FTB Launcher News

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
What? So you're saying people should submit their packs to the FTB launcher to be played by Linux folk? What about the stance the FTB team has on the launcher being depreciated? Is the FTB team still accepting new packs to be listed on the launcher?
wouldn't know if they are taking submissions any more. My brain was jelly before, now its turned to this liquidy goo and my memory is leaking out of me ears in a kinda greyish mess, is hell on my clothes. I don't think it would matter though as people would still have to submit the packs as per what FTB expects to get passed, if they were accepting them. Not for sure to many people would bother. likely wrong though. They aren't exaclty the only linux compatible launcher out there either. AT is still live and kicking and seems to have acceptable pack/mod policies.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I don't want update on The Curse Launcher from ftb, I want update on the alternative that FTB promised. Even more now that Curse said on twitter that it has no plans regarding a Linux Launcher...

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
What? So you're saying people should submit their packs to the FTB launcher to be played by Linux folk? What about the stance the FTB team has on the launcher being depreciated? Is the FTB team still accepting new packs to be listed on the launcher?
They have posted on this. They said any 3rd party mod pack that post to the FTB launcher after the move will need to post a link to the launcher in their thread. For those that don't want to use curse.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want update on The Curse Launcher from ftb, I want update on the alternative that FTB promised. Even more now that Curse said on twitter that it has no plans regarding a Linux Launcher...

Asking for an update on the alternative is, at this point, the same as asking ftb for an update on curse.

You're beating a rather dead horse. I 100% get you're unhappy, as are a lot of Linux users. But badgering here will not amount to anything but the reminder that nothing is changing. Give them time. 4 or 5 months is probably NOT a reasonable amount of time to expect much to be done. Especially considering the unexpected news of curse being acquired by twitch. My guess is that it took much more than 4-5 months to get the ftb launcher working properly.

So what my long winded explanation boils down to is: be patient.

fedprod

Jul 29, 2019
@Magzie, @bgh251f2: curse downloader is a tad too old and won't work nicely anymore, use cmpdl instead,
it even creates a ready mmc instance for you (except for forge, check that manually) ^^
Also yea, official solution just be patient, a few years or so xP

Reactions: Physicist

AdmiralEinstein

Jul 29, 2019
not 100% sure what is going on in this thread, but based on what ive seen so far i would just say this.

People want updates/progress reports/news about ftb and the packs, even if its only to say; "hey nothing really going on but we are still kicking".
Look at the news section, newest post was started in Aug and the last "monthly news" was in June.

This kinda reminds me of how people would go bonkers when eloraam would release a version of redpower after being silent for 6 months, then go inactive again for a year or two... The lack of even a "hey still working on it" drove people nuts.

I look for news and nada, click the news tab on the ftb launcher and it doesnt even work anymore...
Replies to threads are nice, but updates should get a post still, not everyone parses through threads with dozens of pages for an answer that might or might not be there.
Summary, no new news post is bad news.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
not 100% sure what is going on in this thread, but based on what ive seen so far i would just say this.

People want updates/progress reports/news about ftb and the packs, even if its only to say; "hey nothing really going on but we are still kicking".
Look at the news section, newest post was started in Aug and the last "monthly news" was in June.

This kinda reminds me of how people would go bonkers when eloraam would release a version of redpower after being silent for 6 months, then go inactive again for a year or two... The lack of even a "hey still working on it" drove people nuts.

I look for news and nada, click the news tab on the ftb launcher and it doesnt even work anymore...
Replies to threads are nice, but updates should get a post still, not everyone parses through threads with dozens of pages for an answer that might or might not be there.
Summary, no new news post is bad news.

Everyone in this thread is asking for an update with Curse. FTB cannot post a news update when Curse isn't telling them what's going on. At this point it's on Curse to provide the updates, but people don't understand that Curse != FTB.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Where does this attitude of entitlement on game forums, particularly for free content information come from?

Heck, 95% of content that you pay for won't give you that...

Nobody seems to want to believe that sometimes Real Life (tm) or other extenuating circumstances get in the way, particularly if there's no income involved in completion.

From a techie standpoint, I can assure you that wasting several hours of work because you have to stop and write a 'weekly progress report', using a specific font/font size and in the style of a newspaper article at a 3rd grade level w/no technical terms (all requirements we had to meet at a Telcom job I had once) is the least favorite activity.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
They have posted on this. They said any 3rd party mod pack that post to the FTB launcher after the move will need to post a link to the launcher in their thread. For those that don't want to use curse.

