How to produce massive RF?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The batteries are interesting; I've been playing with them and so far, they're like a safe but relatively expensive industrial coil.
In my early game, I was able to put together a Lapis one, which cost 16 don't-quote-me-amount-of diamonds. It only holds around 268MJ unfortunately. I haven't decided the best way to leverage this capability yet.

I'd need a diamond or star version to accomplish anything of note, but they're far out of my league.

For more interesting/aesthetic builds, it would be nice if we could rotate the batteries (at least I don't think we currently can).
You cannot, nor do I plan to implement this due to technical complications.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If you're playing Monster, you could try compact windmills. However, 50k RF/t is going to take some serious resources (iron).

I'm currently at a bit over 16 k RF/t with two EV mills. Those two were about 24k iron in total (and a bit of tin and rubber). Good news is that with iridium rotors, they are 100% maintenance free and doesn't require any fuel.

Running one or more max size QuarryPlus is a good way to get the iron, in combination with mass fabricator for iron ore.

The problem with this (aside from the stonking amount of iron needed) is it produces EU, rather than RF. So you need to convert it and there seems to be something very dodgy about the version of PowerConverters in Monster. Mine keeps just randomly deciding to stop converting until I relog.[DOUBLEPOST=1397510259][/DOUBLEPOST]
Blazing Pyrotheum in a Magmatic Dynamo produces 2,000,000 RF.

Interesting.

I could change over from lava to pyrotheum then...

Just need to keep running coal and netherrack through pulverizers to make sulfur dust, and an extra magma crucible to make blaze powder of of glowstone and redstone.

I *think* I could probably make it work fast enough to keep up with demand, maybe not from all 20+ of my current stack of dynamos but certainly from a few...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with this (aside from the stonking amount of iron needed) is it produces EU, rather than RF. So you need to convert it and there seems to be something very dodgy about the version of PowerConverters in Monster. Mine keeps just randomly deciding to stop converting until I relog.[DOUBLEPOST=1397510259][/DOUBLEPOST]

Interesting.

Just need to keep running coal and netherrack through pulverizers to make sulfur dust, and an extra magma crucible to make blaze powder of of glowstone and redstone.

I *think* I could probably make it work fast enough to keep up with demand, maybe not from all 20+ of my current stack of dynamos but certainly from a few...
Add some Bees and you can cut out the need for any of those; there is a type of bee that produces blazing pyrotheum as a specialty product, not to mention any of the needed resources from other bees.

Reactions: Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Add some Bees and you can cut out the need for any of those; there is a type of bee that produces blazing pyrotheum as a specialty product, not to mention any of the needed resources from other bees.

Oooooh. I hadn't checked out any of the bee types added for 1.6.4 packs. Good shout!

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
In a test world i used magic crops and a tome of alkihiest to make a Nether star Factory that produce at least one a second. So, yeah. that's a lot of Extra Utilitiy nether star power.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
The problem with this (aside from the stonking amount of iron needed) is it produces EU, rather than RF. So you need to convert it and there seems to be something very dodgy about the version of PowerConverters in Monster. Mine keeps just randomly deciding to stop converting until I relog.
Make sure the converter setup (at both locations if you're using a tesseract) isn't spanning a chunk boundary. After I fixed that it's been running like clockwork.

Reactions: Pyure

RoyalCreeper12

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting.

If you want to use blazing pyrotheum in your magmatic dynamos, my suggestion would be to set up a blaze farm (MFR Auto-Spawner is a good way to spawn blazes) so you can get blaze powder and sulfur, both required to make pyrotheum dust. Run the blaze rods through a pulverizer and you get 4 blaze powder and a 50% chance of getting sulfur. Basically you can get unlimited blaze powder and sulfur so no more pulverizing coal and netherrack to get sulfur! Make coal dust from coal (macerate or pulverize) which you can get from uu matter or bees, and the same goes for redstone. I would recommend a cyclic assembler to craft the pyrotheum dust, then melt it in a magma crucible, and you got blazing pyrotheum! Sorry if this was too long or nerdy, but hope this helps!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to use blazing pyrotheum in your magmatic dynamos, my suggestion would be to set up a blaze farm (MFR Auto-Spawner is a good way to spawn blazes) so you can get blaze powder and sulfur, both required to make pyrotheum dust. Run the blaze rods through a pulverizer and you get 4 blaze powder and a 50% chance of getting sulfur. Basically you can get unlimited blaze powder and sulfur so no more pulverizing coal and netherrack to get sulfur! Make coal dust from coal (macerate or pulverize) which you can get from uu matter or bees, and the same goes for redstone. I would recommend a cyclic assembler to craft the pyrotheum dust, then melt it in a magma crucible, and you got blazing pyrotheum! Sorry if this was too long or nerdy, but hope this helps!
Or...
Like I said, a few bees will suffice.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
you could try magic crops, i have blaze, coal and redstone crops specifically to make pyrotheum. blaze rods have 45% chance to drop a sulfur when pulverized, and pulverizing coal gives you another 10% chance for a sulfur drop.

