FTB Launcher News

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Must be hard to have a Curse allergy.

I will say though that Curses attempt to pull a Google+ YouTube switcharoo is rather pathetic. It didn't work for google+ it won't work for Curse Voice.

The Curse launcher is pretty good though. It's just a little sad that it's tacked to a redundant tacky pervert of a an app like Curse Voice.

When I first DLed what I thought was the Curse launcher I was like "hey?! What gives, wheres my Minecraft?!" I soon figured out that the launcher was a plugin for Curse Voice. I just clucked my tounge ashamed for FTB.

Curse Voice is a creepy redundant VOIP that will fail to dislodge the old fashioned incumbents of TS and Vent. Will also fail to compete with younger pups like Dischord.

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
Few notes:
Linux support: I do not count linux support as part of the feature parity. Curse Voice/client was never promised to be ported for linux. Solution to install packs in linux was promised. FTB Launcher is still being distributed and packs are being updated for FTB launcher => promise not fullfilled yet but packs are still playable with linux even Curse was *recommended* by core team.

I still think it is really weird (and confusing for new users) to name the Linux version "Legacy" when it is the only official way to play it. It seems to me like they are abandoning and it is only supported for a time and will vanish as soon as they stop with the launcher.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I still think it is really weird (and confusing for new users) to name the Linux version "Legacy" when it is the only official way to play it. It seems to me like they are abandoning and it is only supported for a time and will vanish as soon as they stop with the launcher.
If I understand it correctly they are going to stop with the ftb launcher. Sure it will stick around without all the ftb logo's and stuff but I don't think it will ever be updated beyond that.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I still think it is really weird (and confusing for new users) to name the Linux version "Legacy" when it is the only official way to play it.
I hope feedback will change those links and their names.

It seems to me like they are abandoning and it is only supported for a time and will vanish as soon as they stop with the launcher.
Did you read first post?

bgh251f2

Jul 29, 2019
I hope feedback will change those links and their names.

Well some weeks ago slowpoke said he would change it, and then never answered anymore. That was on a reddit thread. Since then he stopped answering anything there and no change was made, so...

Did you read first post?

Yes I read, considering what I said about the changes, how they are answering things, and the fact that they are "evaluating it" for months I will believe when I have it, not before. They already promised an API, that now is forbidden because of Curse ToS, they already said they would only deprecate after a Linux alternative is available, but they announced in a different and confusing way. I'm not really trusting the ftb team now.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
They already promised an API
Which API, that one which is mentioned int the first post? (I have no knowledge about other APIs promised/announced by FTB team.)

that now is forbidden because of Curse ToS
Well...I just don't understand point of that. Does that mean Curse can't/won't write other terms for API usage as soon as API is being released?

they already said they would only deprecate after a Linux alternative is available, but they announced in a different and confusing way
... still working, packs still being updated. Where is the problem? Did team made wrong decision by recommending Curse for Windows and OS X users before Curse released "linux solution"?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Which API, that one which is mentioned int the first post? (I have no knowledge about other APIs promised/announced by FTB team.)

He's probably refering to this post.

Before closing, I want to make a small personal statement about this. Both Lex and I have spoken about this extensively, both between ourselves and with other people. It should be made clear that it was important for all of us (FTB, Forge and Curse) that this be a community driven project. Whilst our goal will be to have people use the Curse Client to download mods and mod packs, we want people to do that because the Curse Client is the best and not because you're forced to. We have already discussed the subject of other launchers and it is important that they not be frozen out of this. If we want CurseForge to be the primary location for the downloading of mods, then this means that everyone should be able to download from there. Measures will be added to CurseForge to allow this to happen.

Slowpoke's language on places like Reddit has since softened to "Curse wishes to focus on their client first" and "I trust that maybe they'll do it one day." In the meantime, the EULA is clear in that you cannot use Curse's services without their client.

Reactions: bgh251f2 and jikuja

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
[sarcasm] Curse just keeps getting better and better. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though. They keep this up, some young buck's gonna come along, offering mod storage and with an API that's useful and not hidden behind yet another TS/Vent clone and, unless Curse cleans up its act and stops doing weird, occasionally dubious stuff, then Curse's Minecraft section ain't gonna last very long.

Last edited by a moderator:

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
[sarcasm] Curse just keeps getting better and better. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though. They keep this up, some young buck's gonna come along, offering mod storage and with an API that's useful and not hidden behind yet another TS/Vent clone and, unless Curse cleans up its act and stops doing weird, occasionally dubious stuff, then Curse's Minecraft section ain't gonna last very long.

I dunno, I still don't think the lack of an API or the other things mentioned detract from the services provided by CurseForge and even CurseVoice to lead to any grand exit. It doesn't affect enough people, and it doesn't stop pack makers from just downloading mods from the site and putting them in packs elsewhere. Most people probably never read any of the promises or even remember them if they did. And that was still Slowpoke's promise, not Curse's directly that I can recall. When I was trying to get answers out of them initially, Kaelton basically said he can't give any specifics until he has any to share.

Then LexManos said this in the thread, counter to what Slowpoke said:
3) The API for CurseForge. Its silly to speculate on such things right now. Its a highly technical thing as well as a business thing. There will be SOMETHING available because there will HAVE to be for the CurseClient to work. Whether that's officially documented/exposed to outsiders is unknown at this time and will be figured out as it evolves. However on a personal level my goal has always been to provide some sort of open standard API that others can use and implement.

So despite Slowpoke saying that he and Lex talked about it and practically guaranteeing it, Lex was obviously on a different page and offered no such promise, and the language since then from Slowpoke doesn't leave one hopeful for a public API.

