Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Oooooooooooh! I thought it was crafting lol that's quite cheaty but a good idea...

It's not cheaty at all. This is in fact how I made my very first nether portal and how I thought you were supposed to do it! It was really fun to build the mold then bring the lava in. You could even "start" the portal on the last point by using wool in the frame as part of your molding.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
While I know that luck is luck, I just found a village 50 blocks from spawn that had 3 diamonds and 14 obsidian in the blacksmith chest... nether 10 minutes in the game here we GO!

Reactions: OmegaPython

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I wonder what Applied Energistics' future will be... I haven't seen how rare Quartz is, but he may have to make his mod harder lol.

He's already said. The overworld spawn will become something other than "quartz", being used much as it is now, and the vanilla nether quartz will be used as a new resource in crafting.[DOUBLEPOST=1363230395][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not cheaty at all. This is in fact how I made my very first nether portal and how I thought you were supposed to do it! It was really fun to build the mold then bring the lava in. You could even "start" the portal on the last point by using wool in the frame as part of your molding.

That's how you had to light it in Skyblock 2.0, except using wood instead of wool.[DOUBLEPOST=1363230427][/DOUBLEPOST]
While I know that luck is luck, I just found a village 50 blocks from spawn that had 3 diamonds and 14 obsidian in the blacksmith chest... nether 10 minutes in the game here we GO!

First death, 11 minutes into the game.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget changes on the visible side and buried within the code are completely different animals. After 1.3, most mods were able to update without terribly much trouble but RP2 suffered something on a deep layer that Eloraam took something like 7 months to fix if I recall right.

Which mods will update fast or slow is something to discover only as we go. :)
Elo never made it to 1.3.2

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I really like the update because I do still play vanilla quite a bit, but even with mods its useful. Quartz is really nice for building and the hopper is so much better then Buildcraft's. I like the mapmaking features quite a bit also. Comparators and the dropper are very useful, most of the other stuff is just ok. I don't know much about the future of the mods however, I do know that forge is making it easier for mods to update from here on out (I believe in some cases even automatically) I am however wondering how many mods FTB is gonna eventually have. I dont know if its just me but it seems that the amount of new mods coming out is rapidly increasing. Back in tekkit there were like 40 major tech/magic mods, now theres like 80

Reactions: OmegaPython

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I think 1.5 brings great features to vanilla, and many mods will utilize the new stuff. What I'm interested in is if anything is going to be rebalanced, because and quartz & hoppers & comparators. Comparators are VERY powerful, especially in vanilla, although a lot of people don't realise it. One major thing is the hopper sided inventory stuff. Will this change the way mods use sided inventorys? (output = bottom) Also, I really hope nether quartz is used in various recipes, as it is pretty useless in vanilla IMHO.

EDIT: Just thought of something: IC2 advanced circuits should use quartz instead of glowstone. It is the same type of balance (access to the nether) but makes more sense, as quartz is kinda that 'magical' electronic circuit.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Wha wha wha wha wah???
What is this "mold" you speak of?
Wow dude that's insane. But a mold cast nether portal is quite clever I must say.

Have you guys never played Vanilla?
All the lazy people use this when they can't find diamonds :3

This reminds me of when Direwolf has no idea how to use vanilla mechanics, like his complete misunderstanding of redstone or villager breeding whilst still being a genius at modded stuff xD

Reactions: Jyzarc

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Have you guys never played Vanilla?
All the lazy people use this when they can't find diamonds :3

This reminds me of when Direwolf has no idea how to use vanilla mechanics, like his complete misunderstanding of redstone or villager breeding whilst still being a genius at modded stuff xD
I got into mods back when MC was 1.2.5, and yeah I think villager breeding was in, but it's never something I got into as I find villagers to be one of the worst additions yet (pssst Flowerchild, next mod you make BTV?) any changes since then have largely gone unnoticed by me, cept getting exp for mining... that's the best change Mojang have made recenetly imo.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
1.5 + mods in a nutshell:

