Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
now that someone comented on 1.5, has anyone heard anything om elooram? i mean anything apart from the 19 of feb post on twitter. And before anyone jumps to conclusions (as usual), this is not to make a flamewar, its actually to know if anyone has heard anything.

/manu

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
now that someone comented on 1.5, has anyone heard anything om elooram?

I doubt it, although I'd assume that she would have seen the incoming update and would be addressing that along with the bug fixes in a 1.5 version of redpower. It wouldn't be logical to do anything else (and we all know how logical people are, right?).

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
witches are an easter egg

Can you provide a source for that? My source is here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Witch with nothing found when I searched for "easter", and the only "egg" find had to do with spawn eggs and dragon eggs.

Witches are as much of a worthless feature as the rest of 'em.

wolves are good for pvp

No, they are not. They're extremely easy to accidentally hit, and even easier to kill. Besides that, does anyone SERIOUSLY PvP in MineCraft? I thought that died out when MineZ stopped being popular, eh?

cats are good for creepers

No, they are not. Creepers will still aggro you if you get within their range. Besides that, they make extremely annoying sounds (yes, I'm not a cat person. I usually remove the sound files for most animals in game because of how annoying they sound), and don't provide any value.

Want to know how to keep creepers away? Place lights around your base and anywhere you don't want them to spawn, and then wall/fence in that area. If a creeper still someone gets in, you did not light/wall it up correctly.

squids are for sky to hate.

Illogical, as I'm sure you know, and an agreement with my post as such.

at least they make more sense than a mermaid or a pigeon.

Mermaid would be another (doubling the) water mob, one that could be underwater villagers (stupid villagers, another failed idea). They could have an entirely different village setup, based upon water economics (fishing, farming kelp, etc), and could sell you specific things (underwater breathing stuff, potions of gills, tridents, fish, etc) in exchange for another stupid mineral because that's surely what Mojang would do (or maybe flowers. I could see flowers being an amusing trading medium).

Pigeons would be used to send signals between two points through the usage of their dung. Specifically, when a redstone signal is applied to a pigeon, they move between one point and another (you set this), and when they stop at the new point they drop a "pigeon drop" which can trigger a wooden pressure plate. Bam, wireless redstone in a disgusting package.

Or use them for messaging, if you'd like. They'd still be better than bats. Mm, that might be a good mod: Better than Bats.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
well, redstone is more stable now... not really much besides the solar detector is better than redpower's.
I fail to see how this is the case... RP's solar detector works on light level, y'know... how real solar detectors work, rather than on time of day.[DOUBLEPOST=1363275696][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mermaid would be another (doubling the) water mob, one that could be underwater villagers (stupid villagers, another failed idea). They could have an entirely different village setup, based upon water economics (fishing, farming kelp, etc), and could sell you specific things (underwater breathing stuff, potions of gills, tridents, fish, etc) in exchange for another stupid mineral because that's surely what Mojang would do (or maybe flowers. I could see flowers being an amusing trading medium)..
That sounds pretty cool to be honest. Pigeons not so much.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds pretty cool to be honest. Pigeons not so much.

Hey now, vanilla MineCraft needs wireless redstone! I'm just putting a Mojang twist on it.

And yeah, mermaids would likely be another of those "grows on you" additions. You know, like a fungus.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
or maybe if they just made villagers not look like walrus' and gave them uses... like you'd see the villager with the ho actively pimping her out farming the fields and replanting, the blacksmith would have an anvil and idk, would take charcoal from somewhere and put it in his furnaces...

just make villages actually useful beyond free shit early game and boring breed/trade mechanics

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
just make villages actually useful beyond free shit early game and boring breed/trade mechanics

Now see, that breaks the entire principle of Mojang's release cycle: They release a new feature that has the ability to be really awesome... And then they forget about it for pretty much the rest of eternity.