That being said, there's a lot you can do without one. Since the bulk of Curse's data can come from a single json database, you can accomplish a majority of actions without really accessing their service much at all. I've been putting together a Java CurseLib which is how both my command-line tool and gutted FTB launcher are working currently. I did run into a minor snag though, and that's how you don't always have the filename of a mod (especially from a modpack manifest), which makes it harder to construct the proper cursecdn download URL. Though I guess you could use the website URL listed for the project and extract the alphanumeric project ID from the end, then construct the alternate CurseForge download URL.

The optimal method would be to fetch the full file details based directly on the numeric project ID and file ID. Unfortunately Curse uses a WCF service interface to do additional requests of this sort, so you're getting into a bloatfest of code to support the soap protocol and all the mess involved with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
The anwser seems simple for me they said the 3rd party packs would still have a striped down launcher for those who can't get on the curse app. If this is the case and they will still be using the pack code system the reg FTB pack could providea pack code for those people who don't want to use the curse launcher to download the pack on the striped down launcher. It would be a win win.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Official FTB packs will not be available on the launcher once it has been stripped down and debranded. It's been said multiple times already that all the FTB content will be taken out.

I understand that several of you have an axe to grind, but please remember to keep the language civil and appropriate for this forum. Thanks.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The anwser seems simple for me they said the 3rd party packs would still have a striped down launcher for those who can't get on the curse app. If this is the case and they will still be using the pack code system the reg FTB pack could providea pack code for those people who don't want to use the curse launcher to download the pack on the striped down launcher. It would be a win win.
That, indeed, would be pretty good. It might even get 3rd party packs more exposure, which I think we can all agree would definitely be a good thing.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
FTB is probably contractually obligated to promote the Curse launcher as part of the partnership, they're not going to support the old launcher for any longer than necessary.

As for the Battle.net friend sync code I found that Curse won't comment on, I think I found who it probably came from. Turns out Lex himself was associated with the Stealthbot project a few years ago. That doesn't exactly make me feel any better about it since you can also find people complaining about getting banned from using that.

Reactions: jikuja

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
FTB is probably contractually obligated to promote the Curse launcher as part of the partnership, they're not going to support the old launcher for any longer than necessary.

As for the Battle.net friend sync code I found that Curse won't comment on, I think I found who it probably came from. Turns out Lex himself was associated with the Stealthbot project a few years ago. That doesn't exactly make me feel any better about it since you can also find people complaining about getting banned from using that.

Woooooooooooow. Not quite sure what to make of that.

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
vs
Once our launcher is retired then we will debrand it and remove all existing download links from our websites and finish the process of moving all FTB mod packs and other related content over to the Curse app. We still plan to make a bare bones version of the launcher stripped of all branding and FTB content available for those packs that remain on the client and cannot move for one reason or another.

My personal interpretation(might be wrong): FTB packs will be removed, branding will be removed from launcher, pack repo and unbranded launcher are available. Note that it says nothing about pack updates or new third party packs . IMO "cannot move for one reason or another" talks about packs not players.

And 100% personal comment about launcher's future: If I continue FTB bugfixing launcher after it has been rebranded I'll do it for legacy pack support not for people who does not want to use Curse App. Harsh but true.

Reactions: Hambeau

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

More likely is that most 3rd party pack makers will just move to one of the other 2 launchers, just take a look at the packs on curse (its been awhile since I did, must be honest here), masses & masses of packs some really great one mingled in with some real total crap & little if any way to find the wheat in all the chaff with out first knowing what to look for, when last I was there all info was more less the same for all packs sparse & limited.

Really for me curse is not an option to find packs, its very cluttered even with the search options, & NO way to tell bad from good, unlike here & the other launchers you can just check the 3rd party section & have all the info you need to see if pack xx suits you.

& for the ppl that love curse fine glad you like it, but for some of us its ugly/bloated/voice!!!!, I my self use vox as its what most of the ppl I play online game with use, easy to setup, easy to use, easy to setup server, never seen it crash yet or have any real issues, it was same with TS when I used that, Curse Voice go stand in the corner & hang your head in shame.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
vs

My personal interpretation(might be wrong): FTB packs will be removed, branding will be removed from launcher, pack repo and unbranded launcher are available. Note that it says nothing about pack updates or new third party packs . IMO "cannot move for one reason or another" talks about packs not players.

And 100% personal comment about launcher's future: If I continue FTB bugfixing launcher after it has been rebranded I'll do it for legacy pack support not for people who does not want to use Curse App. Harsh but true.
1. I have been is defense of the switch since the start of the thread.
2. My post was a suggestion to solve a problem you seem to be having at FTB and was not meant to make anyone mad and I have no clue why this post is coming from maybe save it for the people that are really being jerks.
3. As it stands now we'll see next year before we see any packs as they keep upgrade to the next which means a longer wait for stable official packs.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Aside from maintaining and hosting the current launcher, uploading packs to it is a pain. I still haven't worked out the exact sunsetting process for third party packs, but when we do decommission it, no official FTB packs will be available in any way from the old launcher.

I'm currently predicting large scale, stable packs in 1.10.2 by early fall. Even if 1.11 comes out, it won't set us back much, if at all.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Aside from maintaining and hosting the current launcher, uploading packs to it is a pain. I still haven't worked out the exact sunsetting process for third party packs, but when we do decommission it, no official FTB packs will be available in any way from the old launcher.

When you say "in any way" does that mean people won't be able to launch existing packs they've already installed, or that it just won't download them anymore?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
When you say "in any way" does that mean people won't be able to launch existing packs they've already installed, or that it just won't download them anymore?
Talking strictly about official FTB packs, they will not be able to launch them at all from the old launcher. We will have a process in place to help people move their worlds and customizations from downloaded packs over to the curse app.