Eloraam will update in 1.7, + 200 bugs and 2-3 new features, then disappear again till like 1.9
Thaumcraft will change everything again, also in 1.6 and 1.7, lets see what thaumcraft 10 has to bring us in the future!
IC2 will have the same exact stuff, nothing new as always.
You will need UU matter to craft the matter fabricator.
Instability of mystcraft now might give you viruses on your pc, and to be able to make a stable age, you will need to specify what blocks to use at what Y level, make your own caves and then place them in pages, etc.
Stell in railcraft now will take 1 minecraft day to make, and high speed rails will blow up stronger than never before
200 new species of bees that are just needed to breed other bees
Solar panels now require dragon eggs to make because they are so op
Buildcraft will invent something weird and new, sorta like lasers of the assembly table
Xycoridite will now be as useful as dirt, really good for growing stuff on them, besides storing lava in wooden tanks like is nobody's business, oh, and powering footballs with lasers, thats for sure!
Every FTB modpack will be laggy as hell, as always, even with a NASA computer.
Voxelmap will show you mushroom islands near by, and ever ore in a cave if you choose, or chests, sorta like nodus
you will be able to add everything to a turtle with misc peripherals, hell, shears and tnt...
turtles will cook food... oh wait they already do that... what about kill the wither... they do that too... they will play the game for you!
You will have molten of every item in game and be able to put it in a frame of whatever to make a new TE item
EE will let you exchange cobble for nether stars
Extrabiomes will have 200 more useless biomes so you wont be able to find that extreme hills for emeralds for your tinker table
Modular powersuits now will cook your food, walk for you and kill for you
Portalgun will now require you to be at the farlands, have 200 spawners near by and 29 activated beacons to make 1 gun
Reliquarry will now have 200+ guns like battlefield

(This is a joke, as people might not get it)

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
1.5 + mods in a nutshell:
Xycoridite will still be useless

Your post truly made me laugh, other than this one.
Multi-tanks alone are amazing, and Xycraft also adds the soil, the water, the igniters and a ton of other awesome stuff. And there is a whole lot planned, we are barely in alpha :)
I'm sure you meant it as a joke but Xycraft gets so much stick for being useless when it shaping up to being one of the cooler mods in the pack :D

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Multi-tanks alone are amazing, and Xycraft also adds the soil, the water, the igniters and a ton of other awesome stuff. And there is a whole lot planned, we are barely in alpha :)
I'm sure you meant it as a joke but Xycraft gets so much stick for being useless when it shaping up to being one of the cooler mods in the pack :D

Yeah I saw the new xycraft stuff in dw videos, and I have to admit that the fabricator is quite good, but I'm not a fan of the tanks, is like a cheap better version of the iron one. Lemme change the post

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
We may get a few of the mods updated to 1.5 soonish (the next week or four), but getting ALL of the mods to 1.5, AND getting them all together working well is another task in and of itself.

By the time we see the 1.5 FTB Ultimate release, 1.6 should be around the corner with bug fixes to 1.5, mermaids, pigeons, a new hunger mechanic, no mod API, another partial release of a rework of the graphics engine, and more bugs to be fixed in 1.7.
Man it's like you've been to the future.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Oooooooooooh! I thought it was crafting lol that's quite cheaty but a good idea...

Cheaty? That's how obsidian buildings were created on vanilla survival servers; lava casting. We built a replica of Orthanc that way. It's as old as minecraft is.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
We may get a few of the mods updated to 1.5 soonish (the next week or four), but getting ALL of the mods to 1.5, AND getting them all together working well is another task in and of itself.

By the time we see the 1.5 FTB Ultimate release, 1.6 should be around the corner with bug fixes to 1.5, mermaids, pigeons, a new hunger mechanic, no mod API, another partial release of a rework of the graphics engine, and more bugs to be fixed in 1.7.

they don't add that retarded stuff, they are adding a new mob, and a launcher, and the API is not coming till minecraft is bug free (basically when pigs fly) also, they always are working to fix stuff, when they show like "here, only new thing in the snapshot is this block, enjoy" is when in the background they are fixing like, for example, the dispenser code, or the chunks, like in 1.2

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Elo never made it to 1.3.2
I know. She had so much to fix that she was unable to update until we got well past 1.4, which was relatively minor by comparison on mod damages. :(

I'm just hoping 1.5 is more friendly to an extent for the modders. I know it's a game changer in redstone bits but the code issues themselves may be less problematic. Anyone familiar able to comment on the code aspects and severity of changes though?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If you look at the textures in the xycraft zip file, there's armour sets, and some upgrade items. Definitely a lot more in the pipeline