Horizons should be removed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Irrelevant

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the idea behind a mod pack was that trusted source would compile a group of mods that worked and worked well together. I guess I was wrong.

I recently created a server with Horizons running thinking that since this pack had been out for a while and it was presented by FTB, it would work.

A week or so in, a few people hit level 20 in Ars Magica, triggering the spawn of Hecate Mobs.
They are broken. They will spawn and spawn and crowd out all other hostile mob spawns. My server might as well be on peaceful.

Here is a conversation with all the relevant data ending with the mod creator saying it was fixed in an update.

https://github.com/Mithion/ArsMagica2/issues/393

This "mod pack" should have been taken down or edited when this game breaking error was discovered.

EDIT: Thanks to the wonderful people of this board and of this community I was able to resolve my issue.
Mob Spawn Controls 2 + the command "/cofh killall" = Win

Last edited:

Irrelevant

Jul 29, 2019
Easily explain to me how to disable the spawning of Hecates.
Did you read that github thread?

If I remove Ars Magica, it will cause some major problems as everyone has crap made from that mod.

Why keep a mod pack up that is fundamentally broken? The removal of mob spawns makes it so I can never get spider eyes or skeleton skulls...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Easily explain to me how to disable the spawning of Hecates.
Did you read that github thread?

If I remove Ars Magica, it will cause some major problems as everyone has crap made from that mod.

Why keep a mod pack up that is fundamentally broken? The removal of mob spawns makes it so I can never get spider eyes or skeleton skulls...

Horizons was built to showcase mods that are new to FTB. The modpack team has no control over mod bugs. They're subject to what the authors do and don't fix. And no, I did not read the github, and did not need to, since someone comes here every other week with the same exact problem. You can either get a script to do an hourly purge of all hecate spawns via /cofh killall hecate, or use a mod that has the ability to disable them such as OpenBlocks.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Although, I will give the OP one thing. Horizons is one of the ONLY 1.6.4 packs that did not get one last update before it was frozen. And nobody on the FTB team mentioned anything about it being updated/lack thereof. It's like they forgot it existed. -.-
Even Monster got an update, and that pack is giant.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Irrelevant

Jul 29, 2019
trajing, You have no idea what you are talking about so I will ignore you.
Padfoote, Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I spent about 4 hours trying to stop the Hecates to no avail. I tried the OpenBlocks route and ended up with a server that would not start. I added the new OpenBlocks and its Lib dependency mod and no go. I assume I might have to update Forge or something else... and then things start to get crazy. I am just frustrated about the mod pack remaining up.

Can you tell me how to get that script to run on its own on a set interval?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Padfoote, Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I spent about 4 hours trying to stop the Hecates to no avail. I tried the OpenBlocks route and ended up with a server that would not start. I added the new OpenBlocks and its Lib dependency mod and no go. I assume I might have to update Forge or something else... and then things start to get crazy. I am just frustrated about the mod pack remaining up.

I haven't run a server in a while so can't help with the script, but I know there are others who have done something similar. Was there a crash log with OpenBlocks?

Irrelevant

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have the crash report handy. (I am at work <_<)
trajing,
a: Ping you? No thanks.
b: If you google this it's a known issue. I am not the only one. You aren't helping.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have the crash report handy. (I am at work <_<)
trajing,
a: Ping you? No thanks.
b: If you google this it's a known issue. I am not the only one. You aren't helping.
If you ping me, I respond to it faster. I get a lot of alerts sometimes, I go through pings and quotes before regular messages. And all you have to do is update Ars Magica. Is opening a folder called "mods" and dragging a file to it really that hard? I assume you don't wish to make the players update, but Horizons is frozen. As in no later official updates. You'll have to update stuff yourself if you want any sort of tech support that is not from support.feed-the-beast.com. You can't get a mod to fix a bug without updating it. Also, last time I checked, other people play this. You want to screw others over for a reason that amounts to "I feel that this pack is crap, so I'm going to try and get it removed because logic."

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
your-tears-are-delicious.jpg

Seriously though, if you want help, ping someone. I had 583 alerts when I work up this morning (don't ask) and I opened up quotes and pings before anything else. And plus, when someone asks you to contact them in a certain way, you should do it.

And as a note, putting a link to thier page does not ping them. It only works if you go like @Irrelevant . Speaking of which, this thread is @Irrelevant .

top kek

Edit: As a note, if you want to use BBcode, you can go like:
Code:
[USER=60807]texthere[/USER]
That will also ping the person.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
The issue with updating it to fix the problem is that the fix is in 1.2, which was the big update that changed a lot of Ars Magica stuff. So OP either has to try one of the workarounds suggested above, or consult his server members as to whether they should remove/update Ars Magica from the server, with the knowledge that they either lose all their stuff or they lose some of their stuff as a result.

