Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainbaobao

Jul 29, 2019
Read more. Greg added code that intentionally crashed the client if you had GregTech and Tinkerer's Construct installed at the same time. The code was removed, but Greg simply won't admit that he did wrong, and he even admitted he'd use innocent bystanders to get his way.

Personally, I don't like GregTech because either the modder's idea of balance is warped, or he's just trying to accomplish it the lazy way out. Sure, he added progression, but the progression is badly implemented, and you end up having to jump through a ridiculous amount of hoops to get almost anything done. Having to grind for days or even weeks for a simple machine just for a few blocks to finish building a house doesn't feel rewarding at all.

He didn't remove the code, only removed the "trigger".

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Things would not have run without issue without the crash. The wood recipe would be wrong and exploitable

There is no "wrong" recipe. Seriously, neither you nor Greg get to define words as you want. The game ran just fine, until Greg decided to specifically make changes that intentionally crashed the game.

Reactions: Daemonblue

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1ilmq3/gregtech_alternative_wip/

This one from the FTB subreddit seems to have got the ball rolling. There's already an official GIT and everything. Yes, it's open source! None of that malicious crash code, guaranteed. :)

o_O
I like this, If it were able to replace IC2/GregTech and avoid all the baggage that comes along with it that would be awesome. Having a fully integrated MJ system that includes a lot more machines and power generation types would be so much better than having to fiddle about with two separate energy systems that do not scale well.

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a take/leave GT normally but that time has passed. That a programmer would purposefully crash a computer/game over a petty argument is beyond my comprehension. If he is willing to do that what else is he willing to do? As a programmer, Greg has shown me that he cannot be trusted and IMHO lacks professional ethics.

Reactions: Flipz

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Let's turn this around. If this is the case, why is a wood nerf necessary?
Possibly for the same reason terrafirmacraft does anything the way it does. Honestly I see that being the general direction Greg is going with his mod except in an obviously more technical fashion. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with Greg doing it that way if he enjoys it.[DOUBLEPOST=1374284174][/DOUBLEPOST]
There is no "wrong" recipe. Seriously, neither you nor Greg get to define words as you want. The game ran just fine, until Greg decided to specifically make changes that intentionally crashed the game.

Actually he does get to define the right/wrong recipe, being a modder; just like Tinker's Construct can also define the right/wrong recipe. Very easy, very simple to change when there is a config option if you run into a conflict with another mod. Greg is very good about having those options available. The game is not running fine if there's a cross mod exploit.

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
That's wonderful! Isn't that one of the people that made MCPC?

Possibly for the same reason terrafirmacraft does anything the way it does. Honestly I see that being the general direction Greg is going with his mod except in an obviously more technical fashion. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with Greg doing it that way if he enjoys it.

As long as we can get another mod in such as Atomic Science and others like it that add the same or similar aspects that GregTech/IC2 do i see no problem with his mod being quarantined to its own pack.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
No, I define it for my game, no other. There was nothing wrong until Greg decided to modify things to intentionally crash the game.

So, given the choice, you'd rather have an exploit available or potential world breaking?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
As long as we can get another mod in such as Atomic Science and others like it that add the same or similar aspects that GregTech/IC2 do i see no problem with his mod being quarantined to its own pack.

I could not agree more! The only problem with such a thing happening is that most UE mods like atomic science have really shit documentation and it'd be hard for people to figure it out.

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
I could not agree more! The only problem with such a thing happening is that most UE mods like atomic science have really shit documentation and it'd be hard for people to figure it out.

1. GregTech documentation is not really anything spectacular.
2. Lack of documentation can generally be fixed quickly, especially as a mod becomes more popular.

Deathshroud09

Jul 29, 2019
With the changes to the forum rules, http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/new-forum-rule.26666/#post-358880
I would advise you all to go check them before any more comments as now this entire topic is in breach of it, guess the ban hammer will get plenty of use, meh I'll most likely be hit by one of its swings petty soon I guess, in case I dont get a chance, nice knowing you guys n gals pz.

Trying to bring the discussion into a more productive stance at the moment, i would like it if the community would halt the bickering and maybe look to the future.

Reactions: Flipz and Jadedcat

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't suggest interpreting the rules. Leave that to us mods please. Also, while there are some borderline posts in here we are not making it retroactive. Discussions of opposite views are allowed. Just don't attack each other. And no you don't get to decide what is "attacking" the mods do.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Well here I was checking on news for FTB and 1.6 and I run across this thread. I didn't read each and all of these posts only a select few. I am just going to give an opinion of an avid FTB player that enjoys playing games.

Gregtech with all its changes in 1.4.7 did nothing for me but utterly make me enjoy the game more. It gave me more of a progression, forced me to use some mods that I probably wouldn't have and simply made the game longevity better and longer. Is this bad? In my opinion no, but for some people who enjoyed jumping right to end game or having very little progression at all may beg to differ.

I for one understand if some people are angry if someone intentionally broke a pack or made another mod obsolete, but I for one just say I highly doubt someone intentionally broke anything and I vote to keep the mod in and I for one hopes it makes things at end game even harder. If you want someone easy just go play vanilla....

Mine long and mine deep!
Redlotus99

You doubt it? So mDiyo's lying?

Okay, if the evidence isn't enough, how about the fact that Greg has not only admitted to it, but bragged about crashing the game being an "effective method"?

malice936

Jul 29, 2019
o.0 Wow all the rage here today. At any rate the GregTech pack is intended to be absolutely Unhinged and should prove to be difficult enough for anyone (I should know I built and tested it). At any rate I PERSONALLY don't like GregTech much because the way it makes the game "balanced" seems more like busy work, than an actual challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.