FTB Ultimate Comeback...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should there be a FTB Ultimate 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
1) Minetweaker is a player chosen change. If the player thinks that <x> should be made like <y> then fine, go nuts. But I wouldn't want to play with something if <y> costs 3x as much as it would be in vanilla, and I wouldn't want that forced on me. I haven't heard of TFC so I can't comment. And BTW I would say is annoying, but the fact it doesn't work with other mods (at least from what I remember) means it could be let off, because it can't break rule 3.
So modders aren't players?
TFC = TerraFirmaCraft http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...010-1-6-4-terrafirmacraft-survival-mode-as-it

2) With GT it sorta plays with rule 3, let's say I want to get an electric furnace pretty sharpish, which I can do once I had access to redstone with IC2 (as when you have redstone, you are bound to have enough iron), BUT GT says.. NOPE! you need these useless machines so you can make a ciruit. And these machines are gonna cost you a hell of a lot of bronze, and because I am Greg, I will nerf the recipe for Bronze :p
Yeah, you need to advance through the tech tiers. Just make a steam furnace...

3) This is just due to core mechanics of a mod. GT adds plates, and forces you to use compressors for blocks, etc. So to make, let's say, an extrautils item transfer node, you need a redstone block. But to get a redstone block you need a compressor, and to get a compressor you need a circuit and to get a circuit you need... you see how the list goes on.
You don't need a circuit. There are Steam Compressor which are much much cheaper.

4) Yeah, Mekanism was a real arse to sort out with 1.7. I want to disable the cables from a mod pack as they are a little OP for energy conversion... but there is no config setting for them. So I had to get minetweaker to disable them.
Wow really? I could've sworn at least that stayed configurable :p

5) I guess it's just something that I don't like. I don't mind if people have mystcraft ages with this stuff, as it takes time to get. But if I spawn in a world, punch a tree, get wood, and it drops diamonds instead of apples (this is probably a mod) then it is just forcing OPness onto a player. If you give people "endgame stuff" (if you are playing vanilla, with just that mod) then what's the point?
If people want to play it it's their choice.
You could always ask in his thread about the missing config options. He and a lot of the other people in there are pretty helpful. He's not the ass everybody makes him out to be.
Yeah. Greg is a pretty cool dude.
You're *really* not going to like GT 5, then. The ore gen is ... different. Expect to be using cobblestone and flint tools for *several* hours, if not longer. It's not uncommon for people to get unlucky GT 5 worlds and spend hours and hours in-game before they find iron. And, you really, really want to get lucky with Tin.
I pretty much only use Manganese, or Diamond if I need to.

Personally, I'm having a blast with Infitech2. There's plenty of other mods besides GT 5 such as Thaumcraft, Forestry, Railcraft, ExUt, eIO,

We do,in a way. FTB has very visible support for 3rd-party public packs. Heck, even te wildly popupar AgS was a 3rd-party public pack.

Give Infitech2 a try. It's one of the best mod-packs I've ever played. [ping removed] did a fantastic job.
I'm considering putting my current pack on the launcher...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't mean modders aren't players, but I just don't like being forced to do stuff in that overly complex way, to make something as simple as iron boots :p

Steam compressor, still needs bronze... *rants about GT bronze*

No, unless Mekanism didn't install a config option, you can't configure every item anymore.

I know Greg is a cool dude...But I still want his guts :p

And you should see if you can get your pack on the launcher... I feel the 3rd party list should be at least twice as long as the official list :p

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This thread is a tiny bit on the silly side.

The initial premise is "I want Ultimate back, but without GT". Of course you're going to get a million echoes of this. "I'd like Ultimate back, but with more GT and less Xycraft." For me, it might be "Ultimate, but with hardcore GT and zero magic mods. And Minetweaked to the nines by Jason McCray and his team."

At the end of the day, there's a million Ultimate packs out there. Monster's one. Go download that, remove what you don't like, have fun.

PS: GT is for intelligent and focused players only. Others can stay away please.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't mean modders aren't players, but I just don't like being forced to do stuff in that overly complex way, to make something as simple as iron boots :p
Then either A) Go tell Greg to add more config options or B) Use MineTweaker.

Steam compressor, still needs bronze... *rants about GT bronze*
Bronze isn't difficult at all. Just make a mortar, grind up some tin and copper, then combine and smelt the dust.

And you should see if you can get your pack on the launcher... I feel the 3rd party list should be at least twice as long as the official list :p
I can, it's just whether or not I want to put the effort into it.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Then either A) Go tell Greg to add more config options or B) Use MineTweaker.

Bronze isn't difficult at all. Just make a mortar, grind up some tin and copper, then combine and smelt the dust.

