Gendustry vs. Extra Bees

Svangen

Jul 29, 2019
I play with the Yogscast Complete pack, and it has both Gendustry and Extra Bees. I recently started bee breeding and thanks to Gendustry, I've gotten fairly far, but I was wondering which system of genetically modifying bees is better and what are the pros/ cons of each.

Thnx :)

E_DM_B

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry adds the industrial apiary, which is immensely useful for increasing production once you have royal jelly, but requires power. Overall I'd say it is easier to use as well.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I really really love gendustry, I really do, but to be honest, it's a mod which is quite alot easier to use when compared with extra bees...

BUT extra bees/trees/binnie's mods add alot more then just machines. it adds more bees, combs, drops, trees, butterflies and probably more which I don't know about
so for machines I love Gendustry, but I also love Extra Bees... so why not both?

EmKP4Du.jpg

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
True, you could have both, but gendustry is planning on adding do-it-yourself bees as well. Bee doesn't exist yet? no problem, add it to the cofig now you have a bee that creates all the things!

Svangen

Jul 29, 2019
I do have both in the modpack, but I want to start to genetically modify my bees. So I was wondering WHICH GENETIC SYSTEM THING IS BETTER.

Thnx for all the responses though. :)

Svangen

Jul 29, 2019
I mean the genetic system with Gendustry's Genetic Imprinter and Extra Bees's Genepool.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I do have both in the modpack, but I want to start to genetically modify my bees. So I was wondering WHICH GENETIC SYSTEM THING IS BETTER.

Thnx for all the responses though. :)
Define "Better".

If you by better mean quality gameplay, and you actually have patience to see it through, then go for the Extra Bees solution.

If you just want faster, bigger and instant rewards, then go Gendustry.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
True, you could have both, but gendustry is planning on adding do-it-yourself bees as well. Bee doesn't exist yet? no problem, add it to the cofig now you have a bee that creates all the things!

but sadly the developer has halted developement of Gendustry until it becomes clear if Forestry is getting updated properly or not, as the developer doesn't want to spend time developing an addon for a mod that's not getting updated anymore

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry, by far. In terms of genetic manipulation it's about the same, but it also lets you make your own bees with a complete genetic template.
ExtraBees if you prefer gameplay.
Gendustry if you're lazy.
I'd rather skip all gameplay forever if it meant I'd never have to bet on a 10% chance of mutation that only happens once every two minutes again. Soul frames and Uranium in an alveray certainly do help, but the difference the first makes is too small to be noticeable and the latter is really annoying to get when you're in anything close to a hurry.

Then again I guess I'd rather leave my bee rants for another thread.

Reactions: Loufmier and YX33A

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Gendustry, by far. In terms of genetic manipulation it's about the same, but it also lets you make your own bees with a complete genetic template.

sadly that only works with bees :( I tried creating sapplings and butterflies through that method, but because both don't have the same number of traits as bees have the machine just tells you the template is not complete

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I'd rather skip all gameplay forever if it meant I'd never have to bet on a 10% chance of mutation that only happens once every two minutes again. Soul frames and Uranium in an alveray certainly do help, but the difference the first makes is too small to be noticeable and the latter is really annoying to get when you're in anything close to a hurry.

That's exactly it for most people I think: They don't actually want to do Bee breeding at all. They just want to have the resources the bees give them.
But then I just don't get why start on bees at all. There are plenty of other ways of getting resources through means that could be much more interesting in setting up and managing. Like Magical Crops, extremely powerful automated mining etc. But instead they choose to do something they deep down don't want to, and then chop it to pieces, removing the very essence of it.

But then again I might be weird cause I choose to play mods and choose solutions that I enjoy, not which are most OP and give me most resources with least effort/time.

Svangen

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks. That's just the answer I was looking for. Simple and to the point.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. That's just the answer I was looking for. Simple and to the point.
If you want a quick answer next time, use the term "easier" instead of "better". You got your answers way before that reply, you just didn't distill it correctly though all the opinions :)

I'm here to say I'm glad I got to learn something out of this thread. Never knew exactly how extra bees worked, now I know I have to give it a try.

Reactions: rhn

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
I use the Extra Bees for genetic modification as you can prevent ignoble bees from occurring due to modification. Though Gendustry has an upgrade to work with Ignobles indefinitely, the more modifications you make using Gendustry artificial manipulation, the more likely you'll get Ignoble bees. For breeding mutations though I prefer Gendustry as I'm not a fan of the random factor because RNG just LOVES to screw with me.

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
but sadly the developer has halted developement of Gendustry until it becomes clear if Forestry is getting updated properly or not, as the developer doesn't want to spend time developing an addon for a mod that's not getting updated anymore
Yeah, I had read that the other day where he said it. But truth still is, the development path he has in mind once forestry renews OR goes open source is amazing.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Using a serum below excellent quality can induce a trait similar to Ignoble even if it's not labelled as such. Excellent quality removes that risk. The Replicator from BDew on the other hand forces the ignoble trait when used.

Yes, but the replicator is the machine that makes bees from scratch (dna+protein), kinda similar to swarming bees in earlier Forestry versions. The manipulation machine is the imprinter and does not produce ignoble bees from pristine ones.