Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
No. If you think, we don't care, about a pack we make .. you're trying to find an issue.

Stop being one sided. We're in this together, we are listening, we are trying to find a path that works for everyone .. and works with balance .. and works with the mod authors wishes .. and .. well, you get the idea.

I will be opening up threads on all the packs very soon. I welcome constructive commenting in them, and any assistance to making the packs better, will be warmly welcomed.
i didnt try to find an issue i was interested in your position about possible crash, if user decides to add a mod, that greg doesnt like, to unhinged pack.
i did expect FTB team to not care, because after addition of another mods to your pack, it, technically, wont be your pack anymore. turns out you have different position. thank you for clarification :)

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers
if you read the full article, you wont find your definition there. what you`re talking about is nothing more than a conflict in design.

A config conflict in recipes allows a player to proceed in a manner not intended to be simultaneous by both mod designers involved in the conflict. So it's right there in the first sentence.

So by that flawed logic, Factorization ore tripling is an exploit because the IC2 macerator only doubles. And the TE pulverizer is an exploit because it doubles ores and give a percent chance for bonus ore.

So now please explain which mod is correct and how to solve these errors.

You can't. They're recipes not exploits.

Each machine in your example require different recipes to create, operate on different principles, power systems and fuel and have different balancing points with each other. It's not the same kind of comparison as two mods touching the same recipe such as in 1 log = 4 wood or 1 log = 2 wood.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
A config conflict in recipes allows a player to proceed in a manner not intended to be simultaneous by both mod designers involved in the conflict. So it's right there in the first sentence.

Wrong. It allows a player to proceed in a manner that one mod author agrees with. Changing this to suit the other dissatisfies the first.

That just basically means it's a choice of how you want to progress and has nothing to deal with being an exploit.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
so if i rely on your logic, i can say that addition of 1 log=2 plank recipe by greg, is an exploit, because it wasnt intended by Notch.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WOOD. JUST WANTED TO POINT THIS OUT.

YES, IT'S LATE. I SHOULD BE IN BED.

I do realize (even pointed it out pages ago) and I'm amazed that people are so fraught about resolving a config conflict that most of them will never encounter. I've put together mod packs for my own use before so a mod crashing out on me isn't anything new or crazy or anything. It's just a matter of finding and resolving the conflict, usually in configs. Sometimes its not resolvable and something has to go. But eh, you know all this already. Wood, man, jeez. I hope the beta packs continue to stay up, but understand if the mod authors make that impossible.

so if i rely on your logic, i can say that addition of 1 log=2 plank recipe by greg, is an exploit, because it wasnt intended by Notch.

Sure. I never said one or the other was preferable. That is, as always, the choice of the person setting the configs.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019

rKUYnYo.gif

TylorGoldenYoshi

Jul 29, 2019
There are many Mods out there which modify my Stuff
He fails to name any mods that does so. Even if he does name some mods that do, he needs to explain why his problem with TC is not a double-standard.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
He fails to name any mods that does so. Even if he does name some mods that do, he needs to explain why his problem with TC is not a double-standard.

You forget in his mind anything he's modified is his so the original author changing it in someway is modifying his stuff.

Reactions: Loufmier

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Technically, changing what his mod does is modifying his stuff.

Difference is if he's using mod x's machine he doesn't get to dictate how the author of mod x changes it. It is also not modifying his mod as his mod uses theirs, not the reverse.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, Greg's one of the reasons I'm leery of parts of the Minecraft modding community in general. From what I've gathered, he seems to have it in his head that he can do whatever he damn well pleases to any mod he wants. Though, I think Eloraam kicked his ass when he tried to screw around with RedPower, which does mean he can be beaten. Just to let it be known, when its done, he can add to my mod however he likes; he can add new machines, power generation, he can go fuckin hog-wild in that arena and I'd not give a single shit. However, I don't want him screwing with the internal workings of my mod, which includes recipes. If he, or anyone for that matter, thinks something could do with some balance shift either way, they can come to me and suggest it. That's perfectly cool and, honestly, I'd like it.

Greg is pretty much the reason Keep of Metal and Gold, the mod itself, not the package that other modders can use to interface with it, will not be open-source. Yes, I do plan on making a separate "interface package" for it that other modders can utilize to add their own crap and work with its mechanics, but which will be (deliberately) made in such a way that core mechanics can not be changed.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
As a clarification. The Unhinged pack has mods chosen by Gregorious. He picked the mods. I repeat Greg picked the mods. Don't like the mods picked take it up with him. Leave the mod pack team alone they just put the mods he picked together.

Furthermore I am seeing no new discussions on this topic. Y'all have until midnight CST tonight then this thread will be locked and unstickied.

Bob_Sack

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I'm really excited for the new unhinged pack. At the very least it's a playpen for greg to play his way with his rules in and maybe not bother anyone else. You guys at the FTB team are doing a good job, can't wait to try out the new stuff :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
As a clarification. The Unhinged pack has mods chosen by Gregorious. He picked the mods. I repeat Greg picked the mods. Don't like the mods picked take it up with him. Leave the mod pack team alone they just put the mods he picked together.

Furthermore I am seeing no new discussions on this topic. Y'all have until midnight CST tonight then this thread will be locked and unstickied.

Good, about time.

Although I'm afraid there will no doubt be topics popping up everywhere about the Unhinged pack, with usual comments about GregTech and resultant pointless opinions/arguments/discussions that have been done to death soooo many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.