How do YOU Auto-spawn Withers?

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
If you've got mystcraft, the portals are even better!
Sadly, I elected to disinclude Mystcraft from my pack due to balance issues, but the Enhanced Portals mod has some similar functionality. What did you have in mind?

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, I elected to disinclude Mystcraft from my pack due to balance issues, but the Enhanced Portals mod has some similar functionality. What did you have in mind?
Spawning the wither into a portal that leads into a blast proof room is a lot faster than letting it fall if you can.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The advantage that Mystcraft portals have over any other portal-type system that I know of is that they don't need anything at all on the other side. If you have a Mystcraft portal that leads to a sealed box made of reinforced obsidian or septuple compressed cobble, there's nothing inside the sealed box to be blown up.

Also, it should be possible to automate killing withers with only RFTools. That mod's shields are witherproof and can be configured to contain and damage hostile mobs, while letting items and players pass through unharmed. I'm not sure if RFTools adds a way to summon withers through a shield, but you should be able to come up with something using another mod easily enough.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Spawning the wither into a portal that leads into a blast proof room is a lot faster than letting it fall if you can.
Oh, I see! Yeah, that wouldn't work with Enhanced Portals, because they only send entities from one portal to another, as opposed to Mystcraft, which sends them from a portal to a particular co-ordinate. The target portal would go kablooie. XD

I think I'm going to try having it drift down into a septuple-compressed cobblestone bunker, then use Drawbridges to close the top. Then ... can MFR grinders get at mobs through solid blocks? Or maybe I can have another set of drawbridges retract one of the walls and have a bunch of mining lasers shoot it.... Oh, the dispensers would probably get blown up. Can lasers shoot through reinforced glass? Can withers? Dang, I need to experiment. Too bad I only have my laptop at the moment; it can't run any MC version past 1.2.5 because the integrated graphics card is too old.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
The advantage that Mystcraft portals have over any other portal-type system that I know of is that they don't need anything at all on the other side. If you have a Mystcraft portal that leads to a sealed box made of reinforced obsidian or septuple compressed cobble, there's nothing inside the sealed box to be blown up.

Also, it should be possible to automate killing withers with only RFTools. That mod's shields are witherproof and can be configured to contain and damage hostile mobs, while letting items and players pass through unharmed. I'm not sure if RFTools adds a way to summon withers through a shield, but you should be able to come up with something using another mod easily enough.
I have not heard of RFTools. *runs to Youtube*

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I see! Yeah, that wouldn't work with Enhanced Portals, because they only send entities from one portal to another, as opposed to Mystcraft, which sends them from a portal to a particular co-ordinate. The target portal would go kablooie. XD

I think I'm going to try having it drift down into a septuple-compressed cobblestone bunker, then use Drawbridges to close the top. Then ... can MFR grinders get at mobs through solid blocks? Or maybe I can have another set of drawbridges retract one of the walls and have a bunch of mining lasers shoot it.... Oh, the dispensers would probably get blown up. Can lasers shoot through reinforced glass? Can withers? Dang, I need to experiment. Too bad I only have my laptop at the moment; it can't run any MC version past 1.2.5 because the integrated graphics card is too old.
Oh boy... Where to start? XD
Firstly, yes, MFR grinders work through blocks, but no, they will not grind withers. Mining lasers cannot shoot through reinforced glass, and anything that does not specifically say it is wither proof is not, as withers will actually lower the blast resistance of a block. Hope that helps :p

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The RFTools shield is indeed wither proof. The spawner from rftools can also spawn withers but I haven't tried it yet. So I'm not certain if the spawned withers actually explode. I will have to try it out. If they don't you can easily combine an rftools spawner with shield. The reason I'm not certain is that a rftools dimension with wither spawning also doesn't have the withers explode. They just spawn.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I think we have different priorities...

I don't care if it takes thirty seconds versus sixteen seconds. Once you have wither on farm you have more nether stars than you can possibly ever use, and it is passively building up continuously while you are doing other things. I have to tell it to turn off when I hit over 200, and I end up voiding most of the unactivated sigils anyway.

The key here is passive acquisition. It doesn't matter if I have half as many as you do at the end of the day. Half of 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use' is still 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use'.

Hell, just idle nearby while you take care of something RL, come back to dozens of them.