That is why I really think they need to stop trying to release new features, and stick to improving old features, and work towards getting the vast majority of mods able to be easily added to MineCraft without all of the fuss surrounding block IDs and conflicts in regards to the base classes.

If they just stick with the "add a few new things, never really do anything else with them again" model, the mod community will continue to surpass anything they can even dream of doing.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Can you provide a source for that? My source is here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Witch with nothing found when I searched for "easter", and the only "egg" find had to do with spawn eggs and dragon eggs.

Witches are as much of a worthless feature as the rest of 'em.

No, they are not. They're extremely easy to accidentally hit, and even easier to kill. Besides that, does anyone SERIOUSLY PvP in MineCraft? I thought that died out when MineZ stopped being popular, eh?

No, they are not. Creepers will still aggro you if you get within their range. Besides that, they make extremely annoying sounds (yes, I'm not a cat person. I usually remove the sound files for most animals in game because of how annoying they sound), and don't provide any value.

Want to know how to keep creepers away? Place lights around your base and anywhere you don't want them to spawn, and then wall/fence in that area. If a creeper still someone gets in, you did not light/wall it up correctly.

Illogical, as I'm sure you know, and an agreement with my post as such.

Mermaid would be another (doubling the) water mob, one that could be underwater villagers (stupid villagers, another failed idea). They could have an entirely different village setup, based upon water economics (fishing, farming kelp, etc), and could sell you specific things (underwater breathing stuff, potions of gills, tridents, fish, etc) in exchange for another stupid mineral because that's surely what Mojang would do (or maybe flowers. I could see flowers being an amusing trading medium).

Pigeons would be used to send signals between two points through the usage of their dung. Specifically, when a redstone signal is applied to a pigeon, they move between one point and another (you set this), and when they stop at the new point they drop a "pigeon drop" which can trigger a wooden pressure plate. Bam, wireless redstone in a disgusting package.

Or use them for messaging, if you'd like. They'd still be better than bats. Mm, that might be a good mod: Better than Bats.

Just because you dislike a mob doesn't mean is worthless.

Guude won UHC 4b because of wolves
Standing on top of a cat will make creepers not atack you (and are good for sorting mobs!)
Easter egg = jungle temples, pyramids, dungeons etc, stuff that when you go in adventure you find

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Just because you dislike a mob doesn't mean is worthless.

It does to me, and my subjective reality is the way I grade worth, ergo it is the only factor that matters in regards to my feelings on worthlessness which it fully qualifies for as such.

Witches could have SO much more, but, instead, they're merely a new way to grind to get glowstone. How fun.

Guude won UHC 4b because of wolves

That's nice. I've seen more of the MindCrack kids play, and I'm surprised they don't all die to dropbears/lava within the first ten minutes of playing. They are entertainers, after all.

Wolves/dogs were added to MineCraft because Notch's "idol" wanted them. They were never fleshed out. Look at Mo Creature's mod for mobs that have been properly fleshed out.

Standing on top of a cat will make creepers not atack you (and are good for sorting mobs!)

Why do you need to sort creepers away from everything else? Kill them, and sort their loot. Besides that, being forced to stand on a cat (which is going to be meowing the entire time) is a pretty horrible usage of said cats.

Cats are pretty much as useless/useful as cats are offline, so there may not be anything else you can do in this regard except perhaps give us the ability to build an "Animal Shelter" item that'd allow us to donate cats to a loving home. Or use them for fuel in a furnace. I'm ok with either of those.

Easter egg = jungle temples, pyramids, dungeons etc, stuff that when you go in adventure you find

That is not what "easter egg" means. Easter eggs are an intentionally hidden feature, not something that you find on an adventure. I think you should think about reviewing this article before replying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media)

atmosphere

To expand on this, taking the literal meaning first, the "atmosphere" of the MineCraft world is just air blocks. That is something that likely won't ever be changed as you're only going a few hundred meters up and down normally, so it doesn't make sense to deal with air density and the like.

