FTB Launcher News

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody has danced around this question at all. Refusing to read it being answered does not mean it hasn't been answered. You can't run a plugin without the program it plugs into also being run (hence being called a plugin).

Okay, is there any plans on making something standalone so we don't need to deal with the social/voice aspect, thus eliminating the need for a third party account to even use? If not, such a sad panda here to see the true FTB launcher go to the wayside while we get delivered this steaming pile of junk.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
There aren't any plans and there aren't likely to be any plans for that anytime soon. Curse are open to constructive feedback, so if you really want to make a difference use that feedback button. Note that "get rid of voice" is not constructive ;)

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't any plans and there aren't likely to be any plans for that anytime soon. Curse are open to constructive feedback, so if you really want to make a difference use that feedback button. Note that "get rid of voice" is not constructive ;)

Can't use the feedback button if I can't use the app because of this third party account requirement. One that I wish to not open due to disagreeing with your terms of service.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
And just how do you expect I do so when one of the required fields I can't fill out?

shc5i7J.png

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
That would be either your FTB or Minecraft Forum username, both of which are Curse sites.

I see. I don't Minecraft Forum since the Cobalt Software dislikes my particular browser configuration (Javascript mostly disabled except stuff I explicitly whitelist) so I can't really post there due to the lack of certain functionality server-side with that pile of junk, plus needing said Curse Account, which I had deleted a while ago because I don't agree with your terms. But that does make sense, thank you. Unfortunately what I would suggest is very highly unlikely to even be considered as I would truly love to see the third party account requirement removed to just be able to download modpacks and manage them on my system. Plus I would absolutely love to see some additional installer options such as being able to tell the damn client where to install instead of mucking up my app data folder. But alas. Thank you Quetzi.

e: ... Where the heck did that come from? I never even knew that existed. Please delete that.

Reactions: Padfoote

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
You can choose where your profiles get installed to, at least I know I have them going to a custom location. As far as AppData goes, that is where most programs store their data and isn't unusual, nor a surprise.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
You can choose where your profiles get installed to, at least I know I have them going to a custom location. As far as AppData goes, that is where most programs store their data and isn't unusual, nor a surprise.

Yes, Application Data; that does make sense. But you don't install the entire application to there. That's what things like C:\Program Files are for.

YuIG6GH.png

There's no install options. No nothing; You click install and the application automatically shoves its entire structure into the appdata folder, something some of us don't want due to limited drive sizes, such as SSDs and whatnot. We should be able to tell the application where to put itself.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I understand people are upset about the curse app, but let's tone down the ranting a bit.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I haven't installed Curse, either. That just makes it a bit less appealing. My C drive is strictly for the OS and nothing else. Though, its not strictly a Curse thing, I've seen other programs that install to C (either directly, in Program Files, or AppData) without even asking you where you, the user, want to put the thing or, even more damningly, ask you where you want to install things, then put the majority of the program in the C drive anyway. Unless they fix at least that, I'm going to have to pass on Curse for now. That said, I might put in a ticket there, assuming my account here translates to one there.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
e: ... Where the heck did that come from? I never even knew that existed. Please delete that.

If you'd like your Curse account deleted you will have to contact Curse (using the same form I linked) nobody from FTB has any backend access to Curse accounts (nor should they).

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I remove my defense of the app as i just logged into the FTB laucher to see unstable 1.10 pack and might be temped to say bad things for the next few days......:(

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
My guess as to why it goes in AppData is that they want to be able to auto-update frequently but not require admin privileges to do so. Their target audience is probably kids who may not even have admin access to a machine.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Could this be a possible solution? To have curse take over maintenance of the FTB launcher. Allow them to add the game support functions but keep the social and voice pieces out. As stated the launcher code is hard to change due to it being sloppy. But give them time pre-release to clean it up. This would serve to mitigate the level of disapproval by me and other users

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
My guess as to why it goes in AppData is that they want to be able to auto-update frequently but not require admin privileges to do so. Their target audience is probably kids who may not even have admin access to a machine.

Terms of Service said:
In order to access some features of the Service, you will have to create an account. You must be at least 18 years of age to register an account and by creating an account, you represent that you are at least 18 years old.

Nope.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019

How hard is it to have a parent fill out the form? Considering I've done it already (granted for a kid friendly service, but my point remains the same) for my two kids. And my 4yo helps me when I play. So fyber's point remains valid.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Could this be a possible solution? To have curse take over maintenance of the FTB launcher. Allow them to add the game support functions but keep the social and voice pieces out. As stated the launcher code is hard to change due to it being sloppy. But give them time pre-release to clean it up. This would serve to mitigate the level of disapproval by me and other users
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a80c91ddda3b4cec4767e8722dc8380c8d9ff4b9679d5153a9a2b1fbbfd634e.jpg

Change pack source => Change pack metadata fetching/handling, change of installation method, change launch methods. Implement usage of vanilla launcher & remove current user credential system. Well after those changes it small task to rewrite GUI and voilà we have new launcher with new code.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a80c91ddda3b4cec4767e8722dc8380c8d9ff4b9679d5153a9a2b1fbbfd634e.jpg

Change pack source => Change pack metadata fetching/handling, change of installation method, change launch methods. Implement usage of vanilla launcher & remove current user credential system. Well after those changes it small task to rewrite GUI and voilà we have new launcher with new code.

Whats been done at this point is basically forcing a whole new operating system that requires a new third party acct to use. And I use os as a point of comparison. I said POSSIBLE not practical. I also never said feasible.