How to make vanilla tools useless?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
I want my mod to have the feature that most other modpacks have, where vanilla tools like stone picks and swords can't be used for anything but crafting, but T construct tools work. Any help on how to do that?

In case you dont know what I mean, I am talking about how vanilla swords would say "this weapon hits like a wet noodle".

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you LonexWolf!

I have another question while I'm at it. Some mod in my modpack is apparently causing food to rot after 7 days, which is a feature I definitely do not want. I checked Hunger Overhaul and Enviromine, both do not have a config file related to this. What mod is causing this?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need Iguana's Tinker Tweaks to make vanilla tools useless. In fact it doesn't do it anyway, vanilla TiC has these in the config to do it:

Code:
  B:"Remove Vanilla Tool Effectiveness"=false
  B:"Remove Vanilla Tool Recipes"=false

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
I need a little help. I want to add a mod called damage indicators, but every single website I find with download links all use dropbox (first mistake), and they all say this:
Error (429)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Any idea how I can get this mod, or get a mod that is similar to this?

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
I need a little help. I want to add a mod called damage indicators, but every single website I find with download links all use dropbox (first mistake), and they all say this:
Error (429)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Any idea how I can get this mod, or get a mod that is similar to this?
You apparently need help navigating the forums, too!

Download a modpack that includes it (or chances are you already have one downloaded) and grab the .jar file from that pack's mods folder.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need Iguana's Tinker Tweaks to make vanilla tools useless. In fact it doesn't do it anyway, vanilla TiC has these in the config to do it:

Code:
  B:"Remove Vanilla Tool Effectiveness"=false
  B:"Remove Vanilla Tool Recipes"=false
There's a bit of a difference between the base TiC way and the IgTweaks way. TiC just sets the durability of the tools to 1, so they retain everything else they do, but only have 1 durability to do it with, whereas Iguana removes their ability to do their job, and actually lets you know it has done so with the tooltip. Iguana also lets you specifiy exactly what tools from vanilla and mods should be affected, while base TiC just does all of the tools from vanilla as a lump sum.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking at the config for Iguana in Agrarian Skies but it doesn't have those options. I guess it's not in 1.6.4, my bad.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Do you really need to actually make vanilla tools useless with TiC installed? If there is anything that annoys me about that mod its just how useless regular tools are in the face of TiCs trivial upgrade and repair mechanics. Throwing in Iguana's Tweaks just adds insult to injury as now you don't even need to learn how to upgrade the tools manually.

Reactions: Padfoote

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
Iguana Tweaks is just a different way of playing. It makes sense to me that as you use a tool, you get better at using it. After having played w/ and w/o Iguana Tweaks, I like both ways of playing but it would be nice, and maybe it's possible, to force Iguana Tweaks to 'not' assign random modifiers and simply expose the modifier slots as you improve so you can control the customization. It kind of pisses me off when my sword goes fiery and I can no longer use it on Endermen.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Iguana Tweaks is just a different way of playing. It makes sense to me that as you use a tool, you get better at using it. After having played w/ and w/o Iguana Tweaks, I like both ways of playing but it would be nice, and maybe it's possible, to force Iguana Tweaks to 'not' assign random modifiers and simply expose the modifier slots as you improve so you can control the customization. It kind of pisses me off when my sword goes fiery and I can no longer use it on Endermen.
... Everything people have mentioned wanting is possible, it just takes a little digging through the config files...

Please don't complain about how much better TiCon tools are than vanilla, and how it ruins tools in general. If you don't like it, don't play it, or just disable it. If you're playing a modpack where IgTweaks/TiCon is an inherent part of progression, then your issue is clearly with the pack maker's choices and not the mod itself.

People don't complain that MFR obseletizes vanilla farming stuff because it's faster/easier. What's the difference here? Vanilla mechanics that many would claim are annoying are being effectively removed in favor of something those people find more interesting.

Reactions: Hambeau

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

It gets worse when you're mining and the ore that can yield 2 ingots + occasional side products suddenly auto-smelts into a single ingot, or the coal you're digging up starts giving you graphite (if you have Big Reactors) :D

Reactions: skruis

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I would get it if the tool was somehow only good for you but anyone can use the same tool without having to level it themselves.

The random modifiers you get are actually extra so essentially Iguana makes the tools better than you would be able to get in vanilla TiC in the end so I wouldn't complain too much if I got something I didn't really want except getting luck multiple times which is kind of a complete waste.

