FTB News - April 10th, 2015

What is your favourite 1.7.10 FTB modpack?

• Infinity

• Direwolf20 1.7.10

• Lite 3

• Resurrection

• Mage Quest

Results are only viewable after voting.

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
Awww man Lite has almost least popularity... why? Its fairly balanced and not over-encumbering

Well, for my taste this pack don't have mods which i like to play with, i know that you can change and add mods, but this is unfortunately too hard for me. So I voted for DW20 even if I didn't played this pack for longlong time. I actually play 3dpartypack and I will probably stay there because the FTB team has made it clear that they will not work on pack I would like to play.

Reactions: Jadedcat

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I don't like it for streamers either. Honestly I am a rebel, I dislike things that offer to raise one group above another based on anything other than merit or majority vote of the community. And the community votes by watching/playing/using. Not by filling out polls on a forum.

FTB has analytics for packs. They know what people are playing. A vote on the forums just says what the people who talk on the forums like. Why use a poll when you have hard numbers?
Hmm I was hoping it would be a chance to say, for example: "Hey! I really like this Let's Player; they've got very few subs but I think their stuff is great - come see!", and promote people who just aren't getting the visibility at the moment. I have to specific LPers in mind when I say this - both make excellent videos (in my opinion) but could do with some more love.

Awww man Lite has almost least popularity... why? Its fairly balanced and not over-encumbering

Hey, I voted for it! :D On my poor low powered computer, it runs great - and I've even been able to add a few mods to it without it taking a massive hit on fps! For that alone it has a special place in my heart ;)

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Well, for my taste this pack don't have mods which i like to play with, i know that you can change and add mods, but this is unfortunately too hard for me. So I voted for DW20 even if I didn't played this pack for longlong time. I actually play 3dpartypack and I will probably stay there because the FTB team has made it clear that they will not work on pack I would like to play.
Please, what type of packs would you like us to make? We're always open to feedback.

Reactions: goreae

THEminer72

Jul 29, 2019
Please, what type of packs would you like us to make? We're always open to feedback.
More HQM centered ones. But I'd like a new theme to it though as the old ones, apocalypse, make a new world, etc. and such are getting boring. A good pack with new themed pack to look at would be the ferret business, or for instance your pack, running red, or the atlauncher pack magicality. I'd also like some new and under appreciated mods like electrical age and most of reikas mods. If you guys add GT to any packs please make it so the ore gen is custom and is suited for all mods as GT makes itself the True path and I think everyone would like it if was one path and not the primary one.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It is for 1.7.10, but due to changes between GregTech versions, everything has changed, and it needs to be completely rewritten due to those changes. It's unfortunate, but it's better to rewrite it than let it die.

Curse Employees can't participate because FTB is partnered with them. If FTB allowed Curse Employees to participate, it would be almost exactly akin to having FTB staff participate. Plus, you were previously FTB staff, only retiring a day before the competition. I know we'd all love to participate in Jampacked, but it would cause all sorts of legal issues if someone who was employed by FTB until a day before won, or a member of one of the groups sponsoring FTB won.

Having you or me or Eyamaz or tfox participate in Jampacked and win would be like if Pat Sajak suddenly appeared as a guest on Wheel of Fortune. You can't have someone who works for a company or works closely with the company win - it could be seen as biased, manipulating results, or any manner of things. Surely you wouldn't support Slowpoke entering this competition and winning?

I would personally love to see you enter Jampacked, as I know you'd make an absolutly brilliant pack. I'd love to see Parcel do it as well, and tfox, and Eyamaz. I'd like to do it again, maybe have a chance of getting first this time. But we can't. We're all either working for FTB or partnered with FTB, and that makes it well near impossible to have any of us participate due to legal and moral concerns.

As for everything else mentioned here, I can't say anything about that. If you have any advice for how you'd like us to do it, or more reasons why we shouldn't, feel free to contact us again. We're always open to advice, especially from someone as amazing as you.

1. Contest legalities are for sweepstakes, where a name is drawn out of a hat, not something supposedly judged by merit/talent/skill.
2. No I would have no issue with Slow joining and winning, as long as he isn't a judge.

What this does do is tell those of us who have experience, "well, sorry but you put the effort in too soon, you know what you are doing now, and that is not fair to people who are still learning, so we are going to give them an advantage because its just not fair for experienced creators to have a slight advantage over inexperienced."

