Geostrata baffling me.

Putzaroo

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a spot that has the new decorative block recipes for geostrata?... I have only been able to discover three

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Is there a spot that has the new decorative block recipes for geostrata?... I have only been able to discover three
As with nearly any other mod, type "@mod.geostrata", sans quotation marks, into the NEI search box, mouse over the desired item and press "r" to see the recipe.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
NEI is your friend.

As with nearly any other mod, type "@mod.geostrata", sans quotation marks, into the NEI search box, mouse over the desired item and press "r" to see the recipe.

In my experience, the @Mod part has never been necessary.

Reactions: Padfoote

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
NEI is your friend.

In my experience, the @Mod part has never been necessary.

It's necessary if WAILA is also not installed. WAILA adds a "mod" tag to every tool tip that bypasses the need for @mod. (unless CB changed something I am unaware of. His lack of changelogs bothers me.)

lukethedude

Jul 29, 2019
Done. You like?
ZaGj2T6.png
What about a block with connecting textures. I love the stone in chisel that does that. Just adds a certain feeling of classy.

Kyte Leingod

Jul 29, 2019
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't been able to find out anything about the crystal blooms other than their recipe. Can they be used to farm crystal shards, or do they only yield additional seeds of the same color?

Sorry if the answer was right in my face and I missed it, but I do love the mod and appreciate any help that you can give!

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
just so you know make sure you look a the last post. this thread is still relevant so it doesn't matter, though.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't been able to find out anything about the crystal blooms other than their recipe. Can they be used to farm crystal shards, or do they only yield additional seeds of the same color?

Sorry if the answer was right in my face and I missed it, but I do love the mod and appreciate any help that you can give!
For now, the blooms are purely decoration. And they will never drop shards, as ChromatiCraft is going to be exploration-based.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't care if they got rid of it...
I have internally nicknamed the mod "too much cobble" in my head. Frankly 80% of the stone textures are ugly as... well, I can't think of anything ugly enough to go with that analogy. They also fill up my bags in 2 swings of a tinkers hammer. I end up with no space for ore which is compounded when I hit some fabulous fluoride ore...
There's tiling errors thought most of the smooth stone variations. The prime offender is the limestone, that cross pattern you see would get you crucified on the texture pack creator community /exaggeration /nopunintended.
Only the basalt, smooth quartz and opal are serviceable as their texture's basically flat. I'd fix it with a texture pack (if one has made one for the mod) but then I worry about how my builds would look to those not using the pack.

Don't feel too bad though, even Chisel has a few blocks that are a tad iffy, most of the chisel glass looks good until you look at it too close (the edges make the shine marks too obvious). Also it is one out of 3 mods (that I know of) the other two while not my cup of tea I can still tell they are competent well made mods.

Was Geostrata Reika's first mod I wonder?

As for someone mentioning microblock compatibility, umm geostrata blocks could actually be cut if you add their ID's to that microblocks config. You are boned if you are playing on another server though, 90% of server admins are too lazy to tinker with configs for important stuff let alone geostrata blocks.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I wouldn't care if they got rid of it...
I have internally nicknamed the mod "too much cobble" in my head.
Then smelt it. Or shape it.

Frankly 80% of the stone textures are ugly as... well, I can't think of anything ugly enough to go with that analogy. They also fill up my bags in 2 swings of a tinkers hammer. I end up with no space for ore which is compounded when I hit some fabulous fluoride ore...
Then try using that fluorite for reactors rather than complaining about it filling your chests.

There's tiling errors thought most of the smooth stone variations. The prime offender is the limestone, that cross pattern you see would get you crucified on the texture pack creator community /exaggeration /nopunintended.
Because mod dev/coder == artist, right? No.

Was Geostrata Reika's first mod I wonder?
Actually, yes, though not the first released.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Then smelt it. Or shape it.

Then I'd have to rename your mod Too much ugly smooth stone...

Then try using that fluorite for reactors rather than complaining about it filling your chests.

When I'm not using stone tools anymore, maybe. On the interim it's just taking up a lot of inventory space, it's more of a me problem then a you problem. I usually avoid mining it if possible but TIC hammers mine all and they aren't shy about creating a cloud of several different colors of fluride...

Yeah, I understand this lol, but still... why was it included to FTB and on by default when underground biomes wasn't (suffers same problem)? is geostrata tied in to RotaryCraft or ReactorCraft? It just seems odd for FTB to add an asthetic mod that doesn't look good (at least IMO) to the list. I don't think that's your issue though. Also it's probably a taste thing, the server I am on ATM 95% agree that geostrata stone is ugly and annoying but there's one person that can't get enough of your stone, they liked gneiss IIRC.

Actually, yes, though not the first released.
I bet you where just trying your hand at worldgen and the textures where rush jobs? That would explain everything.

All I'm saying is focus on Rotary/Reactorcraft or whatever other project you are working on. While those mods do my head in, I can tell they aren't crap mods.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Please commission an artist then to redo the textures. I have a lot of geostrata cobble sitting in barrels, that I collected intending to use decoratively. But in all my builds ive found the materials too noisy to work with. I don't know how mods make textures like marble look shiny, but the marble needs a bit more shine.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Please commission an artist then to redo the textures. I have a lot of geostrata cobble sitting in barrels, that I collected intending to use decoratively. But in all my builds ive found the materials too noisy to work with. I don't know how mods make textures like marble look shiny, but the marble needs a bit more shine.
Cobble is intended to be noisy.

And bringing in an artist would be a logistical nightmare, even if they did it for free (unlikely). It would screw up all the copyrights, the ToU, the ownership, everything.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
And I thought your last post was blatant.

Also, yes, you are in the minority. Most people are more like this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/20m8xl/redesigned_our_spawn_imagine_living_here/
One poster thought it was chisel... And I think both of us might be suffering from perception bias becasue 95% of the admittedly few people I've seen on servers didn't like geostrata...
Not all of the blocks are ugly, the Basalt is ok and I think I could find a use for your peridot. The rest just clog up my backpack.
That might be the crux of my issue, if a useless block is clogging up my inventory (including expanded ones) it better be the best looking block ever, like unreasonably good. Maybe if I didn't have to make a trip back to my base every min to dump cobble I'd be more fair to Geostrata.

Also about getting artists it's not as big of a nightmare as you think, you could trawl the Minecraft texture pack creator forum for budding talent who tend to do a lot less prestigious work for free. I bet if you showcased some of your textures their OCD would compel them to post textures just to one up you, they are annoying like that, pickier then I was by long shot.
That being said I will agree that it's probably not worth the effort/ time to get one in.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
I play the modpack magic farm and I have added geostrata to it for the extra stones. I'm now in the stage of building my house with smooth Quartz (floor) and (i think) the brick version of marble, as for the corners I choose to use the fancy ones.
When I'm back home I will put a image link, to show what I'm babbling about (here is the album with a front view and back side)
Peridot is the green one?, was thinking about replacing my lawn with this one and around my farms. Those darn sprinklers keep making a mess of my lawn :D

As for the crystals, still in thinking about them. I do really like the looks of them, but some do not do what I was thinking they should do (like getting the nether effect in the overworld). Also tried putting them on the ceiling as a chandelier but the texture wouldn't flip :p. I will have a look again in the config to see what I messed up.

Last edited: