GregTech Has Gone Too far

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Well for now I'm holding back on the UE mods again at least until the next 1.5.2 update for the beta packs. Hopefully whomever is working with UE power production and consumption will balance it a bit more so UE doesn't blow all the other choices out of the water. For the most part working with Mekanism installed (only did AS in creative) made everything a lot easier, from diamonds via I believe it was the enrichment chamber, to tripling ores by using the massive amount of gravel and flint I had. Steel ended up being more of a limiting factor than osmium after I got the tripling process going, ended up with something like 8 stacks of osmium dust and had an enriching factory with 2 speed upgrades, a basic, and an advanced energy cube. Add to that the easy energy from even a hydrogen generator and it makes other mod's energy production look infantile.

Also, compressed carbon from charcoal helps a lot when making steel using Mekanism, as did my BC obsidian pipe drop off points for my mine (obsidian pipes to drop off items connected to iron pipes that were connected to stone and gold pipes).

mathjazz

Jul 29, 2019
I think that it would be best if the nerfs were options that could be turned on, but were default in the off position. I mean, I just think that would be the courteous thing to do when what you are nerfing is from someone else's mod.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
[1] Not to imply Greg necessarily has one.

with attitude greg has, i`d be surprised if he had one.[DOUBLEPOST=1374044038][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that it would be best if the nerfs were options that could be turned on, but were default in the off position. I mean, I just think that would be the courteous thing to do when what you are nerfing is from someone else's mod.
sorry, but its to logical for greg to handle.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder what more it would take for GregTech to be pulled from all versions of the 1.6.x mod packs. By forcing crashes he's essentially shipping malware with his mod, and while I don't use Tinker's Construct I see a lot of discussion about it. Short of distributing viruses that start formatting player hard drives because I'm using a power glove instead of his iron pick, what more does it take before people start to drop support?

I appreciate there's a time to sit on a fence and watch. There are also times when sitting on a fence just means you have a a post up your ass. With every stupid change and every new public hissy fit, Greg inches closer and closer to doing something exceptionally stupid at the expense of the players, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how sitting around waiting for it to happen aligns with a vision of collaboration with mod devs and providing stable mod packs people can use without concern of crashes and an unplayable game because vanilla wood is OP.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i`d say now is the perfect time to drop gt for such behavior.
i`m pretty sure that every mod pack with gt, that will has a mod, that gives greg a taste of his own shit medicine, will crash with such error.
and i highly doubt that TiC was last to do so.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
I appreciate there's a time to sit on a fence and watch. There are also times when sitting on a fence just means you have a a post up your ass. With every stupid change and every new public hissy fit, Greg inches closer and closer to doing something exceptionally stupid at the expense of the players, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how sitting around waiting for it to happen aligns with a vision of collaboration with mod devs and providing stable mod packs people can use without concern of crashes and an unplayable game because vanilla wood is OP.

I'm pretty sure something exceptionally stupid just happened. Crashing the game because someone wouldn't put up with your crap is incredibly childish. I mean he's perfectly happy messing with other people's mod so he should quit bitching.

Also since crashing the game isn't a thing we want to promote, Railcraft has game crashing type code in the form of it's idoit DRM, so yeah. Just because peeps like CJ for reasons, he shouldn't be exempt from the 'crashers get trashed' opinion train.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Also since crashing the game isn't a thing we want to promote, Railcraft has game crashing type code in the form of it's idoit DRM, so yeah. Just because peeps like CJ for reasons, he shouldn't be exempt from the 'crashers get trashed' opinion train.

can you share more details on that DRM of RC? somehow i`m pretty sure its a different from what Greg is doing.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
can you share more details on that DRM of RC? somehow i`m pretty sure its a different from what Greg is doing.

If Railcraft detects changes to certain mods, it throws a hissy fit and prevents Minecraft from launching and/or crashes. People found this lovely piece of code existed when trying to apply a third-party fix to Redpower 2. He's justifying it by saying it's opt-out. Of course this really doesn't hold up since Eloraam is pretty much entirely silent. Also silence = consent isn't legally enforceable.

On topic of Greg being crazy, there was a not that heated talk between mDiyo and Greg in the Gregtech thread on Ic2 forums. It makes you hate Greg!

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If Railcraft detects changes to certain mods, it throws a hissy fit and prevents Minecraft from launching and/or crashes. People found this lovely piece of code existed when trying to apply a third-party fix to Redpower 2. He's justifying it by saying it's opt-out. Of course this really doesn't hold up since Eloraam is pretty much entirely silent. Also silence = consent isn't legally enforceable.
it looks to me like CJ acting as a knight in shining armor, by not allowing people to touch Eloraam`s mod, because she doesnt like it.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The two situations are completely different. GT and TiC are both in the FTB packs, that third party mod isn't. RP2 isn't open source, it's closed source, so if that third party mod uses any of Elo's code it goes against her licensing on the code. Even if it's not using her code she doesn't like people messing with her baby and doesn't mess with other people's mods. Loufmier has it right - if anyone is in the wrong in that situation it's the third party modders for "fixing" redpower 2 without Elo's consent.