Dealing with your figurative meaning, witches/squid/dogs/cats/etc add atmosphere? Maybe if you've never seen the things you can get via mods. I suggest reviewing the Mo Creature mod as well as Atmosmobs if you want REAL atmosphere. After playing a world with either (or both, you crazy goat!) of those mods enabled, you'll never be able to call vanilla's horrible attempt at "atmosphere" as much, again.

I'm glad you agree!

Clouds are a single system that never change (storms hide them behind fog, I think. I wouldn't know, though, as I disabled clouds via OptiFine a long time ago, and haven't looked back as they're horrible), always going in the same direction. What is this, Steve King's "The Dark Tower"'s beam path? I'm not a gunslinger (not yet at least, I've yet to get into XR's handguns) so don't give me none of that silliness.

Again, I'm glad that we agree.

Expanding on this literally first, "dirt" is fairly limited, but at this level of simulation I don't think much else can be done to really deal with that.

To expand on it in regards to dirt meaning "underground materials", you need to try "underground biomes" to understand how horrible vanilla's underground material situation is. Underground biomes is such a small change, but adding it makes the entire world feel a great deal more interesting.

Glad we agree, again.

Yeah, lakes are not very well thought out. one of the worst factors in regards to lakes is the lack of logic in placement. Hey, let's have lakes all over the place in the desert! Besides that, they're also pretty much all designed in the same manner, and as such all you're going to think when you hit one is "Oh, wonderful, another lake".

In regards to above ground seas, they are not fairly logically designed, but the spawning of the world is designed to give you small islands with large oceans it seems, so it goes as such.

Glad we agree, again.

Indeed, trees are not very well thought out. At least we've got planks from each wood, but they're still fairly lacking. Not as badly as some of the other features, as they've been in long enough that they keep getting some attention every now and again, but look at mods to see how trees can be done.

Glad we agree, again.

Yup, caves are not very well designed as well. They're just randomized tunnels in the ground, as opposed to geological features. They also LACK geological features that you'd expect to see, and have features that don't make much sense (ravines, for example).

Glad we agree, again.

Indeed, and that's a whole kettle of fish of another story's color, as villagers are only useful when you're dealing with modded MineCraft (and then, only for MystCraft currently).

Glad we agree, again.

Yeah, the sun and moon are both poorly designed, but they're also such small factors in the game that it's understandable that they wouldn't add other things to it. At least the moon now has phases, right?

Glad we agree, again.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry, did you just insult the Mindcrack people?

No need to be sorry about it, and it's not an insult: It is an observation. The vast majority of "Let's Play"ers on Youtube are entertainers that play to entertain their audience. Take that for what you will, but as you appear to have an emotional attachment to them, I suggest you avoid taking it beyond the scope of civil discussion. You're free to PM me any hate mail you'd like to send over my way, and I'll make sure to not read it as such. Thanks!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
So that you can get a skeleton to kill them, and take their records?

Ah, that's a good point. I've only ever played around with a record factory (fully manually), and that was a factor that was decently bothersome.

On the flip side, that appears to be a feature-by-accident in the design of them. But still, useful if you are playing vanilla MineCraft, and want to farm out the records. Modded MineCraft beats that easily and completely, utterly so.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
On the flip side, that appears to be a feature-by-accident in the design of them. But still, useful if you are playing vanilla MineCraft, and want to farm out the records. Modded MineCraft beats that easily and completely, utterly so.
Oh I didn't know there was another way to get records. How?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I didn't know there was another way to get records. How?

Dungeon loot, which is extremely common. In context, though, I was talking about how modded MineCraft would allow you to sort enemies (soul shards are the easiest example, MineFactoryReloaded is another one that I've yet to even try myself) for such things.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right. Gotcha. What you really want, though, is a Mob Detector Gravity Gun Turtle though, admit it.

Mob detector for redstone output to the gravity gun turtle... Yeah, that could work. Horribly, most likely, but it'd be worth trying!