Gendustry vs. Extra Bees

Shaylyndark

Jul 29, 2019
for me i like to find a balance between the 2
i use extra bees for my pristine bees for breeding related matters making sure i have a species serum for both species i breed then change the queen as needed (queen changes to wrong species splice it back)
new species process first mass produce offspring use them to get all necessary trats in both eb and gend serums are used to make super bees only on my pristine bees while the gend genes are used to make genetic templates of super bees all 13 slots once i have a full template i make a queen from said template(makes ignoble queen) turn my pristine of said to queen and put her away then please see ignoble action

what happens with all ignoble regardless
fertility may be spliced up if it is 2 or 1 then the ignoble is placed in an industrial apiary and breed to death using max lifespan upgrades max pollination and max production some substitutes for making sure bee operates in the environment

server i play on has the mutatron set as a donater only / banned item and i love it

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
That's just what I don't get... >.<
Yes there is a certain amount of randomness involved, but mostly it is a game of patience and intelligent choices. If people don't want to play that game, then why on earth even do bee breeding. There are tons of other mods out there to get your resources from.

I've bred every bee by hand (except for some of the seasonal bees) that was available in 1.5.x. Here is why I will never do it again:

1. Getting unlucky during the common/cultivated/industrious/royal brouhaha can be obnoxious. The worst is trying not to lose speed on your cultivated bees and then getting it moved over to the industrious/royal lines before you have ExtraBees machines available. I almost wept with relief when I randomly got speed on some commons on my "all bees" map.

2. The honey waiting game. Before you can even really *start* bees you have to run apiaries using slow Forest/Meadow bees for *hours* just so you have enough honey to analyze everything. This goes for trees, too. If all you care about is trees, then bothering with slow bees is an irritating step in the process. Plus you want all the traits for speeding up tree breeding.

3. Apiarist's pipes and chunk loading. Those apiarist's pipes caused me to ragequit more than once because they would randomly lose princesses unless I was *extremely* careful about not crossing chunk boundaries with pipes and making sure everything was chunkloaded. Even then I had a crazy issue with logistics pipes on a giant alveary setup that was producing all my resources on a map where I had disabled all quarrying, had no mob farms, etc. It was all bees. For no reason at all (no chunk boundary crossing, the area was in spawn chunks AND had a chunkloader for extra measure) I was constantly losing princesses. (This was before pristine/ignoble was a thing). The ExtraBees machines were so freaking slow that recreating those lost princesses took up a significant chunk of time and a ton of power.

4. The biome game. Having setups going in multiple biomes is an obnoxious mechanic that you have to go through for at least a little while until you can get the alveary biome adjusting blocks set up. And even then you end up spending a decent chunk of time holed up in a wall in the nether listening to "huuuuuuurt yyouooOoooOOO" while wearing an apiarist's suit hoping that your stupid mutation will JUST FREAKING HAPPEN ALREADY. By this point you're already an expert in breeding, and yet your knowledge offers you nothing but the RNG and a few helpful frames to get the process moving along. You should be rewarded by higher chances of mutations for the more difficult bees because you've already done an insane amount of work to get that far. But it never gets easier or better, no matter how good you are or how well you understand the process.

5. The size issue. Alvearies are freaking gigantic. In my all bees map I had multiple floors of alvearies from bedrock to sea level and I could have gone much higher if I wanted to be actively running all the varieties.

And there are tons of reasons to do bee breeding that have nothing to do with resources.

1. Edenic bees. My favorite build ever was an enchanting area that had a floor mostly constructed out of edenic bees in apiaries with all the Biblio book copying stuff set up above it.

2. Tree breeding to get more building blocks and access to the carpentry stuff.

3. Growth effect.

4. Regen effect. (I imagine a regen bee near your blood magic area during the early phase of doing that mod could be a useful thing if you don't have another mod that offers a similar mechanic.

I'm sure there's a lot more... That's just what I could think of off the top of my head.