I can, it's just whether or not I want to put the effort into it.
You don't have to. Blockmaster, zorn, and I are working on a Gregtech/Railcraft pack. :p

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You don't have to. Blockmaster, zorn, and I are working on a Gregtech/Railcraft pack. :p
If you can somehow work Reika's reactors in as some sort of end-game, and somehow do it in a balanced fashion (gl), I'd be interested :p

I haven't heard of someone focusing on a RC/GT combination before. I assume you focus on RC as a primary mode of transportation? (eg, no tesseracts!)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
pls pm me with details
pls.

Though still, my pack has a bit more than GT and Railcraft, but only 30 mod files, excluding folders.
I'll talk to Block and see if we can get ya added in. Also, click on the Carts and Cables pic in my link. It goes to the site with all the pack info.
If you can somehow work Reika's reactors in as some sort of end-game, and somehow do it in a balanced fashion (gl), I'd be interested :p

I haven't heard of someone focusing on a RC/GT combination before. I assume you focus on RC as a primary mode of transportation? (eg, no tesseracts!)
Rotarycraft/Reactorcraft wouldn't fit terribly well in this pack I'm afraid. Also, there is no Thermal Expansion or any way of generating RF, except for converting EU/MJ to it. We have a mod that allows everything to use EU.
And teleportation of items is made very end game.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'll talk to Block and see if we can get ya added in. Also, click on the Carts and Cables pic in my link. It goes to the site with all the pack info.
Oh I don't have enough time to work on it, I just wanted to see what it was, which that site gives me :)

Reactions: Wagon153

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Rotarycraft/Reactorcraft wouldn't fit terribly well in this pack I'm afraid. Also, there is no Thermal Expansion or any way of generating RF, except for converting EU/MJ to it. We have a mod that allows everything to use EU.
And teleportation of items is made very end game.
Honestly, if you plan on releasing it as a public pack, there's no way I know of to integrate them in a balanced fashion (no minetweaker allowed)

And who cares about TE :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
There's another pack however I'm also helping with that is focused around Rotary and Reactorcraft, but the first alpha version hasn't even been given to testers yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1411653748][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh I don't have enough time to work on it, I just wanted to see what it was, which that site gives me :)
To be frank, right now what the pack needs to be is played in survival so we can work out the kinks. We're a fourth of the way(?) done with the quests. The world gen/ore gen is pretty much done. I give it a couple weeks and we'll have a releasable version.

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
There's another pack however I'm also helping with that is focused around Rotary and Reactorcraft, but the first alpha version hasn't even been given to testers yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1411653748][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be frank, right now what the pack needs to be is played in survival so we can work out the kinks. We're a fourth of the way(?) done with the quests. The world gen/ore gen is pretty much done. I give it a couple weeks and we'll have a releasable version.
I'd like to see how that goes, as I wouldn't have thought there was a way to integrate it with other mods... unless they are the only tech mods

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see how that goes, as I wouldn't have thought there was a way to integrate it with other mods... unless they are the only tech mods
There is MFR, Minechem, and a few other tech mods. However, they are being balanced around Rotarycraft and its tiers.

milkman

Jul 29, 2019

Sounds great. hope the survival test goes quicker then few weeks...:D

Reactions: Wagon153

Codraroll

Jul 29, 2019
If you can somehow work Reika's reactors in as some sort of end-game, and somehow do it in a balanced fashion (gl), I'd be interested

This got me thinking... is there a way to temporarily disable recipes until certain criteria are met? Say, an achievement or something?

Guess not, since it's not used in every modpack out there, but imagine the possibilities if it was...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This got me thinking... is there a way to temporarily disable recipes until certain criteria are met? Say, an achievement or something?

Guess not, since it's not used in every modpack out there, but imagine the possibilities if it was...
To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't allow anything that breaks the info in his manual. He would only allow something that changes "entry" to his mod. In this case, it might be changing the recipe for the Blast Furnace, which is the entry-block into RoC. But even in this case, he's specified he wouldn't allow the recipe to depend on something ultra-rare (such as, say, iridium)

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
To the best of my knowledge, he doesn't allow anything that breaks the info in his manual. He would only allow something that changes "entry" to his mod. In this case, it might be changing the recipe for the Blast Furnace, which is the entry-block into RoC. But even in this case, he's specified he wouldn't allow the recipe to depend on something ultra-rare (such as, say, iridium)
Well, I don't remember the recipe, but let's say it's 8 bricks. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from changing the recipe of bricks to be 1 diamond + 1 clay, as that way you are not editing anything to do with his mod in any way, shape, or form

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I don't remember the recipe, but let's say it's 8 bricks. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from changing the recipe of bricks to be 1 diamond + 1 clay, as that way you are not editing anything to do with his mod in any way, shape, or form
it's actually 8 stone bricks and one redstone
But IIRC Reika's mods will fail on startup if one of their recipes is changed

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I just re-read his rules pretty carefully (again) and I'm inclined to agree that this would be acceptable. But I talked to him on the topic before, and I gather he'd permit you to make the blast furnace directly require diamonds if you so desired (diamonds being a reasonably prevalent resource.)