Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Or borrow mine.
Which is exactly what I did when I set up my direwolf20 world with added GT. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the OP
skype-wackyb-0111-blush.gif

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I plan to use a heavily overclocked macerator as my on-demand coal dust generator for my AE system. Nothing can compete with its speed, so there's that. It's definitely a niche usage, but frankly I'm discovering that with the industrial grinder for later-game and the induction smelter for early game, there's not much point in getting a pulverizer either.

I've found that the small chance of getting rich slag out of an induction smelter isn't worth it. Makes it very hard to automate because you are having to alternate between sand and rich slag so I'd rather just stack pulverizers over powered furnaces and get extra ingots that way.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yes that works, but it's not too hard to automate it. Just have an Igneous Extruder next to a Pulverizer next to an Induction Smelter, and pump the ores in from the top and take them out from the bottom or the other 2 sides you have left. Or you can have your sand production elsewhere and just pump it in. Free gravel, too.

But I do use Pulverizers too. Instead of wasting my Ferrous Ore before I get an Industrial Grinder so I can get Platinum, I just Pulverize Iron Ore so I can get the Cupronickel Heating Coils for the Industrial Blast Furnace.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that the small chance of getting rich slag out of an induction smelter isn't worth it. Makes it very hard to automate because you are having to alternate between sand and rich slag so I'd rather just stack pulverizers over powered furnaces and get extra ingots that way.
Perhaps I do things in an odd order, but by the time I'm ready to automate my ore processing I'm ready to make an industrial grinder. However, I kinda rush for the grinder and stockpile most of my ores in anticipation of that to squeeze every last resource out of them. Since I know the grinder is going to be my end game, I use the induction smelter to make the process of building the grinder as fast as possible. Rich slag allowing you to choose which ore to increase the output of is great for that.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Hah "They are allowed to leave, forcibly if necessary"
Yeah, and they'll be walked home to make sure.

Slightly more on topic, I kind of got tired of Gregtech so I'm switching over to the Ampz modpack. All I can say is, I'll never be out of Copper or Tin. love it~

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
OT: FYI Lambert's gf would pwn him in FTB any day :p

"What's that honey? You died - again!?"
skype-wackyb-0111-blush.gif
I blame lag...
The creeper! The monicle on Lambert's is the necklace on Linda's!

Mind=Blown

All I can say is, I'll never be out of Copper or Tin.
*uses Gregtech Industrial Centrifuge with lava*
I haven't been out of copper or tin for quite a while!
(but that was on another map and I do not have any tin at the moment :p)

Reactions: Linda

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
i heard that the main reason that it was in the packs was simply because slowpoke liked it
I thought it was because Guude and the Mindcrackers voted for it? I remember a video where Etho said it was a decision between the Mindcrackers and not many people wanted it but it still got voted in?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I thought it was because Guude and the Mindcrackers voted for it? I remember a video where Etho said it was a decision between the Mindcrackers and not many people wanted it but it still got voted in?
It was in FTB prior to Mindcrack.

Reactions: Chocorate

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
You can hit that ratio with 2 iron tubes or 1 iron tube and 1 choke tube. See the documentation. You start at 6:2, but two efficiency Is would bring you to 4:2. Are you allowed to have 2 efficiency tubes?

I'm going to test this out directly and see what happens. Breakin' new ground. :D

FYI if we do find a power loop and it's not caused by the Energy Bridge directly, Power Crystals' official stance is that other mod generators that can cause infinite power loops in conjunction with the bridge are not bugs and won't be dealt with at all. There is, of course, a config file you can tweak to break these loops or create them yourself.

You'd do what you do in IC2 anyways, output to a power source, transform down to a lower voltage if necessary, then loop back to your feeder power source and other batteries. Even if your engine throttles down, RECs can overcome this easily, so long as you have a lot of storage in your IC2 power network.

Fit a Redstone Energy Cell to an MFSU and vice-versa in a power loop and see what happens. You'll notice the system very slowly drains even when no machines are attached to it. There's a 5% power loss penalty whenever power is drawn from a source in TE, another little-known fact mainly because in most cases it makes no real difference but here it matters.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to test this out directly and see what happens. Breakin' new ground. :D

FYI if we do find a power loop and it's not caused by the Energy Bridge directly, Power Crystals' official stance is that other mod generators that can cause infinite power loops in conjunction with the bridge are not bugs and won't be dealt with at all. There is, of course, a config file you can tweak to break these loops or create them yourself.

Indeed. I really like that PC's config file is so comprehensive!

Fit a Redstone Energy Cell to an MFSU and vice-versa in a power loop and see what happens. You'll notice the system very slowly drains even when no machines are attached to it. There's a 5% power loss penalty whenever power is drawn from a source in TE, another little-known fact mainly because in most cases it makes no real difference but here it matters.

Don't use redstone conduits. Use very short lengths of gold conductive pipe or direct connections. Every connection except direct connection is lossy.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
The test proved to be pointless for three reasons:

1) When I tried to fill the internal buffer, a 10000EU starter supply was too big for the internal buffer. When I said that thing was tiny I wasn't kidding.
2) Adding an choke tube and efficiency tube brought the effective power ratio right back to 3:1 instead of 6:2. All I did was halve the speed it outputs power at.
3) It seems Power Crystals added safeguards against power loops as when I tried to loop the power it simply burned through the internal buffer.

So there you go, even before you factor cable loss into it the Electrical Engine will at best match the 5:2 power ratio and power looping is not realistically possible.