Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Dafuq happened?
As with anything, take your pick: technical challenges, internal politics, changed minds, a spanner slipped, the gremlins are loose, the tumbeasts are noming the datacenter, the GregTech version they tested with had a buried mnemonic that compelled the pack team to leave it in as hard mode, the Illuminati made Benedict resign because he agreed with "nerfing" GregTech, etc.

As with knowing how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know. Or, we could hold off until a bit after PAX East when people are rested up and pester them then. ;)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
As with anything, take your pick: technical challenges, internal politics, changed minds, a spanner slipped, the gremlins are loose, the tumbeasts are noming the datacenter, the GregTech version they tested with had a buried mnemonic that compelled the pack team to leave it in as hard mode, the Illuminati made Benedict resign because he agreed with "nerfing" GregTech, etc.

As with knowing how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know. Or, we could hold off until a bit after PAX East when people are rested up and pester them then. ;)

I pick the "greg gave them money to be a famous and hated gangsta"

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
FTB launcher is a download link nothing else at this point if you want a custom pack with custom configs make it yourself go get permissions do something beside sitting here bitching that the people volunteering doing this didn't make you happy.

I did do something. I made an editorial video discussing the community's role in abusing the term 'OP' and other related attitudes that lead to mods like GregTech in the first place. I also do a video series on modded Minecraft currently focusing on the Ultimate pack with GregTech disabled that aims to illustrate how you can get many, many hours of both laid back and challenging entertainment out of the pack without having to extend the progression curve artificially in order to avoid premature boredom. I also participate in discussion such as this with the aim of sharing a point of view and the objective supporting rationale behind it.

So here's an idea...how about you phrase your own point of view with objective, intelligent supporting arguments like a grown-up instead of just taking shots at the people who don't share your point of view? And if you opt to go the grown-up route, do try and include punctuation in your failed attempts so you don't come across like a meth junky trying to prolong a 36 hour binge.[DOUBLEPOST=1364175834][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was a quick fix suggestion, how hard would it really be to do until we got a more permanent solution up?

That's just it...why does it even need a solution? Who cares if people play the game in a cheaty way? If it doesn't fit with your way of how the game 'should' be played, don't play it that way. That's the solution. It was the same with EE2 with people complaining about energy collectors (and to a lesser extend, condensers). If it's so upsetting to them, they can just not use those items. But to take an item that serves a very useful purpose in the early game and ruin its viability for that purpose because someone you don't even know in a corner of the world you've never been to might use that item to cheat? No. Just no.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
That's just it...why does it even need a solution? Who cares if people play the game in a cheaty way? If it doesn't fit with your way of how the game 'should' be played, don't play it that way. That's the solution. It was the same with EE2 with people complaining about energy collectors (and to a lesser extend, condensers). If it's so upsetting to them, they can just not use those items. But to take an item that serves a very useful purpose in the early game and ruin its viability for that purpose because someone you don't even know in a corner of the world you've never been to might use that item to cheat? No. Just no.

A solution is needed because a multiplayer environment exists. No one cares what you do with your own game, but trying to create a certain style of server is really difficult /without/ details like being able to multiply your wood energy yeild 12 fold.

Your utter lack of understanding on the actual problems of condensers also bugs me. The video made good points but on completely flawed reasoning. The condensers messed with 'scarcity', which changed the balance of every mod in Tekkit (which was most EE2 problems were relivent to). It meant you could either have EE enabled, and your gameplay would be dominated and 'balanced' arnound EE2, or disable it and you could base it around the other major mods.

Bascialy when you take all the issue of 'op' and 'cheaty' out of it, your still left with the very real problem of if you have a 'super-creative' endgame, or the 'technical-survival' endgame. For a /multiplayer server/ thats going to determine the types of players who are intrested, how long they stay, and what level of greifing protections you needed.

In this case, we /badly/ need a greg setting for servers much like an EE2 one was needed back then. There is no /easy/ way, but the launcher. Distributing config files is a pain. But at the end of the day it is the mod thats going to make the largest change to the overall play experience.