Emblin

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think it's best to disable vanilla tools in favor of TiCon but I will admit that iguana's TiCon has pissed me off a few times

Like, I was on a skyblock map to test the modpacks survival mode. I was mining cobble then my only pickaxe turns into autosmelt, and the hqm challenges no longer could be completed because they needed cobble and not stone.

And how there are no bone or wood pickaxe heads, which again screwed up my skyblock like twice xD

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I would get it if the tool was somehow only good for you but anyone can use the same tool without having to level it themselves.

The random modifiers you get are actually extra so essentially Iguana makes the tools better than you would be able to get in vanilla TiC in the end so I wouldn't complain too much if I got something I didn't really want except getting luck multiple times which is kind of a complete waste.

Well, that's either something the author didn't think of or something they weren't all that concerned about. I would guess that most players build things for themselves or give away less valuable picks to other players who are starting out. I wouldn't hand over my prized pick for someone else to use. It's mine! I can't remember fully but I think Iguana tools are split between experience and boosting? It would make sense that the experience related modifiers are per player for a given tool. I'd like to see that added.

Oh yes, I 'will' complain :) I noticed the extra modifiers but you can't blame me for thinking that some of the random extra bonuses on the tool I've spent hours building can be detrimental to what I'm actually planning on doing with the tool. Example: I specifically crafted a 'cleaver' because it's supposed to be better at removing heads (yes, there are other ways but I wanted to try 'this' way). I started using it on Endermen and it went fiery. Now that sword is useless for removing Endermen heads. Can I work around it? Yes, of course but it still seems like an oversight that a tool whose stated special ability is head removal now can't remove the heads of a specific mob.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's either something the author didn't think of or something they weren't all that concerned about. I would guess that most players build things for themselves or give away less valuable picks to other players who are starting out. I wouldn't hand over my prized pick for someone else to use. It's mine! I can't remember fully but I think Iguana tools are split between experience and boosting? It would make sense that the experience related modifiers are per player for a given tool. I'd like to see that added.

Oh yes, I 'will' complain :) I noticed the extra modifiers but you can't blame me for thinking that some of the random extra bonuses on the tool I've spent hours building can be detrimental to what I'm actually planning on doing with the tool. Example: I specifically crafted a 'cleaver' because it's supposed to be better at removing heads (yes, there are other ways but I wanted to try 'this' way). I started using it on Endermen and it went fiery. Now that sword is useless for removing Endermen heads. Can I work around it? Yes, of course but it still seems like an oversight that a tool whose stated special ability is head removal now can't remove the heads of a specific mob.

Random bonuses are tied to leveling. You can't make leveling and getting modifiers separate because that's all the leveling is for. And you would give a tool for an Autonomous Activator to use. You can also level tools with one.

Since the mod also adds replaceable parts what I've been doing is make a tool or weapon from cheap materials first and only replace parts when I'm happy with the modifiers it got. That way you can't waste any valuable cobalt or ardite (the better materials added by Extra TiC are not hard to get however which makes them too good).

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
Random bonuses are tied to leveling. You can't make leveling and getting modifiers separate because that's all the leveling is for. And you would give a tool for an Autonomous Activator to use. You can also level tools with one.

Since the mod also adds replaceable parts what I've been doing is make a tool or weapon from cheap materials first and only replace parts when I'm happy with the modifiers it got. That way you can't waste any valuable cobalt or ardite (the better materials added by Extra TiC are not hard to get however which makes them too good).

Ok, so I took a 2nd look. It's split between mining level and skill level. So mining level is the result of mining and boosting and the skill level is where the random modifiers come from? Or are random modifiers given for both?

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I took a 2nd look. It's split between mining level and skill level. So mining level is the result of mining and boosting and the skill level is where the random modifiers come from? Or are random modifiers given for both?
You get both mining level and random modifiers from the same xp level system. You get 1 xp point for each block mined. If you have the mining level thing active I think you get it the first level up every time or something. Skill level refers to the other modifiers and you can take out the regular 3 free modifiers from the system to have them like vanilla TiC where you get them straight away. It also lets you disable the random modifiers to only have the mining level boost from leveling. Or you can keep them all and change it to only give random modifiers when it doesn't give the free modifier.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

In my experience the Mining level can only go one level beyond the actual material used.

I usually start with a flint pick for example... When it hits "Copper" mining level I then mine all the copper and aluminum I can find and start looking for tin gravel or ingots from chests so I can make Bronze in my "borrowed" smelter (If I've found a village). Then I upgrade the pick so I can get better materials :D