Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
why does this sound so familiar to the self-destruct code from forestry long ago...? I have a community that doesn't want to play FTB without either gregtech or TE really, so greg would just have to keep his sub-mod compatible or his newer features simply wont see the light of day, in a nutshell.

I don't have disrespect for any of the mod devs, one has one idea, another has another and these things will happen occasionally...

Reactions: brainbaobao

brainbaobao

Jul 29, 2019
bhblacky said:
why does greg's mod need to nerf things? why not just create new items and recipies for his items?
i mean, i like a few machines especially creating eu from a lightning source. but this all would be possible without nerfing the vanialla features and from other mods.
in my understandding, the point of gregtech is to lengthen gameplay. mild nerfing does help a lot, but you do have a point.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
why does this sound so familiar to the self-destruct code from forestry long ago...? I have a community that doesn't want to play FTB without either gregtech or TE really, so greg would just have to keep his sub-mod compatible or his newer features simply wont see the light of day, in a nutshell.

I don't have disrespect for any of the mod devs, one has one idea, another has another and these things will happen occasionally...

I don't know why it sounds like that because it's nothing like that. Also this is between GT and TC, not GT and TE.

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
And what, might I ask, gives Greg the right to decide what is an exploit and what isn't above any other mod maker? Or for that matter, the server owners, or heck, even the person playing single-player?
Exact same right that is given him to write a mod in the first place. Basically no one can dictate what any modder does or doesn't do.
Just wondering, but which versions of Gregtech and Tinkers Construct don't work together? I'm currently running Gregtech 3.09g and Tinkers Construct 1.3.6.7, and there doesn’t seem to be any problem between them
The incompatible versions existed as downloads for less than 20 hours.
and with good reason, railcraft alters things so that it is easier to add functionality, not altering things just to make it harder.
You are basically saying that buffing things is good, nerfing is bad and no one should ever do it.

Also people completely missed my point about all mods altering vanilla. E.g if you have a quantum suit there is no reason to ever use diamond armor.
Hoho, you say he only changes IC2, Quarry, and Vanilla. The problem with that is that every single mod relies on vanilla recipes for balance
And that's exactly why he added config options for tweaking them as users/modpack authors want.
I installed Gregtech as an IC2 addon, not a total conversion.
Then you have missed the part where GT has in fact turned into a total conversion of IC2. It didn't happen immediately, of course, but it has happened over time.
Correction, he had a 0.9 candidate read, but then Greg decided he wanted to cause the client to crash, this was before mDiyo decided to put the denerf back and make it configurable.
Making it configurable was added by mDyio MUCH later down the line, long after greg had pulled his code.
My point is that railcraft changing vanilla recipes has a good reason, whereas gregtech does not.
Just because you don't understand the reasons doesn't mean there is none.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
in my understandding, the point of gregtech is to lengthen gameplay. mild nerfing does help a lot, but you do have a point.

Tedious busywork is by far one of the worst possible choices for lengthening gameplay, instead of making people spend more time doing the same task over and over you should be adding more reasons for people to want to play the game longer, making people spend twice as much time grinding on random encounters would certainly make a Final Fantasy game longer, but it would also make the game a lot less fun because you'd much rather be advancing the plot, but you can't do that because you have to spend several hours grinding in order to move onto the next area without being slaughtered.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
My point is that railcraft changing vanilla recipes has a good reason, whereas gregtech does not.
i do understand what you`re trying to say, but it doesnt matter, now. because intentions behind the change doesnt mean there was no change. its not about quality of change, its about of change as event that happened.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Making it configurable was added by mDyio MUCH later down the line, long after greg had pulled his code.

Yes, that's the point, mDiyo readding the denerf with a config option came much later and has nothing to do with the fact that the 0.9 release had to be delayed because of Greg and his temper tantrum.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Also people completely missed my point about all mods altering vanilla. E.g if you have a quantum suit there is no reason to ever use diamond armor.
what a stupid thing to say. you simply dont understand difference between addition and change, yet you try to prove a some sort of a point? get lost.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Tedious busywork is by far one of the worst possible choices for lengthening gameplay, instead of making people spend more time doing the same task over and over you should be adding more reasons for people to want to play the game longer, making people spend twice as much time grinding on random encounters would certainly make a Final Fantasy game longer, but it would also make the game a lot less fun because you'd much rather be advancing the plot, but you can't do that because you have to spend several hours grinding in order to move onto the next area without being slaughtered.

GT is not tedious though.. not in my opinion atleast.

brainbaobao

Jul 29, 2019
Hoho said:
You are basically saying that buffing things is good, nerfing is bad and no one should ever do it.
I may have illustrated a little less than i would have preferred. In my later reply, I say in order to lengthen gameplay, mildly nerfing items and recipe outputs is a good way. Please don't cherrypick my words as to prove your point.

Another thing, it seems that you support greg nerfing things extremely, you seem to support greg force-crashing the game, you seem to support him not giving a s**t about ftb criticizing him, you seem oblivious to the fact, that the majority of gregtech users are from ftb. Is this your point of view or is it just my misunderstanding?