Also, I don't have *A* bellthorn, I have SEVERAL bellthorns. Makes things go by much faster.

rather than voiding sigils you could also craft them into iron ingots nowadays. just put them in a crafting grid and it'll give you a random number of iron
sure, if you're at a point of autospawning withers you no longer really care about iron, but personally I'd still craft them into iron rather than voiding them

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
rather than voiding sigils you could also craft them into iron ingots nowadays. just put them in a crafting grid and it'll give you a random number of iron
sure, if you're at a point of autospawning withers you no longer really care about iron, but personally I'd still craft them into iron rather than voiding them
You can craft unwanted sigils into iron? Hot damn! I always get annoyed when what I consider a powerful item becomes overabundant, but at least you can get something useful from them!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You can craft unwanted sigils into iron? Hot damn! I always get annoyed when what I consider a powerful item becomes overabundant, but at least you can get something useful from them!

yup, I believe this was added in the 1.7.10 version, but do note it gives a random amount of iron each time.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Be aware that crafters will bug out and not craft them, you'll want the TE cyclic assemblers (or any other crafting you have)

Last edited:

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
Be aware that crafters will bug out and not craft them, you'll want the TE cyclic assemblers (or any other crafting you have)
Oh, they do? Which ones? I was going to use the Crafting Table Mk II from Tubestuff. But come to think of it, I've never used a Cyclic Assembler before! I'll have to try that.

EricBuist

How about 1.10? There is no OpenBlocks and no ComputerCraft. There is OpenComputers, but I'm not sure there are turtles in there and I would have to learn the mod's crafting components, Lua, the API, etc., just to make something place the soul sand then the heads. I tried with mechanical users, but they cannot be configured to place the heads only if there is a block below. Seems there is no way out other than redstone-based timing, and I am very bad at this. It never works for me. I see no obvious way of having two signals trigger one after the other. Would certainly be possible with ComputerCraft or OpenComputers, but I don't want to spend the rest of my holidays learning Lua and the API or trying to copy/paste cryptic code from web pages.
There was a mod, Woots, that may offer a way to not only spawn the Wither but just get the Nether stars from RF, but the mod is just in some 1.10 packs.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Goodness, old thread. Still applicable though.

I believe my last 1.10 solution was Actually Additions remote block placers and an RFTools Tier 3 shield. Not nearly as quick as a Draconic Evolution teleporting/grinding setup but it got the job done.

Reactions: EricBuist

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
why not just look for blocks unbreakable by the wither and make a long tube of it going down?
Then you can just create the wither at the top with whatever method you like and kill him below without having to care about the explosion.

Killing method could probably be just some TNT, in 1.12 the slime block TNT duplication isn't patched so you don't even have to autocraft it. That only leaves making sure the wither doesn't try to go up the tube again, which you can probably do using pistons that close the tube.

As for picking the items up, worst case you can have a small hatch open up with pistons and something that attracts items behind it.

Note: I never build something like this, but if you have blocks that a wither can't destroy and which can be moved by pistons I see little reasons why a system like this would be impossible.

EricBuist

Goodness, old thread. Still applicable though.

I believe my last 1.10 solution was Actually Additions remote block placers and an RFTools Tier 3 shield. Not nearly as quick as a Draconic Evolution teleporting/grinding setup but it got the job done.

That's pretty much what I did. The problem is that the block placers can place the skulls before the soul sand, which prevents the Wither from spawning. Having some way to send a redstone signal on placers for soul sand first, then the skulls, then make sure no more soul sand or skulls get extracted from input chest and placed is very tricky. Videos skim through this, making it quickly and hard to follow. I figured something out with SuperCircuit Maker, but it was very frustrating.

I more and more think there should not be a need to automate Wither killing, or there should be a mod helping with that. Draconic Evolution is the only reason in a non-expert modpack to automate Wither, and the more and more I play with that mod, the more and more I find it insane. This is just painful repetitive crafting especially with 1.10.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
That's pretty much what I did. The problem is that the block placers can place the skulls before the soul sand, which prevents the Wither from spawning. Having some way to send a redstone signal on placers for soul sand first, then the skulls, then make sure no more soul sand or skulls get extracted from input chest and placed is very tricky. Videos skim through this, making it quickly and hard to follow. I figured something out with SuperCircuit Maker, but it was very frustrating.

I more and more think there should not be a need to automate Wither killing, or there should be a mod helping with that. Draconic Evolution is the only reason in a non-expert modpack to automate Wither, and the more and more I play with that mod, the more and more I find it insane. This is just painful repetitive crafting especially with 1.10.

RFTools has a mob spawner that can spawn withers and does not depend on block placing

Reactions: Daihok