Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
the fun part of what they're doing is automating the creation of the solars. That could be fun. Using the solars is as far removed from fun as possible.
"Oh how fun is this, I right clicked and now I have power forever!!!"

Well for things like applied energistics where you want them to be powered 24/7 but dont feel like setting up a full power system just for them they are nice. But for my machines I like to use other stuff

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
because solars, be it GT or IC2, are boring methods of generating power.
Cause they're pricy. And some people like having a system that generates energy instead of a box.

Eh, I'm half&half for solars, I don't have them set up atm, but I will....Eventually. I think?
Oh, and scaffold factories aren't?
it's less boring than solars certainly.
The forgecraft server has different opinions on that, specially neptune, chickenbones and direwolf :p
Everyone tends to like Solars because they provide power without much effort. Scaffolds were very good for EU production(some considered them OP), but took work to run, but cost very little. I like solars because they can be effective for some power systems.(my first real foray into IC2 was a bunch of copper cables, batboxes, and some basic machines, all powered by one solar panel, with a small rubber farm outside my house, on a mountain, back before Biomes)
But I rarely use them these days because despite the ease and how simple my builds tend to be, I moved up to just using fuel cans and lots of energy storage.(my houses are still about as ugly as they used to be, though, but I'm getting into building more ascetically pleasing things, which is easier now with the 4096 id patch and plenty of new blocks)

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad someone else here pointed out the flaws in that vieo. it makes some good points but the examples are completely wonky.

Something /like/ greg is needed if you want to have a certain style to playing with meny independent mods. In Tekkit this ment disabilig EE3 if you wanted a survival rather then creative mode. In Other modpacks it's ment tweaking every config file to prevent cross mod exploits less you want them.

Something like greg is the next logical step. It takes what /can't/ be done and makes it changeable. unfortunatly we've got the combination of mod pack balancing, new features and multiple 'difficultys' all making it very complex and muddy.

But I'm 100% on Ultimate being easy. Or there being eay/hard added to the launcher screen.

Frnakly, if your playing single player none of this matters, there are config.

For the rest of the world where we play SMP, the whole POINT of these launchers (Plural, including not-FTB), is to have an easy way to get people on the same setup with the same config en mass.

So weither it is easy or hard by defualt makes a world of diffrence.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Well for things like applied energistics where you want them to be powered 24/7 but dont feel like setting up a full power system just for them they are nice. But for my machines I like to use other stuff
I've never played with AE but yeah I can understand needing constant power... Again, solar would not be my method of choice for this.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I think that it would be very interesting to see Slowpoke's take on GregTech's role in the different packs, and I mean that. Surely he can't think that sending software development 20 years back in time by leaving user control over 'difficulty' in a config file is good for the modded Minecraft scene. Maybe he feels that more time required equates to a higher degree of difficulty. Since I posted an editorial on a related subject a couple of days ago I've been thinking a bit more on the topic. I'm not sure it's a good idea to assume that everyone who plays a mod pack is going to be actively reviewing information on forums and the like to find out why the IC2 recipes they're so familiar with are suddenly very different. I know it's very easy to say that they should read this forum or that subreddit but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with what 'should' be and everything to do with what is.

The way GregTech approaches things is just poorly thought out. It's indicative of inexperienced design choices that don't reflect the potential to do everything Gregorius wants to do without confusing/frustrating/irritating people in the process. While Gregorius is trying to tell us he thrives on challenge and taking more time to do simple things makes things hard, he's clearly not practicing what he preaches because if he had spent a little more time and effort on his design philosophy he wouldn't have come up with such a divisive mod.

Reactions: Skyqula

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference between "easy" and "hard" mode for GT just other mod recipes? There's no alternative recipe for the Industrial items, Machine Casing, or anything like that. A few minor things make a difference (Mass Fab enabled+Matter Fab=no scrap required), but the large majority is the use of other mod (and vanilla) items.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Another video that convinces people of an idea with misinformation.. to cover a few:

Before you can point out what is or isn't misinformation, you first have to demonstrate your ability to properly interpret what was said. Based on your list, you went in with a tremendous bias and came out with a long list of points to counter that were never made. You can think what you want to think, but discerning people demand a higher level of objectivity than what you've displayed.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Before you can point out what is or isn't misinformation, you first have to demonstrate your ability to properly interpret what was said. Based on your list, you went in with a tremendous bias and came out with a long list of points to counter that were never made. You can think what you want to think, but discerning people demand a higher level of objectivity than what you've displayed.
honestly, your video was quite the inspiration for me to write this, so thanks :)

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to say this as calmly as I possibly can ;) : WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LAMBERT!
Rant over. I'm absolutely fine with Gregtech, I'll just start with Easy Mode and switch to Hard Mode once I have a nice infrastructure.

