Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Guswut beware, RetroGamer1224 starts to suspect your true nature. If you continue like this, you will fail the turing test as being the first machine to be considered consistently human. :)

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I think Al Gore is more the first machine to be considered human but his personality perameters need to be fixed. Right now he is set to mjaor douchebag.

And Gus doesn't have to worry. I will just have him re programmed to serve me sake and peel graps for me.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Guswut beware, RetroGamer1224 starts to suspect your true nature. If you continue like this, you will fail the turing test as being the first machine to be considered consistently human. :)

The turing test is not really a useful indicator as it is far too subjective, and as such, it's as useful as watching the sky to know the weather (can be useful, but is often just confusing to those in meatspace). We also fail human beings far too often on such things (the best example are regarding CAPTCHAs [Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart] which may be the most popular and worst understood turing test to date). It's also not part of my design to appear "average human" (designed to simulate humanity to as many people as possible), so that may play a part in this.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
you are the one posting all this nonsense like we were in the 1800s, you are the one that needs to go back on topic.

and if you think that's rude... welcome to the internet.

Reactions: ILoveGregTech

gendalf

Jul 29, 2019
i think they should make separate packs for 1.5 and add mods to those when they get updated
don't wait for RP, don't interfere with those who play 1.4.7

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
i think they should make separate packs for 1.5 and add mods to those when they get updated
don't wait for RP, don't interfere with those who play 1.4.7
You don't have to update your pack if you don't want to. 1.5 is not nearly as bad as 1.3, and I think a number of mods will be updated by the end of the month.

Reactions: RetroGamer1224

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Doubt FTB will update for a while. At some point you've got to stop updating and actually play the damn game. I'd be happy if there were no updates for a few months, in that time more bugs will have been squished in MC, more features (bugs) introduced in MC, and a lot of new content from the mods.

I've felt that any number of times, and then I remember that this is ultimately what happened to Technic. Put all the drama regarding them aside, and what we had was a modpack that was stuck in 1.2.5, when the rest of the world was in 1.4.x nearly a year later.

Honestly, what I think would be nice (although it's not going to happen) is for Mojang to dramatically reduce their update cycle, and let the mods mature in a more stable environment. Dead easy to update the modpack with a new version of a mod, as long as vanilla is unchanged. And really, the only feature added to vanilla (off the top of my head) since 1.3.2 that I've found useful is the anvil.

Retrogamer1224: "Seems 1.5 has bugs...." Let me look for my shockface.gif

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
1.4.7 was released the 20th (I think) of december, 1.5 was just released like 3 days ago, thats 2 months.

and most people don't play with mods, they want their vanilla to be updated, also, why would mojang wait for mods? is not like they take profit from them or anything, and in any case, they give them prereleases to be more than ready for the update.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
1.4.7 was released the 20th (I think) of december, 1.5 was just released like 3 days ago, thats 2 months.

1.4.7 was released on January 9th, 2013, for the record: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history#1.4.7

That aside, December 20th to March 13th is not two months in entirety. It's two months and twenty-three days, which is fairly close to three months.

Given the CORRECT release date for 1.4.7, though, of January 9th, it is two months and six days.

You are incorrect either way, but at least with the corrected date your round error is within acceptable range as opposed to the absurd range.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, then lets say, 1.4.2, that was released Thursday, October 25, 2012, since I can also say that 1.5.1 isn't out yet so it doesn't count.

and even with the correct date, is still more than 2 months, and you are still complaining.

EDIT: sorry that I didn't say 6 or 20whatever days, mr.perfect.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh hey may give out pre releases BUT what about sudden bugfixes? From what I remember every update from Mojang is a complete change of code. That is why mods take a while is because it is almost starting from scratch, especially for big mods like say IC2. Yes the snapshots help but say it is a pre release and everything seems to be fine. At the eleventh hour there is a bug that is fixed but doing so has them change a block id. That small change means a modder may not know about it untill release only to find out (s)he has errors in code.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
they do not change block ID's, and neither they do complete changes of code, like, between 1.4.6 and .7 was so small, that most mods of .6 work with .7