Incorrect, did you actually read the question here? Particularily the second portion of it, and I quote myself:
Is the FTB team still accepting new packs to be listed on the launcher?
This question is asking if the FTB team is still accepting 3rd party packs for their launcher, which is NOT the bloatware-filled steam pile delivered by Curse.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
They do accept 3rd party packs. Peruse the third party part of this forum and there are a plethora of new packs that are for the current launcher.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Incorrect, did you actually read the question here? Particularily the second portion of it, and I quote myself: This question is asking if the FTB team is still accepting 3rd party packs for their launcher, which is NOT the bloatware-filled steam pile delivered by Curse.
Two years ago FTB and Curse first came together to form a partnership. Since then both parties have worked together to create a new client designed for installing Minecraft mods and mod packs. A few months ago Curse released a new client on Microsoft Windows and recently have released this new client to OSX/macOS. Whilst there is still some way to go before we completely retire the FTB launcher. We have finally reached a position where we are happy to fully recommend the Curse app as the preferred method for downloading FTB mod packs on both Windows and Mac.

Over the coming months new features will include the ability to download server packs from directly within the Curse app and also the ability to upload crash logs directly to FTB or the relevant pack designer. An API will also be added which will allow server hosting companies to directly access server side packs. Finally, work has started to test the viability of a Linux based client. The Curse dev team has a few Linux enthusiasts among them, so they're really excited about bringing the app to Linux.

Our current plan is to have both the Curse app and the FTB launcher continue to co-exist over the next few months. This is to give Curse the time needed to add the last few remaining features required for feature parity, at which point the FTB launcher will be retired. Once our launcher is retired then we will debrand it and remove all existing download links from our websites and finish the process of moving all FTB mod packs and other related content over to the Curse app. We still plan to make a bare bones version of the launcher stripped of all branding and FTB content available for those packs that remain on the client and cannot move for one reason or another. We have yet to determine whether download links for this stripped down version of the launcher will be hosted, however it's likely that this will be left in the hands of the pack developers that remain on the old launcher.

Finally those who are about to use the Curse app for the first time . Curse have some basic video guides already on their youtube channel which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm8BE-dVxqWjYO29zMWstb7WoFIb3zwgM and further guides will be made available in the coming days.

We as a team sincerely hope that everyone enjoys using the Curse app as much as we do and whilst our focus will now move more and more into mod pack development, as a team we will continue to work with Curse to help them provide the best user experience possible for everyone.
As stated in the op. They are moving to a new launcher. Why would they stop accepting packs cause they are moving to a new launcher. I already posted they have added a new ftb [pack to the FTB launcher. Hermitcraft.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
The process for submitting a third party pack to the FTB Launcher hasn't changed. I'm sure @Watchful11 will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you supply a Curse project ID when submitting your pack can be automatically pushed to a Curse pack as it updates.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So I have sort of question about what should be included to match the functionality between the FTB client the Curse client. It is fairly easy to customize the java arguments in the legacy launcher. However, I can't find a single way to do with the Curse client. Specifically I want to remove the PermSize setting and use a different garbage collector.

This page (https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/208222733-About-Your-Minecraft-Settings) indicates there should be box for it. But it has either vanished or hasn't been implemented yet. I've done all sort of searching on my system for a config or json file that might contain these settings. So far nothing.

So is this a required feature for the Curse client before the old FTB launcher can be retired?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
So I have sort of question about what should be included to match the functionality between the FTB client the Curse client. It is fairly easy to customize the java arguments in the legacy launcher. However, I can't find a single way to do with the Curse client. Specifically I want to remove the PermSize setting and use a different garbage collector.

This page (https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/208222733-About-Your-Minecraft-Settings) indicates there should be box for it. But it has either vanished or hasn't been implemented yet. I've done all sort of searching on my system for a config or json file that might contain these settings. So far nothing.

So is this a required feature for the Curse client before the old FTB launcher can be retired?
this is one of my biggest issues with the curse app right now. i want to remove all the java arguments, except of the max memory one. I just tried out the java argument box that is in the curse options. all it does is add whatever is put into the field onto the end of curses's java argument.