There is a whole post about closed sourced mods for the forums here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/forum-policy-on-closed-source-mods.3613/

Short version regarding this - third party mods for RP2 = no no.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
The two situations are completely different. GT and TiC are both in the FTB packs, that third party mod isn't. RP2 isn't open source, it's closed source, so if that third party mod uses any of Elo's code it goes against her licensing on the code. Even if it's not using her code she doesn't like people messing with her baby and doesn't mess with other people's mods. Loufmier has it right - if anyone is in the wrong in that situation it's the third party modders for "fixing" redpower 2 without Elo's consent.

There is a whole post about closed sourced mods for the forums here http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/forum-policy-on-closed-source-mods.3613/

Short version regarding this - third party mods for RP2 = no no.

This is the point where someone (me) points out that Minecraft itself is closed source.

Also stop kissing up to modders so hard you disagree with fixing stuff they aren't going to fix. RP2's post release support is none existent, even for errors that crash the game.

And really where the hell did this idea the Redpower is Eloraam's 'baby' come from because that's both disturbing and has vaguely sexist undertones.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If you think that has sexual undertones then clearly you're the one that's a bit disturbed. Referring to someone's work as their child in some form is nothing new and spans across cultures.

Also, I'm not "kissing up" to mod authors, I'm relaying forum rules as well as why the third party in this case would be in the wrong. Also, just because something is closed source does not mean something else cannot modify it - those are two completely separate issues that you seem to be getting confused. The issue here isn't JUST that Elo's mod is closed source, but ALSO that she doesn't want people modifying it or using her code without her permission. For Mojang this is different because even though it's closed source they have explicitly allowed people to modify their work as long as it's not for profit.

Edit: Also, on another note, I'm not even that much of a fan for RP2. Most of the stuff it adds has been replaced by other mods in some form and as it's not even in the latest FTB packs it is a non-issue to me. Sure, I like having more viable options and would like it if she were more vocal like KL or mDiyo, but everyone has their own circumstances.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
If you think that has sexual undertones then clearly you're the one that's a bit disturbed. Referring to someone's work as their child in some form is nothing new and spans across cultures.

Uh, sexist and sexual aren't synonyms. Sexism is related to discrimination based on Y-chromosomes, and sexual is related to sex. WORDS, why are they sharing meanings?

Anyhow it has sexist undertones because I doubt people would talk about RP2 being anyone's baby if we didn't know Eloraam was female. Then again assumption are assumed.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
This is the point where someone (me) points out that Minecraft itself is closed source.

Also stop kissing up to modders so hard you disagree with fixing stuff they aren't going to fix. RP2's post release support is none existent, even for errors that crash the game.
i believe there is a difference between Mincraft`s license and RP2`s, so i dont think it wise to do such comparison.

Eloraam has all right to not allow anyone to touch her work, regardless if change is good for her work or not.
I do think that`s not very wise of her to reject good additions to her mod, but final word is up to her, and you cant do anything but accept it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Eloraam has all right to not allow anyone to touch her work

Debatable, but probably not. She certainly has a right to stop (re-)distribution of that work, including direct modifications. She almost certainly does not have any right to stop decompiles, black box reimplementations, etc.

russjr08

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. So Greg is allowed to change other mods... but the moment someone tries to change his mod... "OH NO! YOU CANT DO THAT!".... Yeah makes sense. And to make it worse, its not even directly affecting the mod author... it's affecting the users.
Eh. If it comes down to GT vs TiC... I know which one I'm choosing..

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Uh, sexist and sexual aren't synonyms. Sexism is related to discrimination based on Y-chromosomes, and sexual is related to sex. WORDS, why are they sharing meanings?
Anyhow it has sexist undertones because I doubt people would talk about RP2 being anyone's baby if we didn't know Eloraam was female. Then again assumption are assumed.

Excuse me, I read it wrongly as sexual instead of sexist (bad eyesight doesn't help -_-), but either way there are no undertones there unless you're looking for them. That's why one of the nukes we dropped on Japan was named "Little Boy," why we have words such as "brainchild." why some people say "fire up that bad boy," or even "listen to that baby purr." In Japan you can also see references to this where doujin groups will refer to their work as they're "child." These are merely endearing terms people give to their works, inventions, or machines to show the love they have for them - they treat these works as if they were their own children. I can assure you, it has nothing to do with the fact Elo's a woman.

Anyway, enough of that, it's way off topic and this thread is already walking the plank considering what it's about.

Hopefully though we'll at least we'll see an ngt pack update if nothing else since while I liked some of the stuff GT added I can't say I like Greg's attitude or the direction he's taking the mod.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
depressing that jadeds probably going to lock the thread instead of moving it and letting us talk.

Mod authors are sometimes a crazy bunch of people. they also do crazy things. people should stop playing blind and saying, oh well she made cool things once so I pray to her every day and am determined to get her pregnant.

Sent from my homophone using metaphorical circuit boards

Reactions: Loufmier
Status
Not open for further replies.