FTB Master Configs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
...it doesn't matter that your system thinks "Minecraft:Stone" == ID 1 while mine thinks "Minecraft:Stone" == ID 100.

Think of the Items as being assigned "addresses" like your computer is assigned by your router's DHCP server, and when you want to access an item your client looks up the name and replaces it with the ID like your browser finds a website's IP by looking up the name using DNS.
But your browser and mine both resolve forum.feed-the-beast.com to the same address. When I load your world, how does my game know that when it sees 100 in your file, it means 1 in my game's numbering?

Feel free to treat that question as rhetorical. This is why I asked for links, because I didn't want to derail this thread with technical discussions.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That's the point... It doesn't see 1 in your file and 100 in mine. It sees "Minecraft:Stone" in both files.

If forum.feed-the-beast.com changes hosting ISPs and has to change it's IP address we don't see that either, assuming a quick DNS update occurs.

Face it... Numeric IDs in Minecraft are going the way of line numbers in Basic programming.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
Feel free to treat that question as rhetorical. This is why I asked for links, because I didn't want to derail this thread with technical discussions.
I think the game loads IDs at world load time instead of game load time. So when you connect to a server, it sends you the IDs that it is using.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
That's the point... It doesn't see 1 in your file and 100 in mine. It sees "Minecraft:Stone" in both files.
Face it... Numeric IDs in Minecraft are going the way of line numbers in Basic programming.
Line numbers were not replaced with strings. Replacing a 2-byte number with an arbitrary length string in a game save file is insanity. I don't believe you. As I said, got link?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Line numbers were not replaced with strings. Replacing a 2-byte number with an arbitrary length string in a game save file is insanity. I don't believe you. As I said, got link?

Actually they were. What do you think procedure/function names are? Arbitrary length text strings that are translated by the interpreter/compiler to real addresses. Why? Names are generally easier for humans to remember than numbers.

"Replacing a 2-byte number..." We haven't had 2-byte numbers since the 90s. even systems barely capable of running MC are 32 bits (4-bytes for the binarily impared) and 8-bytes in modern 64 bit systems. Even so, since memory hasn't been a concern since Windows was introduced in the mid 80s this is an invalid point. Fun fact: Vanilla Minecraft is too large to fit on my very first hard drive, a huge (at the time) 5MB!

I don't care if you believe me or not, but you are in for a shock when 1.8 is released... It completely removes numeric IDs from MC. Look at any of the 1.8 Snapshot videos on YouTube... command blocks work with the name IDs.

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care if you believe me or not, but you are in for a shock when 1.8 is released... It completely removes numeric IDs from MC. Look at any of the 1.8 Snapshot videos on YouTube... command blocks work with the name IDs.

While all human interfaces will use names vice numbers, I'm pretty sure that the storage format will continue to use numbers. And the IDs in Minecraft's NBT files have many sizes, but the block IDs are shorts, so the 2 byte thing applies to the Minecraft save files. I would hate to see how big my save files would become if they replaced the 2 byte number with variable length strings for every block in the world.

IMarv

Reactions: PhilHibbs

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
"Replacing a 2-byte number..." We haven't had 2-byte numbers since the 90s.
Since you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, I will not continue this discussion here unless someone else has anything to say on the subject.

*Edit* And it's worse than that - block IDs in Anvil are one byte, with an array of 4-bit extensions that boost the ID range from 256 to 4096. So they're 1½ bytes, not 2 bytes.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I just tried to add Engineer's Toolbox from Horizons to Direwolf20 (2.0.2 and 1.0.18) and got ID conflicts. And I did use the launcher to do it. Did I do something wrong?

#Blocks
3291: stair.eucalyptus from Natura - superAlgae from emashercore
3292: stair.sakura from Natura - deadAlgae from emashercore
3293: stair.ghostwood from Natura - null from emashercore
4080: TFUncraftingTable from TwilightForest - emasher_mini_portal from eng_toolbox
4081: emasher_direction_changer from eng_toolbox - blockThermalMonitor from IC2NuclearControl
4082: emasher_frame from eng_toolbox - extrautils:decorativeBlock2 from ExtraUtilities
Suggested Ranges: 2830-3119 (290 IDs), 1556-1752 (197 IDs), 3711-3897 (187 IDs)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I'm using Magic Farm 2, and have started to add a few mods that I miss. I've added AM2 and Twilight Forest, and the only problem that I've had is that the meat from TF animals (e.g. raw venison) is using AM2 spell textures. Any ideas how I can fix this? Have I used an out-of-date config file perhaps? I know that packs that don't use a mod can have out-of-date configs for it.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried to add Engineer's Toolbox from Horizons to Direwolf20 (2.0.2 and 1.0.18) and got ID conflicts. And I did use the launcher to do it. Did I do something wrong?

#Blocks
3291: stair.eucalyptus from Natura - superAlgae from emashercore
3292: stair.sakura from Natura - deadAlgae from emashercore
3293: stair.ghostwood from Natura - null from emashercore
4080: TFUncraftingTable from TwilightForest - emasher_mini_portal from eng_toolbox
4081: emasher_direction_changer from eng_toolbox - blockThermalMonitor from IC2NuclearControl
4082: emasher_frame from eng_toolbox - extrautils:decorativeBlock2 from ExtraUtilities
Suggested Ranges: 2830-3119 (290 IDs), 1556-1752 (197 IDs), 3711-3897 (187 IDs)

Dw20 may not have an updated config. Copy the configs from Horizons for emashers mods over.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
That's important to remember - when a mod pack is first released, it gets a copy of all the configs, even for mods that it doesn't include. Those unused configs are never updated! So when you do add a mod, the config you have is old and may not work. CMIIW.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My bad then. I thought universal configs meant all packs have ID's set for the mods and then individual pack settings are different. IE with Magic Farm being cranked to hard mode.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
My bad then. I thought universal configs meant all packs have ID's set for the mods and then individual pack settings are different. IE with Magic Farm being cranked to hard mode.
I'd be interested to see how the configs are managed. Is it all manual, or do you use scripts to sync the IDs across the various versions of the configs? I use Perl to apply my config customisations, so I can update MF2, run a script, and all the extra mods and config changes get added and re-applied automatically.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be interested to see how the configs are managed. Is it all manual, or do you use scripts to sync the IDs across the various versions of the configs? I use Perl to apply my config customisations, so I can update MF2, run a script, and all the extra mods and config changes get added and re-applied automatically.

I do configs manually. Each release of Monster will always have the most recent updates of the universal configs. Horizons has two config options different than Monster, so I literally copy Monster into Horizons and change the two configs.
Not all the configs are the same for the other packs, however, so they are not always the most up to date.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I added Steve's Factory Manager to MF2, and had to pick some new block IDs. Now, there is an official config with different IDs. I'm ok carrying on as I am, but is there a relatively simple way of switching over to the new IDs? I dont want to have to reprogram my Machine Inventory Manager, and that's one of the IDs that is different. Everything else I could just cheat back in and re-link in the flowcharts.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I added Steve's Factory Manager to MF2, and had to pick some new block IDs. Now, there is an official config with different IDs. I'm ok carrying on as I am, but is there a relatively simple way of switching over to the new IDs? I dont want to have to reprogram my Machine Inventory Manager, and that's one of the IDs that is different. Everything else I could just cheat back in and re-link in the flowcharts.
I suspect this would work.

Reactions: PhilHibbs