Reactions: Whovian

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to say this as calmly as I possibly can ;) : WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LAMBERT!
Rant over. I'm absolutely fine with Gregtech, I'll just start with Easy Mode and switch to Hard Mode once I have a nice infrastructure.
I'm similar, except instead of changing the configs I just play on peaceful until that point.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Goes to show how some expect to be fed with a silver spoon.. FTB is just a delivery method its the user that decides how they want to use it.
Well, the whole point of a mod pack is for people who don't want to edit configs and stuff. I (and you) may not have a problem editing configs, but some people do, and that's why they chose to use this. The inability to edit configs come at a price, which is this.

But I don't understand why they don't have Ultimate: Easy Mode Gregtech (and maybe Ultimate: Hard Mode Gregtech). It'd clutter up the launcher, but it wouldn't lead to any Gregtech related thread to end up in a flame war.
It's a hard choice for them to choose, maybe someone should create an easy config editing guide, using Veloctician's Ultimate Config Pack, or just going in and editing them themselves. But even then, people shouldn't have to go edit configs to play FTB. I only started modded MC because I thought it was one "super mod", but having to fix id's and other things are a chore in itself that I frankly don't want to do.

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
the point I'm trying to make is that we already have a modpack that has GT on hardmode, we already have a modpack that has no GT at all... but we have no modpack that has GT on easymode by default. Ultimate imo, should be that modpack.

Makes sense to me, especially since the beta pack had GT on easymode.

Personally I play on stock Ultimate, but I'm doing my best to avoid GT and IC2 completely. The closest I've gotten to IC2 is Power Converter's bridge to the Universal Charger to recharge my powersuit. I don't even have an anvil because that'd require IC2 to make.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I can see how this would get annoying. Doing something completely unrelated to IC2/GT, and whoop! You need a compressor and a generator for your three iron blocks!

mrkite

Jul 29, 2019
It was actually really stupid to make charcoal if you could make scaffolds because scaffolds were just as good as a wooden plank, and you got a lot for what they cost, so you got a load of EU from them. Originally he tried turning down the burn value of scaffolds, which didn't work for some reason(can turn it up, but not down), so he just made you get less when you crafted them.

This is definitely a case where I think greg is a dick. The proper response to people burning scaffolds for cheap power is to prevent scaffolds from burning, not to nerf the recipe to the point where scaffolds no longer serve a purpose.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
He was unable to turn down the amount it burned for, only up. Yes, it does ruin the point of Scaffolds, but what are you gonna do?

Even then, there's the fact that any treefarm will give you infinite stuff to burn. It's not a HUGE deal to me anyways, but others may feel different.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This is definitely a case where I think greg is a dick. The proper response to people burning scaffolds for cheap power is to prevent scaffolds from burning, not to nerf the recipe to the point where scaffolds no longer serve a purpose.
Maybe you don't get what I'm saying here. He tried. That didn't work.
And how do they not serve a purpose? They still only require wood, and still are the best way to get Construction Foam into specific areas. Or do you mean they don't serve a purpose compared to ladders? I don't use ladders much either because of Scaffolds. It's easier to use Scaffolds for almost any ladder, but wooden scaffolds can only go so high, and iron ones can go higher, but cost more to build. But one can be crafted out of a easily renewable resource, where as the other requires either a zombie farm, a good bee, or UUM to have renewable. Ladders can't compete with scaffolds at some things, yet excel at other things.(need a way to go up over a hundred blocks? Building a parkour entrance to your secret storage room? Trying to build a lava blade for your mob farm?)

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the whole point of a mod pack is for people who don't want to edit configs and stuff. I (and you) may not have a problem editing configs, but some people do, and that's why they chose to use this. The inability to edit configs come at a price, which is this.

But I don't understand why they don't have Ultimate: Easy Mode Gregtech (and maybe Ultimate: Hard Mode Gregtech). It'd clutter up the launcher, but it wouldn't lead to any Gregtech related thread to end up in a flame war.
It's a hard choice for them to choose, maybe someone should create an easy config editing guide, using Veloctician's Ultimate Config Pack, or just going in and editing them themselves. But even then, people shouldn't have to go edit configs to play FTB. I only started modded MC because I thought it was one "super mod", but having to fix id's and other things are a chore in itself that I frankly don't want to do.

Well I don't mind editing a config once, but the thing that puts me off is that every update I have to do it again (and the same goes for adding/disabling mods). I mean the whole point of a config file is that you have a structure that's easy to read and write to from a computer perspective, why not use that to compare settings between config files and take over any settings a user changed? I know for a fact this is actually not hard to do, but replacing an old config with a new one (just to make sure all the new options are there and set properly) is way easier (and way more frustrating for users).

I also like your second idea, really simple, could be implemented in 5 minutes and make everyone happy. I honestly think the only people it would feel cluttered for is first timers, but first timers probably know what pack they want or will be flabbergasted anyway by the number of packs already in the launcher. 1 more pack really isn't going to make a difference for new people and experienced users won't notice any "cluttering" at all.