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
What this does do is tell those of us who have experience, "well, sorry but you put the effort in too soon, you know what you are doing now, and that is not fair to people who are still learning, so we are going to give them an advantage because its just not fair for experienced creators to have a slight advantage over inexperienced."

Care to elaborate on why you feel this way? Because this contest, along with every other one I have ever seen in my life, bars employees (current or past), their family, and anyone associated with the contest in any way from entering due to the problems that would be caused by having one of them win. This is, in my mind, no different. No where in the announcement was it stated that someone with any sort of skill is not allowed to enter.

Edit: Fixed bad wording.

Last edited:

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Except not all contests do. That is a choice. There is nothing that legally prevents Curse/FTB employees or associates in competing. It could be easily solved by having the community vote, by assigning numbers to packs and not telling the judges which number belongs to which creator, by having a pro and an ammetuer category, by picking judges not associated with FTB/Curse. Getting the Technic or ATLauncher teams to judge it would certainly avoid bias on the part of Curse/FTB. Actually the only group with anything like a vested interest in the winner being someone on their team, or someone that can join their team is FTB.

I, eyamaz, pheonix team, tfox all got our "associations" by being experienced. The most experienced pack creators in the community are all not able to participate except Iskandar. Why? Because we learned how to make packs, we got good at it, and then we got offered jobs/volunteer positions. It makes Jampacked not about finding the "best packs" but about finding "new creators". Which is fine. But make that clear in the documentation, that the idea is to get new creators not to get the best possible packs. Because people look at this type contest and think the winner will be one of the best possible packs for that game version. And that's not necessarily true. It will be the best pack from new creators. It may or may not be as good as packs made by experienced pack creators, we don't know because the experienced pack creators (except 1) aren't eligible. It feels like being punished for having dared to get decent at pack making before the contest was started.
But on the other hand, we all knew going in that associating ourselves with FTB would cause us to not be able to participate in things like this. The moment Watchful first asked me if I wanted to join the Third Party Pack Team, I knew that the instant I accepted I would cease to be able to do Jampacked any more. When the Phoenix Team was approached about partnering with Feed the Beast, one of the topics of discussion was that we couldn't participate in Jampacked.

Sure, there may not have been a Jampacked when you joined FTB, but surely you went in knowing that you wouldn't be able to participate in the tournaments it hosted. I doubt anyone at Curse would allow you to participate in a Curse hosted tournament like this or this. I don't anyone who hosts the League of Legends tournaments that are so popular has any intent of participating in them.

When I was approached about joining each new part of FTB as I worked my way up, I had a choice of whether I wanted to do it or not. I could have easily turned down the invitation to the Third Party Pack Team so I could participate in Jampacked. This isn't someone forcing you to join so you can't participate.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, there may not have been a Jampacked when you joined FTB, but surely you went in knowing that you wouldn't be able to participate in the tournaments it hosted.

FTB makes mod packs. That's all.
It isn't a tournaments site so why would she possibly know that?
Not to mention that if it was going to be an issue then it would specifically be noted in the contracts she signed.

Reactions: Jadedcat

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Not to mention that if it was going to be an issue then it would specifically be noted in the contracts she signed.
Seemed they did tournaments fairly early on. Starting here, FTB has had at least one tournament every year since.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Except not all contests do. That is a choice. There is nothing that legally prevents Curse/FTB employees or associates in competing.

And they've chosen to go this route, which is their right and there is no point in arguing about it. No amount of complaining by anyone, regardless of their current or former status / popularity will make them change it.
Actually the only group with anything like a vested interest in the winner being someone on their team, or someone that can join their team is FTB.

You're making it seem like this is the only way FTB gets new team members. I highly doubt it is.
I, eyamaz, pheonix team, tfox all got our "associations" by being experienced. The most experienced pack creators in the community are all not able to participate except Iskandar. Why? Because we learned how to make packs, we got good at it, and then we got offered jobs/volunteer positions.

Yes, and as a member of the Phoenix Team, I can say with full confidence that every one of us knew the costs of accepting the invitation of helping the FTB team. One of those costs was that we were not allowed to participate in these contests. We weren't forced to join. Every single one of the people you named could have declined the offer and still been eligible for these contests. Instead we chose to accept the offer to join at the cost of being able to participate in these contests.
It makes Jampacked not about finding the "best packs" but about finding "new creators". Which is fine. But make that clear in the documentation, that the idea is to get new creators not to get the best possible packs.