Hoho said:
Just because you don't understand the reasons doesn't mean there is none.
pray tell what are the reasons. It is illogical to nerf something that most people try to get rid of the quickest. It also is illogical to make the beginning of the game incredibly hard to play and amazingly tedious. If you think there are reasons, please illustrate further. GregoriusT has not commented on the reason of the nerf, leading to inferences that he is trying to force players to use the sawmill.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Code2501

Jul 29, 2019
My view, Gregtech as a mod pack is content poor and largely just modifies existing packs for personal preferences.
Its never added anything to my personal game-play except replacing intended mod functions with grind, and just hinders my enjoyment of several perfectly fine mods like forestry.
I hope that Slowpoke removes it from Ultimate so I can enjoy the variety of wonderful mods it contains without ever worrying about my server admins having to deal with another coded tantrum.
I also hope the mind-crackers finally stop whingeing about GT and just remove the mod from their otherwise enjoyable collection.

The mod author is not someone I can be bothered commenting on, his actions speak for themselves.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's great that GT makes his mod harder so people that want an easier game will stay away from GT servers.

There's nothing harder about Gregtech, the Gregtech experience as it is now boils down to 1: Spend an obscene amount of time gathering basic resources because Greg nerfed Minecraft at the most basic level possible, 2: craft magic box, 3: use magic box to craft other magic box, 4: use other magic box to craft yet another magic box, etc.

Reactions: lolpierandom

Code2501

Jul 29, 2019
There's nothing harder about Gregtech, the Gregtech experience as it is now boils down to 1: Spend an obscene amount of time gathering basic resources because Greg nerfed Minecraft at the most basic level possible, 2: craft magic box, 3: use magic box to craft other magic box, 4: use other magic box to craft yet another magic box, etc.

I agree, if GT was about hard core play it would have more code dedicated to improving mob AI and other survival features and less code dedicated to crashing users clients.

Reactions: tehBlobLord

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing, it seems that you support greg nerfing things extremely, you seem to support greg force-crashing the game, you seem to support him not giving a s**t about ftb criticizing him, you seem oblivious to the fact, that the majority of gregtech users are from ftb. Is this your point of view or is it just my misunderstanding?
1) I support the nerfs
2) I've never supported the crashing
3) I understand why he doesn't care about FTB users
4) I assume this but as we have zero data about it we can't be sure

I should also reiterate that greg mainly makes the mod for having fun in MC himself. He just is kind enough to have others play with it as well.

Hope this clarifies things.
pray tell what are the reasons. It is illogical to nerf something that most people try to get rid of the quickest. It also is illogical to make the beginning of the game incredibly hard to play and amazingly tedious. If you think there are reasons, please illustrate further.
I have done it in the tedium vs difficulty thread but I can paste it here too:
What do you do for gathering resources? For me in early game it means cave exploring. Having to explore a dangerous world for more time to get to state where it isn't as dangerous any more most definitely increases the difficulty of playing. In a non-gt modpack all you need is one trip to a cave to get enough stuff to set up fully automated mining and never to return there again.
what a stupid thing to say. you simply dont understand difference between addition and change, yet you try to prove a some sort of a point? get lost.
And you completely miss the point of analogues :)

FrankieTheSnake

Jul 29, 2019
It's not just this, apologies for dropping my civility for a moment but calling this a mistake is a gross understatement, fuck up of Greg's. I've been strongly considering dropping Greg like a bad habit for a while now, his nerfs have grown increasingly ridiculous and his nerf to wood and tools had me just about ready to wash my hands of Greg and his mod, and then he goes and throws a tantrum like a petulant child whose daddy never said "No." to him when mDiyo dared to do to him what he's been doing to everyone else for a while and that sealed the deal.

I can imagine greg is a douchebag sometimes, but honestly you said you didn't like the nerves, configs exist for unnerving the nerves (except the tin buckets and bronze) I say, forget what's happend and let's start again, if you want an apology, ask him one on IRC...

Brysett

Jul 29, 2019
I had to register just to voice my opinion on the matter.

I haven't played with Tinkers Construct yet, so I cannot say if I like it or not.
I liked Gregtech. I liked the new machines added and I even liked some of the changed recipes. Or in other words. I liked the extra challenge GT gives.
Now with that said.

I cannot condone Greg deliberately crashing Minecraft because he didn't get HIS way. That is just NOT ok (it may in fact even be illegal) .
In my opinion Gregtech should be excluded from any future FTB packs, since Greg already showed that he is ready to do bad things to get his way.
He may have undone his malicious code, but who knows when he will do it again?

I will not be playing with GT any further. If it is in a FTB pack that I happen to like it will be deactivated. I do not want to risk (how ever small that risk might be) to be running in to any problems at any point just because Greg feels like it.

Greg. You lost one of your player-base (not that you care from what I read).

Reactions: tehBlobLord
Status
Not open for further replies.