FTB Release!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Variety's all well and good on paper but I can't exactly see how, in the long run, server listing/hosting websites are going to catagorize and/or provide support for server types like Vanilla, Modded, Tekkit, FTB 1, FTB 2, FTB 3, etc.

It's not what I'd call practical.
EDIT: Though it is rather ingenious as a method for people to buy more hosted servers for each type so that they can cater to everyone.

Well I like the idea, I'm a server owner and once those packs are all released I will be switching to the Tech pack, magic ain't for me (plus magic doesn't match with the server's theme). So I say that creating various packs is actually a great idea.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Well I like the idea, I'm a server owner and once those packs are all released I will be switching to the Tech pack, magic ain't for me (plus magic doesn't match with the server's theme). So I say that creating various packs is actually a great idea.
I'm a server owner too and I know it's impossible to please anyone, therefore the idea of having three different packs, knowing you can only cater to a portion of the FTB audience, doesn't appeal to me when if it were more practical you could just have the one pack and be able to cater to everyone as I originally thought was intended.

Do what Technic did, have a single SMP and have all other varieties SSP. Otherwise you're just asking for more work piled on and the inevitability of; "Oh, sorry but the main FTB update is being delayed because we have to work on it's five other child mod packs and their server capabilities."

b0h

Jul 29, 2019
uhm.. i guess i'll use the ultimate pack in the future.
After all i love lots of mods, since the first modded instance i made in multimc with 1.2.5 as something like 90+ mods.
I had so much fun! :D

Reactions: Wabbit

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
uhm.. i guess i'll use the ultimate pack in the future.
After all i love lots of mods, since the first modded instance i made in multimc with 1.2.5 as something like 90+ mods.
I had so much fun! :D
Bloody hell, that's a lot of mods...

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
Wabbit, I think the purpose of the magic / tech packs being broken out, is because some love a lot of the mods, but feel the tech stuff doesn't fit well with Minecraft as a low tech game.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Wabbit, I think the purpose of the magic / tech packs being broken out, is because some love a lot of the mods, but feel the tech stuff doesn't fit well with Minecraft as a low tech game.
...which still doesn't change her point. The benefit (pleasing the small segment who love tech and hate magic, or vice versa) doesn't necessarily outweigh the cost (maintaining multiple modpacks to keep their now multiple types of mod interactions relatively bug free, and adding confusion to the end user of "which FTB pack is my server running").

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Although my personal preference is for divided mod packs so that I can use the Tech one, I must admit that Wabbit does have a point. It will make things more difficult for server hosts.

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
...which still doesn't change her point. The benefit (pleasing the small segment who love tech and hate magic, or vice versa) doesn't necessarily outweigh the cost (maintaining multiple modpacks to keep their now multiple types of mod interactions relatively bug free, and adding confusion to the end user of "which FTB pack is my server running").

Point taken, but my personal take on it is that if it doesn't bother Slowpoke, then who are we to get into that discussion? If it does bother Slowpoke, then he should probably consider just doing only the ultimate pack. Personally, I'd be fine with just the ultimate pack.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
FTBBETAA Will be the pack once completed that will also be used to play the new upcoming FTB map ;)

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Point taken, but my personal take on it is that if it doesn't bother Slowpoke, then who are we to get into that discussion? If it does bother Slowpoke, then he should probably consider just doing only the ultimate pack. Personally, I'd be fine with just the ultimate pack.
Slowpoke said that he doesn't go on servers, and if he does, it's whitelisted.

Why would it bother him?

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke said that he doesn't go on servers, and if he does, it's whitelisted.

Why would it bother him?

I was under the impression that he's the one who creates the pack and thus does the work / puts in the effort to create the various versions. Was I mistaken?

luacs1998

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a server owner too and I know it's impossible to please anyone, therefore the idea of having three different packs, knowing you can only cater to a portion of the FTB audience, doesn't appeal to me when if it were more practical you could just have the one pack and be able to cater to everyone as I originally thought was intended.

Do what Technic did, have a single SMP and have all other varieties SSP. Otherwise you're just asking for more work piled on and the inevitability of; "Oh, sorry but the main FTB update is being delayed because we have to work on it's five other child mod packs and their server capabilities."
All mods are universal, you can dump a server jar in the client instance and boom, you have a server. Just remember to install the jar mods.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that he's the one who creates the pack and thus does the work / puts in the effort to create the various versions. Was I mistaken?

Well No. Slow doesn't make the mod packs anymore hence why we have a great Modpack Team now.
However Slow did do it at the start with Tahg at the start before this team was made.
Slow does however have the say in what pack's he wants made/not made but no longer makes the pack himself ;)

Hope this helps answer your question.

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
Well No. Slow doesn't make the mod packs anymore hence why we have a great Modpack Team now.
However Slow did do it at the start with Tahg at the start before this team was made.
Slow does however have the say in what pack's he wants made/not made but no longer makes the pack himself ;)

Hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks, that does help.

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't answer my question.

My point was that while discussing what should be in a mod pack is useful, at the end of the day, it seems like whether there's three versions or one should be a decision by the people who make the packs. But, you know, I'm probably bogging down a fair debate. So, please excuse my diversion there.