i have a big reactor setup that produces 50k rf/t (normal multiplier, not modified ;) ), and the fuel production is fully automated via magic crops. even the cyanite is recycle and fed back into the reactor. theres quite a bit of project red (mostly rs latches and timing) used to automate the power cycling of the reactor and the timing of the magic crop harvesting.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I had what I considered the ultimate setup on an SMP server that got reset about a month ago. I had just gotten there too. Oh well, takes about a week or two of steady play (not 1 hr a day tho).

I had bees making oil, refined to fuel, in a compression dynamo using gelid cryotheum as the coolant. Fuel has the longest lifespan of any bucket, 1.5 million RF with gelid I think? I had 125 dynamos in a compact 11x5x6 rectangle (piping extended outside slightly) outputting to a resonant energy cell. 125*80 RF/t = 10,000 RF which is the max capacity of the redstone energy conduit, so that last section before the resonant energy cell buffer never got overloaded. All my base power came off that resonant energy cell, 10,000 RF/t output which was more than enough, I also had more energy cells online as battery backup/buffer in case anything ever happened. Gelid cryotheum was fully automated, (cobble gen-pulv to sand-cyclic assmbler to sandstone-pulv for niter), except that my blizz rods had to come from an MFR auto-spawner setup which was my pride and joy build, any item dropped from a mob gave me infinte quantities at the flip of a switch, the correct safari net would automatically go into the spawner. Witches for redstone, blazes for blaze rods, carmanite golems for insane iron and wood planks. Large cursed earth mob grinder area sent enough mob essence into a steel tank to keep it running nonstop if needed... it was perfect. Then the server reset. LOL And so it goes...

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Blazing Pyrotheum in a Magmatic Dynamo produces 2,000,000 RF.

I guess I did see this, but I think I was stubborn and wanted to use my oil bees and blizz rods. :)

it's a complaint of mine, because the average gameplay progression is (of course) steam to lava to advanced fuels. but in TE3, we have the second tier out of the four tiers of dynamos having the best producing fuel. Why? That makes no sense from a gameplay perspective. Not to make too much of it, but in a sense it ruins the gameplay for TE3, because why go past magmatics if they have the best fuel, requires no secondary input product, and blazing pyrotheum isn't all that difficult if you have a blaze grinder (which after seeing Etho's great video a few years ago, I've never had any problem with)? The fuels should absolutely advance with the tier of dynamo and they really need to correct this oversight (IMO obv).

The obvious way to change this (to me) is to make the higher tier of dynamos output more RF per tick... I really don't understand the whole thinking behind the dynamo/fuel relationships they set up in TE3.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~The obvious way to change this (to me) is to make the higher tier of dynamos output more RF per tick... I really don't understand the whole thinking behind the dynamo/fuel relationships they set up in TE3.
It's actually pretty simple; better fuels produce more RF, all dynamos output a max of 80 RF/t, so better fuels last longer rather then output more power.
Not that much different then real life. I mean, in real life power is generated pretty much exactly as it is in RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, and ElectriCraft(AFIAK anyway), with almost every power source just being used to spin turbines to generate shaft power, which is then turned into electricty and sent god-knows where.
Personally I wouldn't use bees because they only have a 9% chance of producing a single pyrotheum dust. In my opinion, it's not very worth it.
That's per bee tick, mate. It adds up, trust me. I mean, is free power using bees not worth it to you?

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
In a test world i used magic crops and a tome of alkihiest to make a Nether star Factory that produce at least one a second. So, yeah. that's a lot of Extra Utilitiy nether star power.
Did you manage to automate that? :3