FTB Launcher getting removed by Norton

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Rheajr86

Jul 29, 2019
Just here to inform you guys that FTB launcher is getting quarantined by Norton. i restored it and it works fine but i just wanted to post up about it.

Filename: launcher^ftb_launcher.exe
Threat name: Suspicious.Cloud.9
Full Path: c:\users\michael\downloads\launcher^ftb_launcher.exe

Details
Very Few Users, Very New, Risk High

Origin
Downloaded from http://www.creeperrepo.net/direct/FTB2/69a3a8f397273a5e202bc76240c9a3c3/launcher^FTB_Launcher.exe

Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1

On computers as of 3/11/2014 at 9:54:55 PM
Last Used 3/11/2014 at 9:54:55 PM
Startup Item No
Launched No

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week ago.

High
This file risk is high.

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

http://www.creeperrepo.net/direct/FTB2/69a3a8f397273a5e202bc76240c9a3c3/launcher^FTB_Launcher.exe

Downloaded File launcher^ftb_launcher.exeThreat name: Suspicious.Cloud.9
fromcreeperrepo.net

Source: External Media

launcher^ftb_launcher.exe

File Actions

Infected file: c:\Users\Michael\downloads\launcher^ftb_launcher.exeRepaired

File Thumbprint - SHA:
e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
...maybe not xD I was saying norton shouldnt be considered anything
A rootkit is a type of virus that modifies registry files and leaves traces of itself deep in your OS after uninstallation. It is also considered PUPS, which stands for Potentially Unpopular Software.

So Norton Antivirus is really actually a marketed virus with possible benefits.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Norton was bad for your system since before the Michaelangelo Virus hit the big time (circa 1992). At the time it would break Windows, then Windows would update and break Norton, then Norton would release a new version that broke Windows, rinse and repeat.

We (IT dept.) finally got the company to buy McAffee after a year of this nonsense.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, AV software. I suppose if it stops something it's a hero, but most of the time it's just telling us to get off the mountain - it's about to blow! But, I like being on the mountain! So there's our problem.

Norton doesn't want us to live on mountains, so we should move to coastal areas far from mountains.

Rrett

Jul 29, 2019
The antivirus I find that works best is no antivirus at all.

Seriously, I just reformat my HDD everytime something is screwy on my computer and it works 100% fine.

Edit:
Also I download just about nothing I think to be high risk. As long as what you download is not something that creates it's own process the chance of it being a virus is almost nonexistent.

Aslong as you verify your download source and double check URL's you're generally fine. Always make sure you know what you're downloading and about to run aswell.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Even the people who make Norton tell you the #1 Antivirus out there is yourself(last I heard, anyway). And it couldn't be any less true; if you are smart, and careful, don't download files from shady sites, and when you do, make sure you have a plan to clean your computer as soon as you've used the file, and have tons of backup plans... you can get away without having a virus protection program and just use a computer cleanup program as a sort of "morning after" solution. Hasn't failed me!

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with these guys...running a Mac I don't get many viruses, but a friend's computer had tons of viruses (viri? NO ) because he used Norton. He had to completely delete everything and start from scratch not a good time.