I do have a question about this, though. It would seem that choosing to offer or not offer more than one of the available mod packs is similar to the option to choose to offer or not offer other mods entirely. That is, offering the magic pack and the tech pack as separate servers seems similar to offering FTB and Tekkit on separate servers. They're optional service options. Will some people wish you offered something you don't? Sure. But asking for options to be eliminated is like asking for Tekkit to be eliminated, whereas you could just not offer Tekkit and those players who want Tekkit will go to hosts to offer it. Taking the choice away seems like it's a way to avoid making server operators being viewed as the "bad guy" by instead making the mod pack team be the "bad guy".

BTW, I fully understand the flaw in my analogy by using Tekkit, we all know FTB is a far superior product. ;)

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
My point was that while discussing what should be in a mod pack is useful, at the end of the day, it seems like whether there's three versions or one should be a decision by the people who make the packs. But, you know, I'm probably bogging down a fair debate. So, please excuse my diversion there.
Well if we're taking the democracy out of this, then yes, this is true. However I protest that if they're making the packs without involving the community then they might as well just be making the packs purely for themselves. The fact that people support them by playing the packs too is merely a happy coincidence. Given the lack of communication I've seen between FTB and the community, I believe yes, this would be the case.
There's that word again. "Communication."

I do have a question about this, though. It would seem that choosing to offer or not offer more than one of the available mod packs is similar to the option to choose to offer or not offer other mods entirely. That is, offering the magic pack and the tech pack as separate servers seems similar to offering FTB and Tekkit on separate servers. They're optional service options. Will some people wish you offered something you don't? Sure. But asking for options to be eliminated is like asking for Tekkit to be eliminated, whereas you could just not offer Tekkit and those players who want Tekkit will go to hosts to offer it. Taking the choice away seems like it's a way to avoid making server operators being viewed as the "bad guy" by instead making the mod pack team be the "bad guy".
Let's forget about tekkit for a moment.
FTB has three packs currently under their name FTB Beta, Magic World and FTB Retro. One of these are SSP. We know why. Then there's FTBBETA and Magic World. Let's take a look at why there's a magic world.
  • First, some people believe that the magic mods > science mods. Fair enough. Why should they make a seperate pack for this again? No-one's forcing them to use mods like IC2, GregTech and such. If anything they condone the disabling of these mods by altering the configs in the modpack files. (Not what I'd call User Friendly but that's a different matter.)
  • Second, conflict of versions. 1.4.2 to 1.4.5 - Some people might want to play FTB with thaumcraft but fail to do so because a portion of major mods included in the BETA pack are stuck in 1.4.2 for the moment. Again, fair enough. But why does this warrant a long term pack? A pre-release maaaybe, but I don't see the need for a long term pack dedicated to magic when the only real magic mods involved that would diversify itself from the main pack are EE3 (Not implimented yet) and TC3. Yes, Mystcraft's in there and yes, TwiForest's in there too, but they're in the main pack too.
  • Third, 'unbalanced/broken' mods. Magic as we've learned tends to be unbalanced. EE3 hasn't given us enough evidence to contradict that opinion after it's predecessor, so in the interest of keeping things balanced we separate the op or 'magic' mods from the main pack and put them into the old pack. One again, why does this not warrant a pack? Why can't we just disable it like we've been told to for those that don't like GregTech and other contradictory mods?
  • Finally, mod conflicts. Initially this is what I believed to be the cause. I wouldn't have put it past them to have decided it's not worth the trouble to get all the mods to play nice together so we should just make a secondary mod pack under the pretense of a different experience. Sounds fair on paper, but that makes me worry about the future of the mod packs and what will be implemented.
I don't understand why there has to be a 'bad guy' at all. If this were a more democratic process, not only would we be springed with random updates and controversial decisions out of nowhere but it might make the modpack a lot cleaner in itself. In my opinion, there shouldn't be a choice to make. We were under the belief these mods would be implemented under the same pack. Until now I had no idea there'd be a second mod pack to choose from for the sake of the poor little players who don't like and or can't be arsed to figure out the scientific mods.

BTW, I fully understand the flaw in my analogy by using Tekkit, we all know FTB is a far superior product. ;)
Say what you will about modpack superiority, but at least tekkit technic was cleaner with their mod packs. I don't remember seeing nearly as many problems as there were are with FTB.

I'd like to point out (because for some reason, no matter how many times I stress this, people seem to think that because I point flaws in FTB, that it equates to my undying, passionate hatred of the damn thing) that I adore FTB. I'm playing it right now. I don't like their desicions, I don't like their lack of communication, I don't like their daily updates because it stabs me with a fear of dread for the sake of my server and I don't like a vast majority of their staff and the decisions they make. But I like and support the modpack itself.
(Even though their updates consistently give me ulcers.)

Reactions: Cman333

scorch

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i have a question about these packs. And btw i do understand the need to have separate packs with separate mods(categorized mods), this being quite needed for servers.
My question is can we merge mods from different packs without being any conflicts(considering they are for the same mc version)? Will i be able to take mods from a pack and put it into another pack?

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i have a question about these packs. And btw i do understand the need to have separate packs with separate mods(categorized mods), this being quite needed for servers.
My question is can we merge mods from different packs without being any conflicts(considering they are for the same mc version)? Will i be able to take mods from a pack and put it into another pack?
Ideally yes, but really it depends on the mods in question and how well they play with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.