And also OP, I appreciate you're frustrated with the issue, but try not to be rude towards people. Yes lots of people have reported this issue with Ars Magica, but you are the only one calling for the removal of an entire frozen modpack. I have the same issue on my Magic World 2 game and I get annoyed with it. I'm only playing sp and so I just use cofh killall every so often to clear them out. As a server I can imagine that dealing with this issue is far more difficult and frustrating, but that's no reason to act like an ass to someone who made a fair point. There are lots of people I see on the forums saying they really enjoyed playing Horizons, and the FTB team isn't going to stop people from playing it just because one person made a complaint.

Irrelevant

Jul 29, 2019
@trajing Why would I want help from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about?
First its not an issue and its only me.
Then you want me to ask you directly how to fix it.
Now you are saying its as easy as moving a folder...

The version that was fixed also requires Animation API. I "moved the folders" and the server would not start. It must need forge updated or something else.

Which brings me to this forum to complain about a crappy broken mod pack that should have been taken down and not listed as a viable.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
@trajing Why would I want help from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about?

The version that was fixed also requires Animation API. I "moved the folders" and the server would not start. It must need forge updated or something else.

Which brings me to this forum to complain about a crappy broken mod pack that should have been taken down and not listed as a viable.
THEN YOU INSTALL DEPENDENCIES. I have no clue how to be more clear to you, because you are being an idiot. I stated that I would have helped, but @Padfoote and I have the same skills in resolving MC tech support. Now I'm screaming at my phone, and everyone else in this place is staring at me like I'm insane.

/me goes back to reading Cracked

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
First things first... A little google-fu would have told you exactly how to fix this issue.
Second things second... The attitude you are conveying is not a way to win friends and influence people, you are coming off as one of those "I paid good money for this" kind of folks, when it is free.

Yes the issue is well known. Yes we all have to deal with it, the solution is really simple, and we have given you the solution in this thread.

It is not up to FTB to police the mod makers to fix their code to make you happy.
I suggest trying the AGT launcher and then spouting off like this on their forums to see how far you get.

Kill-Joy

Jul 29, 2019
Idk if this has been mentioned, but if you go into the config file, you'll find this section:
Code:
####################
# mobs
#===================
# Spawn control for different AM mobs.
####################

mobs {
B:SpawnDarklings=true
B:SpawnDryads=true
B:SpawnHecates=true
B:SpawnMages=true
B:SpawnManaCreepers=true
B:SpawnManaElementals=true
B:SpawnWaterElementals=true
}
Simply disable the Hecates. I personally like to keep them on in my magic pack, as it is intended to be extremely difficult. But that's a personal decision.

You can also use, as @Padfoote mentioned (notice how I pinged him), OpenBlocks. But there's another mod that allows you to disable them, called Mob Spawn Controls 2. It allows you to disable mobs all together or per biome.
Screenshots:
amf4eu.png
63vdwz.png

4sik91.png

/me notices that there were messages since she last loaded the page

Aaand as I was typing this you turned into a complete jerk who I didn't want to help anymore. trajing did know what he was talking about, and he has point out, like the rest of us, that this modpack is not "crappy" and "broken" as you suggest. There is one bug. These people make these modpacks for us. Just scroll down the launcher and look at how many they made, and at the quality of them all. For that quality, imagine the amount of bugs that you'd have to squash. Sure, there was one bug that they missed, but it should not be a reason to make a complete fool of yourself, insulting the creators of the modpacks most of us regularly play and use. Maybe the creators intended to have the hecates spawn this often. Then what you're complaining about would be a feature, not a bug.
Besides, at the time of creation, it's not like there was a fix readily available. People only started noticing these bugs after the pack was released. One bug should not be a reason to have a pack taken down, that's for certain. And if you think it is, why don't you try making your own pack? How stable do you think that would be? I've spent months and months on my magic pack, and it's not anywhere near balanced. So you can shut up and take your complaints to hell with you.

And I'm sorry, I rarely yell at someone like this, but you deserve it.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019

I'm confused - did you use the latest build for OpenBlocks, or the 1.6.4 build? You need the 1.6.4 build, which I don't believe has an additional required lib. You shouldn't have to update Forge as far as I know.

edit: Apologies, I thought OB had updated to 1.7.10, and they haven't. The latest version is the 1.6.4

Last edited: