Good Computer For FTB Packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Well I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread on computer spec suggestions for users playing FTB seeking to get a new computer or upgrade their current computer. I myself am going to buy a computer soon and I was wondering if the specs I have chosen are good for FTB.

Here is my computer i am thinking of getting, Please criticize this.
(I decided to use ibuypower.com)

CASE: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black)
4704-sm.png

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790K (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) With Intel Performance Tuning Protection and 10% Overclock
intel-4th-i7-logo-sm.png

CPU COOLING: NZXT Kraken X40 Liquid Cooling System, W/ 140MM Radiator and Copper Plate
Kraken_X40-grid.png

MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1866 Memory Module

Vengeance-8GB-4x2-grid.png

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB
NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-770---2GB.png

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97-C -- 2 PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0
ASUS-Z97-C--sm.png

PSU: 600 Watt - Corsair CX600 V2 - 80 Plus Bronze
CX600-sm.png

PRIMARY HARD DRIVE (SSD): 128GB ADATA SP900 SSD - Read: 550Mb/s ; Write: 520Mb/s
128SP900-s1.png

SECONDARY DRIVE (Storage HDD): Any 1TB Hard Drive
3terabyte-bg-sata3-sm.png

CD DRIVE: An "OK" CD Drive
LG-GSA-H55N_80x120.png

OPERATING SYSTEM: This depends on the user but i picked Windows 7 Home (I recommend windows 7)
Win7P-sm.png

KEYBOARD: Of your choice
5222-sm.png

MOUSE: Of your choice
6219-sm.png

HEADSET: Of your choice
turtle-beach-z22-sm.png

MONITOR: Of your choice, I suggest a 1080x1920 60Hz Monitor
27MP34HQ-B-monitor-sm.png

SPEAKERS: If you hate headphones
5322-sm.png

WIRELESS NETWORK ADAPTER: If you hate LAN or just dont have access to one
6184-sm.png

Current Price: $1682.00
Shipping: Standard Ground Shipping to New Jersey: $75.00
TOTAL: $1757.00

So those are my thoughts on a good FTB computer and the computer i would like to buy in the near feature. So please suggest things and i will edit them or take them into consideration :D Thanks!

Last edited:

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
This PC is very unbalanced. When it comes to gaming PCs the GPU is usually stronger then the CPU. In this build the CPU is sooooo much stronger then the GPU which is outrageous. I would get a GTX 970 and an i5 4690k instead. Also, do not get a USB network adapter. Get a PCi-E network adapter which is cheaper and faster.

ALSO, I BUY POWER IS A SCAM! WHY PAY THEM 500 EXTRA DOLLARS FOR THEM TO CONNECT A FEW WIRES. I am a huge guy against Pre-Built PCs from big companies. I would ask some friends and see if they know a person who would help build the PC with you. You can also build your own PC which isn't very hard. EVIDENCE:

I know I myself and other people will build a PC for someone on the internet and then ship it to them. All I would ask for if I did this for you would be shipping prices and a $50 dollar build fee.

Reactions: Yulife

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
This PC is very unbalanced. When it comes to gaming PCs the GPU is usually stronger then the CPU. In this build the CPU is sooooo much stronger then the GPU which is outrageous. I would get a GTX 970 and an i5 4690k instead. Also, do not get a USB network adapter. Get a PCi-E network adapter which is cheaper and faster.

ALSO, I BUY POWER IS A SCAM! WHY PAY THEM 500 EXTRA DOLLARS FOR THEM TO CONNECT A FEW WIRES. I am a huge guy against Pre-Built PCs from big companies. I would ask some friends and see if they know a person who would help build the PC with you. You can also build your own PC which isn't very hard. EVIDENCE:

I know I myself and other people will build a PC for someone on the internet and then ship it to them. All I would ask for if I did this for you would be shipping prices and a $50 dollar build fee.
I know how to build a computer, I have a good FTB computer right now its just i want to try out a computer from i buy power, I want a computer that will play minecraft and FTB at high fps and i dont want to spend alot of money at most $1700
And thanks for the offer

Last edited:

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
And I only play minecraft I dont care about games that use graphics cards

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Also the only thing I care about is having a computer that can run a big ftb pack with no lag ie 60-100+ fps

Sent from my flux armor using the tappatalk app from the flux store

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Why on earth would you put a GTX 970 in a PC for minecraft?

No seriously. Why?

@Christophernjsp /critique on

The build itself isn't terrible, but some of your support hardware is questionable. My only gripes are the cpu, the cooler, the PSU, the memory, and the SSD. If one is spending $300 on just the cpu, they should want the best of everything else too, imo.
-The CPU is more than adequate, but why get a K variant if you have no plans on overclocking? I only assume you have no plans to overclock because of the memory you've chosen.

-If you do plan on overclocking, make sure you use good memory, and a better mobo. Yours you've chosen has 6 or 8 phase PWM, which is good news for overclocking, but gigabyte doesn't make the best choices when it comes to support components. Their capacitors are junk. For overclocking I'd recommend the EVGA z97 classified. Yeah it's expensive, but it's a great board. Back to memory for a second. The big reason higher clocked memory are a bonus is because you can underclock your memory to a lower frequency, and tighten your timings up. 2400 memory running at 1600 can be run at much tighter timings without increasing your vdimm.

-As for a PSU, I would recommend something with a gold certification at the very minimum. For overclocking, I'd go with something a bit higher amperage on the +12v rail as well. I think that one has 40a or less, you want at least 50 for overclocking and all your added hardware.

-The cpu cooler is just throwing good money after bad imo, those small self contained kits are poorly designed, and basically junk. Air cooling is just fine, especially if you live in a mild climate or have a/c. I always suggest air cooling unless a person plans on pushing your hardware past it's limits, and even then, a custom water loop will always win over one of these cobbled together monstrosities. For everything else there's the Noctua DH-14.

-The SSD is "ok" but you should do your research. There are better performing SSD's on the market.

-This may seem a bit nitpicky, but not all keyboards are created equally. You really should look for something with mechanical switches. There are many different types, and everybody has their preference. Mine is the Cherry MX Brown variety.

Reactions: Chaka

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
The GPU can really boost preformance. If he has a 1700 DOLLAR BUDGET he cna afford an i7 and a 970.

Also all of this

-If you do plan on overclocking, make sure you use good memory, and a better mobo. Yours you've chosen has 6 or 8 phase PWM, which is good news for overclocking, but gigabyte doesn't make the best choices when it comes to support components. Their capacitors are junk. For overclocking I'd recommend the EVGA z97 classified. Yeah it's expensive, but it's a great board. Back to memory for a second. The big reason higher clocked memory are a bonus is because you can underclock your memory to a lower frequency, and tighten your timings up. 2400 memory running at 1600 can be run at much tighter timings without increasing your vdimm.

-As for a PSU, I would recommend something with a gold certification at the very minimum. For overclocking, I'd go with something a bit higher amperage on the +12v rail as well. I think that one has 40a or less, you want at least 50 for overclocking and all your added hardware.

-The cpu cooler is just throwing good money after bad imo, those small self contained kits are poorly designed, and basically junk. Air cooling is just fine, especially if you live in a mild climate or have a/c. I always suggest air cooling unless a person plans on pushing your hardware past it's limits, and even then, a custom water loop will always win over one of these cobbled together monstrosities. For everything else there's the Noctua DH-14.

-The SSD is "ok" but you should do your research. There are better performing SSD's on the market.

-This may seem a bit nitpicky, but not all keyboards are created equally. You really should look for something with mechanical switches. There are many different types, and everybody has their preference. Mine is the Cherry MX Brown variety.

I agree with. Nice explanations @midi_sec

He should at least get a GTX 770. A 760 is just to slow for most games, including Minecraft.

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
Or a R9 280/280X I own one and it maxes out Minecraft. That GPU is also paired with a Pentium G3258 which is a slow CPU and still runs MC amazingly.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
The GPU can really boost preformance. If he has a 1700 DOLLAR BUDGET he cna afford an i7 and a 970.

Also all of this

I agree with. Nice explanations @midi_sec

He should at least get a GTX 770. A 760 is just to slow for most games, including Minecraft.
I apologize if I'm coming off as disagreeable, but this is also false. but you do get bonus points for knowing who Ducky is. :)

The machine I play minecraft on is 7 year old hardware (Q9400, 8gb ram) with a GTX 550ti. and I see the 60-100fps OP is looking for in large packs. Minecraft is just not a GPU intensive game. The only reason I would recommend even a 770 is if OP plans on playing other games. Like, there is no reason OP's machine as configured wouldn't play Witcher 3 on high (maybe not Max, but High), when it's released.