I do like the curse launcher. The only use I have for it is the ease of setting up minecraft instances though. I'm not blocking other possible uses for it. I just haven't found any yet.

Edit:
here is a example of how badly setup the java argument system is:
http://i.imgur.com/VBsEPI7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QRVE7bL.jpg
not for certain how java reads arguments though. it might be a way to counter the default curse arguments in there somewhere.

Edit:
Taking a closer look at the default curse java argument for my setup:
-Xmx8704m -Xms256m -XX:permSize=256m -Dminecraft.applet.TargetDirectory="C:\000 INSTALLED\MINECRAFT\Curse\Instances\FTB Infinity Lite 1.10" -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US

not for sure what most of them do. I thought there were much more to them. They seem very simple and acceptable. The only part i would take out is the permsize. It doesn't make any difference though as java8 just ignores it. Any older release of java would still find it useful though.

Last edited:

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I can't find a single way to do with the Curse client
Works for me. Has been working from day one. Ref: https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/208222733-About-Your-Minecraft-Settings#advanced

Specifically I want to remove the PermSize setting
Why? Java 9 is not compatible with MC/Forge => that argument is safe to be added as command line argument by default.

use a different garbage collector
Works for me. Ref: https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/208222733-About-Your-Minecraft-Settings#advanced

indicates there should be box for it. But it has either vanished or hasn't been implemented yet
Do you have screenshot of Curse's MC options? Did you submit bug report to curse with screenshot?

this is one of my biggest issues with the curse app right now.
... See previous comment about permgen. "-Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US" have been requested by community to fix multiple bugs with MC mods.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Maybe I'm being obtuse about this one but the Java arguments setup looks the same on both launchers. Also the Java arguments are set by the pack dev right?

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
Everyone in this thread is asking for an update with Curse. FTB cannot post a news update when Curse isn't telling them what's going on. At this point it's on Curse to provide the updates, but people don't understand that Curse != FTB.

The header and footer of this forum have URLs/co-branding setup in such a way that it appears to look like an actual part of Curse (to the average person who does not frequent this forum). Which is why this thread is getting the questions.

To resolve this particular confusion, just update the OP with a link to where we should really send our concerns with the Curse Launcher / Curse Voice.

ookagaricrypt

Jul 29, 2019
Where does this attitude of entitlement on game forums, particularly for free content information come from?

Heck, 95% of content that you pay for won't give you that...

Nobody seems to want to believe that sometimes Real Life (tm) or other extenuating circumstances get in the way, particularly if there's no income involved in completion.

From a techie standpoint, I can assure you that wasting several hours of work because you have to stop and write a 'weekly progress report', using a specific font/font size and in the style of a newspaper article at a 3rd grade level w/no technical terms (all requirements we had to meet at a Telcom job I had once) is the least favorite activity.

Except all the reasonable people do accept that Real Life gets in the way. I personally don't DEMAND consistent and detailed updates on every little detail of the organization, and neither do a great many members. But as a person who looks to FTB for a majority of their modded experience, as well as a place where a lot of awesome people who really care about providing a good quality fun experience, I feel it's fair to know if something went wrong. A lot of people rely on FTB for their modded content, and FTB has grown from a small personal and dedicated group of modders to a professional organization. An organization who doesn't force people to pay for their content, but a professional organization nonetheless. I have an emotional investment in FTB (as do god knows how many other people). When so many people are relying on such a big group, it makes sense people would want to know more. Asking for a weekly report may be too much, but even just a bi-weekly statement of, "Hey some stuff is going on we're dealing with it, please be patient ," is better than complete silence for a couple months. I was worried that something had happened, like, I dunno somebody dying, or there being some in-fighting that lead to disbandment. I guess what I'm saying here is I don't think people are DEMANDING updates, they just want reassurance that everything is okay. When you have an investment in something (monetary or emotional or temporal) it can get worrisome when there is a sudden prolonged silence from the people in charge. It's like how if you're kickstarting something you want to know what's going on, because you have a vested interest in the project succeeding, and even the feeling of knowing that something is cancelled doesn't compare to the pain of knowing nothing. The difference being, of course, the price paid isn't the cash monies (moneys?) but is rather the feels.

I guess this whole babblefest's point is "Please understand why some of us may request more updates. It's not entitlement, it's a desire to know that an organization we love and respect is doing okay."