On a slightly more cynical note, we need it before something like the Tekkit platform does it, popularises it, and makes the FTB option seem really difficult, thus once again raising that flame war to the heat of things. Theres enough drama over gregs existance as it is. (which would probably be less hate if all the configs didn't defualt to stupidly tedious mode)

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
People are missing the ENTIRE point of this thread. This is not a thread discussing "Gregtech is bad because" vs "Gregtech is good because"
This thread is devoted to the idea that everyone can be catered for without forcing them into config files. Easy, Hard, and no Gregtech can all be added to the 3 main modpacks (I disregard yogs as it adds nothing worthwhile other than a place for yogfanboi's to sing praise to the yogs) yet right now all we have is no GT and two packs with identicle hardmode GT configs. If FTB wants to cater to the most amount of people possible, then an option for easymode GT should be included by default in one of the packs. I am just making the suggestion that it should be ultimate, as out of the three main packs, that is the only one where THEY personally have the final decision on what is in it.
You said it yourself... People will just start into rants about GT. tis human nature

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke wanted it on hard mode so he got it.

Which is so strange because he was complaining about diamonds were too rare in the DW20 pack, and was saying that he wished Direwolf had let him buff the diamond spawn rates.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Which is so strange because he was complaining about diamonds were too rare in the DW20 pack, and was saying that he wished Direwolf had let him buff the diamond spawn rates.
The reason i'm not playing the ultimate pack is because I feel like i'm playing exactly how slowpoke wants everyone too. He disabled the biomes he doesn't like, he makes the ore as common/rare as he likes it and makes other recipes easier/harder as he sees fit. Direwolf20 is pretty much just all the default configs with duplicate ores disabled and no ID conflicts

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The reason i'm not playing the ultimate pack is because I feel like i'm playing exactly how slowpoke wants everyone too. He disabled the biomes he doesn't like, he makes the ore as common/rare as he likes it and makes other recipes easier/harder as he sees fit. Direwolf20 is pretty much just all the default configs with duplicate ores disabled and no ID conflicts
And most, I would imagine, do not want to play the same game slow wants to play. It is not the modders nor the FTB devs jobs to balance the game it is the end user.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
A solution is needed because a multiplayer environment exists. No one cares what you do with your own game, but trying to create a certain style of server is really difficult /without/ details like being able to multiply your wood energy yeild 12 fold.

So you're on a server. Bob is over there generating his energy with <x>. Tom is over yonder burning scaffolds. So what? What does it matter? It's not like scaffolds are by any means a good mid/late game fuel. I can be generating EU and MJ from lava within about four hours of setting foot in a new world. Better than bad is not necessarily good. Burning scaffolds is better than bad. That doesn't make it good compared to other fully viable alternatives.

Your utter lack of understanding on the actual problems of condensers also bugs me. The video made good points but on completely flawed reasoning. The condensers messed with 'scarcity', which changed the balance of every mod in Tekkit (which was most EE2 problems were relivent to). It meant you could either have EE enabled, and your gameplay would be dominated and 'balanced' arnound EE2, or disable it and you could base it around the other major mods.

There was no flaw in my reasoning. There are so many machines and tools in Tekkit/DW20/MindCrack/Ultimate that can be used to gather tremendous amounts of resources in relatively short periods of time that scarcity doesn't even factor into it. Scarcity is a vanilla thing where your tools and armor are typically prone to wearing out, you can only mine one block at a time, and there are no ways to automate resource gathering. The focus of tech packs is the tech. But no, Joe, you can't experience the tech because someone in a decision making capacity can't recognize the difference between things that mattered in vanilla and things that matter in modded Minecraft.

Bascialy when you take all the issue of 'op' and 'cheaty' out of it, your still left with the very real problem of if you have a 'super-creative' endgame, or the 'technical-survival' endgame. For a /multiplayer server/ thats going to determine the types of players who are intrested, how long they stay, and what level of greifing protections you needed.

