor.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure which of us is confused; we're discussing converting power rather than transferring it. In this case, we're still stuck using a bunch of dynamos to get 160k RF/T out of a RotaryCraft fission reactor.
Ah, I thought your issue was transferring it and storing it. EnderIO has remarkably high tier stuff.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So here's my test world version of the ReactorCraft output to "Massive RF".

First, overall view. Right: 3x3 fission reactor. Center: turbine. Left: Converting to RF
2014-03-29_22.21.27.png

Close-up of the reactor. I have no idea if this simple design is good or what. I strongly suspect I'm generating a bit more steam than my turbine can use.
2014-03-29_22.22.12.png

Close-up of the turbine showing approx. 930MW power generation. 930 or so seems to be its average.
2014-03-29_22.22.30.png

Here's where the magic happens.

First, a CVT gears up the torque (*8), simply to get our speed down to under 8192 rad/s (maximum for the Rotational Dynamo)

Next, a shaft power bus controller (taking in the lubricant) is connected to 8 shaft power buses. Each power bus has 2 Rotational Dynamos connected to it. Each connection to a shaft power bus gets an equal share of our total approximate 115,000 nm of torque, meaning we're now sending less than 8192 both speed and torque to each dynamo.

2014-03-29_22.23.00.png

For lack of any better option I could find, I tried out these Capacitor banks to hold our output. It really took a huge number of them in order to get all our RF/T. Recall that we're allowed the displayed MJ/T * 10 in RF.
It fills up really damn fast.

2014-03-29_22.41.01.png

So for a rough estimate of our total output, assuming I'm managing to house it all, we're producing approximately 9500RF/T at each dynamo for a total of 152,000 RF/T.

Edited: a bunch of times to fix screenshots.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Note that the Dynamos don't show up as "lit up and producing" in every screenshot. There's some glitchiness with some ReactorCraft and RotaryCraft blocks. In particular the turbine periodically flickers to 0 MW output. The impact on our output is negligible but its annoying.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Note that the Dynamos don't show up as "lit up and producing" in every screenshot. There's some glitchiness with some ReactorCraft and RotaryCraft blocks. In particular the turbine periodically flickers to 0 MW output. The impact on our output is negligible but its annoying.
Judging from the I/O boxes going wild, you still have a steam block update issue. I like the setup though, and find great amusement in how many dynamos and conduit connections to the capacitor you need.

Reactions: Pyure and Dorque

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Judging from the I/O boxes going wild, you still have a steam block update issue. I like the setup though, and find great amusement in how many dynamos and conduit connections to the capacitor you need.
Not sure why the block update issue. I'll try adding more condensors.

I suspect the conduit connections are overkill. I think each is good for 10k rt/t, so I only really need 16 or so...I believe EnderIO has native conduits that do much better.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Massive improvement.

Before I was being "clever" by funneling the steam up a triangular roof to a single line of condensers. I've flattened the roof and replaced it all with condensers and I no longer see (edit: remotely as much) flickering.

2014-03-30_05.21.12.png

I'm pretty happy with the performance here now. I will likely incorporate this into my real world.

BTW would ElectriCraft be friendlier for this, in terms of energy conversion and/or storage?

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
How you set your Shaft Power Bus? I tried something like yours on a creative world and only the first one is getting power.

Edit: Found the issue, it seems i have to place one, set the 3 connections up, then place the next and set that one, and so on.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
have you tried the ender IO conduits, they move 20000 or so RF/t
Smart, but the issue is getting from RotaryCraft "stuff" to RF, and that's not easy without some solutions.
*snip*
BTW would ElectriCraft be friendlier for this, in terms of energy conversion and/or storage?
Eh, yes and no. It's no better for conversion as it doesn't allow for conversion between anything but it's power and RotaryCraft's Power, but for storage? Oh hell yes.
Technically better for conversion in of that it outputs all power from it's Battery Boxes at a set rate(that improves for each tier), though we'd have to get @Reika to explain to us how much each tier stores/outputs. Even so, very useful.
...Also Reika, since I've called you, I'm checking the Fluid Crystalizer recipe for Ender Pearls, but I'm unsure if it'll work on Resonate Ender or just the stuff that gets disabled when one has TE3 and Ender Forest.

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Smart, but the issue is getting from RotaryCraft "stuff" to RF, and that's not easy without some solutions.

Eh, yes and no. It's no better for conversion as it doesn't allow for conversion between anything but it's power and RotaryCraft's Power, but for storage? Oh hell yes.
Technically better for conversion in of that it outputs all power from it's Battery Boxes at a set rate(that improves for each tier), though we'd have to get @Reika to explain to us how much each tier stores/outputs. Even so, very useful.
...Also Reika, since I've called you, I'm checking the Fluid Crystalizer recipe for Ender Pearls, but I'm unsure if it'll work on Resonate Ender or just the stuff that gets disabled when one has TE3 and Ender Forest.
It works on resonant ender.

As for batteries:
REDSTONE( 2^20, 256, 32),
GLOWSTONE( 2^24, 512, 64),
LAPIS( 2^28, 2048, 128),
ENDER( 2^33, 4096, 256),
DIAMOND( 2^40, 16384, 1024),
STAR( 2^48, 65536, 4096);

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It works on resonant ender.

As for batteries:
REDSTONE( 2^20, 256, 32),
GLOWSTONE( 2^24, 512, 64),
LAPIS( 2^28, 2048, 128),
ENDER( 2^33, 4096, 256),
DIAMOND( 2^40, 16384, 1024),
STAR( 2^48, 65536, 4096);

The batteries are interesting; I've been playing with them and so far, they're like a safe but relatively expensive industrial coil.
In my early game, I was able to put together a Lapis one, which cost 16 don't-quote-me-amount-of diamonds. It only holds around 268MJ unfortunately. I haven't decided the best way to leverage this capability yet.

I'd need a diamond or star version to accomplish anything of note, but they're far out of my league.

For more interesting/aesthetic builds, it would be nice if we could rotate the batteries (at least I don't think we currently can).