If I were building an overclocked gaming PC for somebody today, it would look something like this. Haswells are just brilliant for overclocking. The build as configured will overclock to 4.6-4.8ghz minimum. 5ghz if you're lucky and get a primo stepping. Add a nice water cooling loop and it's game on, sky is the limit, crank that vcore up and go. For a non overclocking rig, it still doesn't get much cheaper. I only use good sh.

The bad news about these builds, or any current "good" processor, is that Broadwell's life cycle has been shortened by the delays Intel saw in manufacturing it. Skylake release is imminent. If you buy now, prices will drop on current hardware, and then buyers remorse. If I were building a PC for myself, I would definitely wait until Skylake launches and either take advantage of the price drop, or hop on the new socket/ddr4 bandwagon.

And it beats many couple hundred dollar processors in single thread performance.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
This. As long as Minecraft is still single threaded, This.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I would ask some friends and see if they know a person who would help build the PC with you. You can also build your own PC which isn't very hard. EVIDENCE:

I guess its time for a new PC when launching FTB allows you to watch the whole video while the game loads.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry for not replying i was working, Here are some changes i made
  • Intel Core i7-4790 (No K)(Not Overclocking)
  • I decided to get a prebuilt computer for the heck of it so, I'm using the best cooler they have to offer NZXt Kraken X40
  • I changed to Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1866 Memory Module
  • I changed the card to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB
  • MOBO ASUS Z97-C -- 2 PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0
I plan on being able to play something like Monster while running a monster server and still get about 60FPS, Is this possible with these changes?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for not replying i was working, Here are some changes i made
  • Intel Core i7-4790 (No K)(Not Overclocking)
  • I decided to get a prebuilt computer for the heck of it so, I'm using the best cooler they have to offer NZXt Kraken X40
  • I changed to Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1866 Memory Module
  • I changed the card to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB
  • MOBO ASUS Z97-C -- 2 PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0
I plan on being able to play something like Monster while running a monster server and still get about 60FPS, Is this possible with these changes?
Theoretically yes. You would be limited on the number of people you can host and still maintain playability, though.

I'm still firmly in the build-it-yourself camp. You can get a much nicer rig if you do the work. If you build it yourself, there really isn't much price difference between the 4790 and the 4790k, so may as well get the extra clockspeed imo.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Theoretically yes. You would be limited on the number of people you can host and still maintain playability, though.

I'm still firmly in the build-it-yourself camp. You can get a much nicer rig if you do the work. If you build it yourself, there really isn't much price difference between the 4790 and the 4790k, so may as well get the extra clockspeed imo.

Thanks, I aswell am a fan of building a PC but I wanted to try out a decent prebuilt pc

• Changed back to 4790K

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if I'm coming off as disagreeable, but this is also false. but you do get bonus points for knowing who Ducky is. :)

The machine I play minecraft on is 7 year old hardware (Q9400, 8gb ram) with a GTX 550ti. and I see the 60-100fps OP is looking for in large packs. Minecraft is just not a GPU intensive game. The only reason I would recommend even a 770 is if OP plans on playing other games. Like, there is no reason OP's machine as configured wouldn't play Witcher 3 on high (maybe not Max, but High), when it's released.

If I were building an overclocked gaming PC for somebody today, it would look something like this. Haswells are just brilliant for overclocking. The build as configured will overclock to 4.6-4.8ghz minimum. 5ghz if you're lucky and get a primo stepping. Add a nice water cooling loop and it's game on, sky is the limit, crank that vcore up and go. For a non overclocking rig, it still doesn't get much cheaper. I only use good sh.

The bad news about these builds, or any current "good" processor, is that Broadwell's life cycle has been shortened by the delays Intel saw in manufacturing it. Skylake release is imminent. If you buy now, prices will drop on current hardware, and then buyers remorse. If I were building a PC for myself, I would definitely wait until Skylake launches and either take advantage of the price drop, or hop on the new socket/ddr4 bandwagon.

This. As long as Minecraft is still single threaded, This.
I was just looking up the benches on the q9400. The g3258 stomps it into the ground as far as single thread performance goes. 0.o