You're making a false parallel. As previously mentioned, there's no endgame in a sandbox game. There's the end of a tech tree, but no endgame. Additionally, you're arguing something as being harmful in one paragraph and then supporting the existence of the same problem elsewhere. Burning scaffolding in the early game is bad because it will provide some trivial advantage over someone who doesn't burn scaffolding in the form of maybe a 1 or 2 hour lead on progression, but expanding the hell out of the progression curve so that someone joining a server 'late' is so far behind they'll never reasonably hope to catch up to anyone is totally fine. If you're going to talk with any credibility about the trials and tribulations of managing a '/multiplayer server/' then of course you must be prepared to discuss things like attrition and turnover. If Joe's cheaty antics with scaffolding and the advantage it grants him are so damn disturbing to you that you'd rather see scaffolds nerfed into near non-viability in their intended role to prevent it, how can you sit there with a straight face and tell me the advantage granted by time on a GregTech-enabled server is somehow okay? Little advantage = big nerf, massive advantage = fine by me! Think on it.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
And most, I would imagine, do not want to play the same game slow wants to play. It is not the modders nor the FTB devs jobs to balance the game it is the end user.
Right, If I have a problem with something I can change it myself. I just think its annoying how he changes everything because then I have to go config hunting to see what hes changed.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
he also changed extrabiomes? wtf is this shit am playing? I ain't nobody's puppet! make a slowpoke pack and do whatever in it, leave our ultimate with all the biomes alone!

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
he also changed extrabiomes? wtf is this shit am playing? I ain't nobody's puppet! make a slowpoke pack and do whatever in it, leave our ultimate with all the biomes alone!
13 of the 28 extra biomes are disabled by default in the ultimate pack, I basically stopped playing it when I found that out

Reactions: Dravarden

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
13 of the 28 extra biomes are disabled by default in the ultimate pack, I basically stopped playing it when I found that out

I always thought he made the ultimate pack for the comunity, like, the mindcrack for the mindcrackers, DW for DW fans, etc. not a pack for him to play...

ultradolp

Jul 29, 2019
I strongly believe that there should be more documentation/customization for all the config staff. I myself as a server owner has no problem of going into the config and modifying them. But I can see this can be something that discourage new player to try the mod pack out.

Some configuration may not be obvious to find at the first place. If one day some friends just come together and say "hey! Let's play a FTB server together!". They build it up, start to play it and watch/browse what other people in the internet does only to realize that "they have a different config setting". For someone inexperienced it may be quite the trouble to get the thing done.

At the bare minimum, having some general setting like difficulty across the board and documentations will be fair enough, though that will require additional work from the pack organizer which we are in no position to demand them to do such staff. I personally think it will be good for new comers

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
*Everything*.

Just because you like to play in an isolated enviroment with people of your exact mindset, doesn't make you right.

It matters because making a community without some kind of ruleing is dman near imposable. If people wnated to encourage a railcraft styled server and didn't disable or 'nurff' the parts of other mods that make it totally redundant, no-one will use it.

Scarcity isn't just a vanilla thing either. Any mod created to work with just vanilla, that bases it's balance of scarcity is going to be poorly balanced if you introduce massive mining or condensers.

The simple fact is, NONE of these mods has been made with /every other mod in mind/ so in terms of modpacks if you want a unified experiance, you have to consider balance, configs, and that certain item combos won';t be good for your server.

This applys both ways of course. I've also run servers where the 'exploity' mod interactions were buffed to rapidly ascend people to the super-creative mindset. The point is your 'anyone can do anything' 'don't have variations' mindset doesn't work except for that exact playstyle.

It's also the one place where configs make sense. Server side. For changing that servers experiance. Whats suited for Single players not always for multiplayer afterall.

Would do a lot of things for a way to auto-sync the ones that need to be the same on server and client though. Thats just ****ing rediculious.

Reactions: Zerodaimaru