Do you have proof that this is the actual intent of the contest? Because in all of the news I've been given about it, not once was it mentioned that the FTB was using it to find new pack devs. For further proof on this @Gideonseymour was brought onto the FTB team to help make packs, even though @parcel31u won the last contest. If they were going for finding new members, wouldn't it be logical to go with the winner instead?
Because people look at this type contest and think the winner will be one of the best possible packs for that game version. And that's not necessarily true. It will be the best pack from new creators. It may or may not be as good as packs made by experienced pack creators, we don't know because the experienced pack creators (except 1) aren't eligible. It feels like being punished for having dared to get decent at pack making before the contest was started.

You are not in any way being punished for making packs. No where in any of the rules was it stated that people are being punished for being FTB team, PT, Curse employees, etc.

Also, experience pack dev does not always equal amazing modpacks. Assuming otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment. There are still plenty of people with less experience who will surprise us all in this contest. I would even go so far as to say there is a strong possibility that some of their packs will surpass your packs, Gideon's packs, and parcel's packs.

A) Everything is subject to change.
B) The FTB team does not make you sign a contract.
C) What Gideon said above me.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Except not all contests do. That is a choice.

Not sure why I am wading into this arguement, I guess its the fact that I see so much petulant child in these responses...

When Jaded took her packs to Curse she made a post that stated in order for a mod to get added to her pack it had to be on curseforge, not all modpack makers do that, it was her choice.

This is a FTB contest and its their rules.

The other part that got this all started was FTB notifiing us they were going to try to find a way to promote content creators, no official details or plan was laid out, just some information about the upcoming program was given. Here is another case where people are already angry before they know what the need to be mad about...

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
My 50 cents.. or pence... or whatever the hell the UK equivilant is of that.

I can fully understand the principal behind FTB not awarding the prize to one of the staff. I think most of us on the FTB side agree with this - it seems biased to have the judging party give a prize to a related party.

As for Curse and Creeperhost employees- these are related to the prize givers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were not terms enforced by them in exchange for providing the prizes. It still seems wrong though, considering that several modpack creators are employees.

parcel31u

Jul 29, 2019
Except not all contests do. That is a choice. There is nothing that legally prevents Curse/FTB employees or associates in competing. It could be easily solved by having the community vote, by assigning numbers to packs and not telling the judges which number belongs to which creator, by having a pro and an ammetuer category, by picking judges not associated with FTB/Curse. Getting the Technic or ATLauncher teams to judge it would certainly avoid bias on the part of Curse/FTB. Actually the only group with anything like a vested interest in the winner being someone on their team, or someone that can join their team is FTB.

I, eyamaz, pheonix team, tfox all got our "associations" by being experienced. The most experienced pack creators in the community are all not able to participate except Iskandar. Why? Because we learned how to make packs, we got good at it, and then we got offered jobs/volunteer positions. It makes Jampacked not about finding the "best packs" but about finding "new creators". Which is fine. But make that clear in the documentation, that the idea is to get new creators not to get the best possible packs. Because people look at this type contest and think the winner will be one of the best possible packs for that game version. And that's not necessarily true. It will be the best pack from new creators. It may or may not be as good as packs made by experienced pack creators, we don't know because the experienced pack creators (except 1) aren't eligible. It feels like being punished for having dared to get decent at pack making before the contest was started.

"It makes Jampacked not about finding the "best packs" but about finding "new creators". Which is fine."

I won jampacked and wasn't even offered to help out with FTB packs while @Gideonseymour was. So that is not correct at all to say jampacked is about finding new creators.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Standard disclaimer about this being purely my opinion, and not anyone else's, nor is it representative of any teams I'm part of.
With a contest, they are never going to find the best packs. There will be those that have a wonderful pack but won't enter due to thinking it'll lose horribly. Another thing with the new Jampacked 2 rules that it has to be a certain theme is that they might get people who would otherwise have wonderful, wonderful modpacks turning in awful results. I know that I hate it when people act like I can direct creativity how I want, when I want. So, Jaded, at least one of the new rules makes it harder, not easier, to find new content creators. Inspiration isn't a force that can be easily directed.
In addition, it isn't really fair if they allow FTB members to enter due to possibility of bias - and even if you're trying to avoid it, there's bias inherent in humanity. One can't escape bias, at least not easily. Even if there isn't any bias in the judging portion, if a FTB member comes out fairly high, they'll probably be accused of bias.
One does not toy lightly with contests and allowing members of the team running the contest to join. Such a thing invites accusations of bias.

Reactions: Padfoote and psp